Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Melvin Guillard feels hes already the divisions best fighter!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melvin Guillard feels hes already the divisions best fighter!

Link

He says hes ready to fight family or teammates to prove it. That was a pretty bold statement but the rest of the interview is nothing but humble, I can't help but admire the guy changing his life around trying to live up to his potential and focused on being the best he can be.

Bold statement but you'd be foolish to think he doesn't have the potential to be champ. He has power that would put anybodys lights out with great takedown defense and great ability to get back up. I don't think it's that much of a long shot he could land the same blows on Edgar that maynard did and put him to sleep.

I remember I used to talk to him alot. He always had talent and the skill, he was 23 with like 40 fights, come on now. His problem has always been outside distractions. He is basically the Zab Judah of mma. For a long time, he preferred to do nothing rather than improve. At this point, there is not much he can improve, his sub-defense will always be sub par and his energy management is also poor but he has everything else.

If he could fight Maynard or Edgar, I would favor him to win. The problem is, the road to get there is littered with damn good bjj guys. Stevenson, Nate, and now Henderson. He will have to beat a bjj guy before getting a title shot, it's a guarantee. With the way Guida has turned to Jackson's LnP school, that will be a problem too.

If Gomi beats Nate. Which is very possible if Nate thinks he is gonna show out like his brother. Then Melvin is going to have to beat a guy who can take his neck easy. Nate-Gomi is going to fight Melvin, i have a feeling. Unless Bendo shows out.

So, I doubt he will be a champion. Not when guys can just take him to the ground, submitt him and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      I remember I used to talk to him alot. He always had talent and the skill, he was 23 with like 40 fights, come on now. His problem has always been outside distractions. He is basically the Zab Judah of mma. For a long time, he preferred to do nothing rather than improve. At this point, there is not much he can improve, his sub-defense will always be sub par and his energy management is also poor but he has everything else.

If he could fight Maynard or Edgar, I would favor him to win. The problem is, the road to get there is littered with damn good bjj guys. Stevenson, Nate, and now Henderson. He will have to beat a bjj guy before getting a title shot, it's a guarantee. With the way Guida has turned to Jackson's LnP school, that will be a problem too.

If Gomi beats Nate. Which is very possible if Nate thinks he is gonna show out like his brother. Then Melvin is going to have to beat a guy who can take his neck easy. Nate-Gomi is going to fight Melvin, i have a feeling. Unless Bendo shows out.

So, I doubt he will be a champion. Not when guys can just take him to the ground, submitt him and call it a day.
      Definitely don't think the winner of Gomi-Nate fights him, I mean if and I think when Nate wins then maybe a Guillard rematch would be cool, but Melvin's seriously arguably 1 fight away from a title shot if he fights the winner of Miller-Henderson, Stevensons not even relevant at 145 nevertheless 155.

Guida's been rocked several times, Florian beat the **** outta him and tapped him, if Guillard hits him like Huerta, Florian, or Diego, Guida might get stopped by punches. Guillards takedown defense is much better then Danzig, Pettis, Diego or even Florians. Faster and more explosive.

Just saying, it's not out of the realm of possibility not being a nuthugger or bandwagon jumper that he could be champ early next year. Why are people forgetting the Dunham fight when he was such a huge underdog and EVERYBODY said he'd get tapped? People ignorantly ignoring it, not saying any names but nobody's giving him credit. You all know you expect Dunham to be the one of the next contenders if he beat Guillard back in January.

Comment

I don't even know who dunham is. I don't follow the new bums. It takes alot for me to follow someone new in the ufc.

With the way Guida is fighting now. Yes, Melvin will be in trouble. You know it too. That lay and pray stuff frustrates us all. Pettis has great stand up, got lay and prayed. Gomi, why go straight for the takedown if you aren't afraid to stand? Same will be for Guillard if he fights Guida. Guillard is a better wrestler than Clementi, still managed to get submitted.

I can see Nate-Gomi winner fighting him because 1. Nate will be a revenge fight. 2. Melvin has really stated he wanted to fight Gomi before.

Either that, Bendo, or Guida. I'd be very upset if they made Melvin fight Pettis or something. Because that would mean he isn't really in the run for the title, he would essentially be treated like Okami in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          I don't even know who dunham is. I don't follow the new bums. It takes alot for me to follow someone new in the ufc.

With the way Guida is fighting now. Yes, Melvin will be in trouble. You know it too. That lay and pray stuff frustrates us all. Pettis has great stand up, got lay and prayed. Gomi, why go straight for the takedown if you aren't afraid to stand? Same will be for Guillard if he fights Guida. Guillard is a better wrestler than Clementi, still managed to get submitted.

I can see Nate-Gomi winner fighting him because 1. Nate will be a revenge fight. 2. Melvin has really stated he wanted to fight Gomi before.

Either that, Bendo, or Guida. I'd be very upset if they made Melvin fight Pettis or something. Because that would mean he isn't really in the run for the title, he would essentially be treated like Okami in that case.
          People call people out all the time but don't mean it happens, Guillard said he's wanted Stout too, by that you could say a fight with Stout could seriously happen.

Nate's been on a slide so I think they build him back up before they put him in a top fight even if it is against Guillard, plus Guillard's 1 fight before a title shot would be late this year when Gomi fights Nate so I just don't think it's happening but thats just me. I seriously think he gets the winner of Miller-Henderson since he's more exciting then Guida, never said the Guida fight would be easy, but its a part of growing as a fighter, I think Guillard would beat but it'd be tough as hell because Guida is tough as hell.

Dunham a bum? LMAO come on now you've been following MMA for a long time, you don't know who Dunham is? EVERY hardcore fan knows him, he was one of the biggest hype jobs ever after embarrassing Tyson Griffin before his long slide, beating tough veteran Marcos Aurielo who you should know first hand from Gomi, and tapped Efrain in an amazing fight of the year fight. He got robbed against Sherk in his fight. Everybody was on his nuts if you were a hardcore fan you should know this! You stop watching MMA last fall & winter for a hot minute?

hahaha still respect you flicker and agree with almost all of your opinions on things, not coming at you, but funny as the people *****in' on Melvin now say "they don't know who Dunham even is" he main evented against melvin for a reason, not becasue melvin's a big name, he was suppose to fight Florian before Kenny pulled out! Melvin was a HUGGGGEEEEEE underdog...

maybe these will refresh your memory...

Melvin will be champ in 2011!

Kenny vs Florian to headline troops show!

who's ordering UFC 119?

Comment

lol, no seriously. I have no clue who dunham is. For a long while, after UFC started putting on wrestling shows. I stopped following all the new people and just stuck to the ones i know will put on a good fight. It takes alot for me to follow someone new. You have to have talent that no one could see but a few people. Just like I predicted Jon Jones was the future and would be champion when everyone else thought he was too green.

Even if Melvin is 1 fight away, he just had a fight. Guida just had a fight. Bendo is going to have a fight. Nate-Gomi is coming up. So who does Melvin fight, who is a legit opponent? He isn't going to fight in the next 3 months, ufc don't work that way. So by the time he gets his next fight, it will potentially be 70% Guida, 20% Bendo(if he wins), 10% anyone else. Unless they let him fight some random dude and pump up that random dude as a real opponent. Maybe Donald Cerrone.

Melvin could get to Edgar or Maynard. I would favor him to beat them. However, to get there he is going to come across his kryptonite.

Comment

I guess I'm foolish because I don't think he has what it takes to be champion. 5 rounds is plenty of time for someone like Melvin to do make a mistake or something stupid that costs him the fight. He can't handle a strong wrestler like Gray or Edgar. Nor could he keep pace for 5 rounds with the way he fights. As the fight wanes on his speed and explosiveness will take a dive and he'll be on his back more than Jenna Jameson

Comment

Melvin Guillard smokes crack....

Comment

LoL, Kaps, your my favorite mod dude. We argue here and there and you probably generally think of me as a dumb ass, but dude you crack me up. I dunno if anyone else appreciates the one liners. but, imo, thats your best ****. You'll get no argument here; Melvin smokes crack...
                  Last edited by Marchegiano; 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM. Reason: ironically, I left the ass out of dumb ass...dumb ass..

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
                    Melvin Guillard smokes crack....
                    Maybe he does...

Guillard is far from the best, but I love watching the guy fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X