No announcement yet.

WBO Forcing Paul Williams To Vacate The Welterweight Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBO Forcing Paul Williams To Vacate The Welterweight Title

Moving up in weight comes with a price when dealing with the WBO. Paul Williams, the current WBO welterweight champion, moves up to 154-pounds to face Verno Phillips on November 29 for the WBO's interim-title at junior middleweight. Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel, president of the WBO, informed Williams' promoter Dan Goossen that his fighter, pursuant to the WBO rules, would not be allowed to hold WBO titles in both weight divisions. [details]

Ha Ha
    ------

Comment

I think its pretty unfair to Williams, he won that belt by beating Margarito in a tough fight and getting it back from Quintana. I would hate to give something up like that if I were in his shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by chicano79us View Post
        I think its pretty unfair to Williams, he won that belt by beating Margarito in a tough fight and getting it back from Quintana. I would hate to give something up like that if I were in his shoes.
        Well instead of fighting Kolle and now phillips he could off easily give Quintana a third fight and keep his title(Ofcouse if he had won), but he chose this path. So is his own fault.

Comment

Bob Arum must've done a lil backroom dealing with the WBO to set Cotto up with a title before he faces Margarito.

What a opportunist.

Comment

good

you dont go between weight classes, fight in your weight class or be stripped of your belt, i like it

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
              Well instead of fighting Kolle and now phillips he could off easily give Quintana a third fight and keep his title(Ofcouse if he had won), but he chose this path. So is his own fault.
              quintana is at his 2nd fight @ 154 so trilogy is still possible down the line. and you think there would have been much interest for an immediate 3rd fight by fans or networks cmon. quintana would have to come off a win for there to be some interest

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post

I C. Isn't Quintana moving up to 154? Maybe we can see a 3rd fight at that weight.

Comment

Originally posted by egreezy View Post
                  quintana is at his 2nd fight @ 154 so trilogy is still possible down the line. and you think there would have been much interest for an immediate 3rd fight by fans or networks cmon. quintana would have to come off a win for there to be some interest
                  And you think there was interest in kolle or interes in Phillips, come on now. Quintana would off made more sense financially for Williams. But he just dont want any part of Quintana, thats evident!!!!!!
                  Last edited by Ch@mpBox@PR; 11-13-2008, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chicano79us View Post
                    I C. Isn't Quintana moving up to 154? Maybe we can see a 3rd fight at that weight.
                    It might happend but Williams dont want any part of Quintana!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X