No announcement yet.

Shane Mosley's Been Random Drug Tested Five Times

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shane Mosley's Been Random Drug Tested Five Times

WBA welterweight (147 pounds) champion, Shane Mosley, told FanHouse on Tuesday that United States Anti-Doping Agency representative, Chris Forberg, already has randomly drug-tested his blood twice and his urine three times for illegal substances.

"He's like a part of the team now," said Mosley, who once admitted to using the steroids, "The cream," and, "The clear," before defeating Oscar de la Hoya for the second time in September of 2003 in Las Vegas -- this after the Nevada State Athletic Commission's urinalysis-only system failed to detect the drugs in Mosley's system.

Each has agreed to USADA's testing protocols, including unannounced blood and urine testing, anywhere at any time, according to Travis Tygart, chief executive of the United States Anti-Doping Agency, which has been brought in to administer the testing for 38-year-old WBA welterweight titlist Mosley (46-5, 39 knockouts) and 33-year-old challenger Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs).

In accordance with the USDA's protocol, Mosley and Mayweather have submitted their 24-hour whereabouts information, "There is no limit on the number of tests that we can complete on these boxers," and "any positive test will be made public following a thorough legal process that's provided under our protocols," Tygart said during an interview last month.

If either fighter is found to have used performance-enhancing drugs or steroids in advance of their May 1 bout as a result undergoing Olympic Style random drug and urinalysis testing required in their contracts, he could be disqualified in advance of the fight, the bout canceled, and he could face a two-year suspension from boxing.

Reached at his training facilities in Big Bear Lake, Calif., on Tuesday, Mosley spoke to FanHouse in more detail about the testing as well as his training in this Q&A:

FanHouse: I understand that you have already been randomly blood-tested, so how was that for you?

Shane Mosley: I could see how fighters would not like this. I could see how fighters would not like to give blood and to be so-called harassed or to be on notice 24 hours a day, where ever you go. I could see how it could be bothersome.

But at the same time, I kind of like it. It's truly a good thing. I think that it's great for the sport. It will change the mentality of a lot of fighters, and what they need to do to get themselves together and to get themselves in shape. I think that it's great. Everybody knows that you're clean.

It may have more of an effect on Floyd Mayweather more than myself. This is right up my alley. I love doing this.

FH: How many times have you done it?

Mosley: I've already seen these guys three times already. I've been blood-tested two times and I've taken the urine test three times. I can't wait for it to come up again. The guy's a part of the team, now. He shows up, drives me to go and get sandwiches and to go bowling or whatever.

He drives me all over the place. He's like a part of the team now, the guy who tests me.

FH: So can you tell me about the testing?

Mosley: The first time it was blood and urine. The first time was like two weeks ago, and then, he came back again the next week, and then he came back three days later.

FH: Did he tell you that you had to be at a certain place or time?

Mosley: They just wanted to know where you wanted to be. If you wanted to do it down the hill, or if you wanted to go and be somewhere at a certain place or time, then you have to notify them, like, by e-mail, to let them know that you're going down the hill or to a dentist's appointment.

Whatever it is, they will go with me.They'll go with me, where ever it is. But I was always here in Big Bear. I was always at my house. I don't really leave my house any way. I always stay here. I don't go nowhere. So he just came to my house, and we'd do the test.

FH: So can you tell me about the procedures?

Mosley: Yeah, they stick a needle in your arm. They have a phlebotomist that comes with them the first time. They get all of the capsules and make sure that they're not cracked and different things. Make sure that the urine bottles are okay. They do the urine test and then they put the needle in there and take the blood.

Then they lock it all up, make sure that it's all sealed good, and they ship it out.

FH: Any results yet?

Mosley: Well, if they haven't said anything, and nothing's been said, then I'm good.

FH: Well, you know that you're good, right?

Mosley: Man, I've been good for so long, it's ridiculous. [Laughs.] I know that I'm good. Knew that from Day One. That's just the type of athlete that I am.

FH: So is this good for boxing?

Mosley: I love it. I think it's a great thing for the major fights. It could throw a lot of people's fight game off because the Olympic style testing is way different from regular testing. You can't even really go to the store and buy medicine for your cold really unless you okay it with them.

Your test can show up dirty if you take certain types of medicines or nasal sprays. You could maybe take Claratin and your test could show up positive. You have to really call them and ask them, "Can I take this?" or, "Can I take that?" They really don't want you to take anything. They don't even want you to take vitamins.

If you're taking some protein and it has some kind of residue that contains something illegal, you can test positive. That doesn't mean that you test positive for steroids, but you may test positive because there's something in there that could just mess you up.

No matter what vitamin you take, what type of aspirin you take, then they need to know, because it could show up positive on your test. You really have to be open with them about everything and they have to know everything that you're doing at any and all times.

Like if you get hurt, or something, and you take something, it could show up positve. You have to be really open with them about everything, and they've got to know exactly what you're doing at any and every time. There's no name on the bottle saying, 'This is Shane's test,' or, 'This is Floyd's test.' It's just a number.

They take it to the lab, and they'll say if that numbered bottle is positive or negative. It could be me, Mayweather and the whole Olympic team. They're all numbers that thrown into the pot, and whatever shows up positive shows up positive.

FH: So, overall, you're happy that you're involved in pioneering this procedure?

Mosley: You know, this is a great thing. I hope that people understand that this incident with me happened in 2003, and I've been doing my thing for seven years now. Before 2003, and after 2003, I was doing my thing. I'm not that type of person anyway.

This thing is really helping me out, because I'm really seeing how you really don't need to take vitamins too much. I think I feel better right now than I did when I was taking all of those vitamins. I think that what happens with the vitamins, your kidneys have to digest and separate all of that stuff and it weakens your body because your body's trying to fight off something that you don't need.

Like with *Darryl Hudson, I must have taken, like, 20 different vitamins with Darryl. It was killing me. I was wondering why I felt so terrible and bad. Now, I'm feeling like this guy [Forberg] is like a part of the team. I'm actually learning something right now.

Like I said, this guy's been with us for like two weeks, and I'm actually learning something. The steroids for performance enhancement -- pills, drugs, and whatever that extra stuff is, your body is not made for all of that extra stuff.

*Note: Darryl Hudson, Mosley's former trainer and conditioning coach, supported contentious allegations against Mosley accusing the fighter of knowingly using banned steroids in 2003. Mosley has denied knowingly doing so.

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/04/0...dy-five-times/

Pretty thorough scheme and tough for athletes to give their whereabouts at all times. One can understand why this is expensive, but IMO it's the way to go. Perhaps not as comprenhensive as this, but this appears to be the standard of excellence.

I want to buy stock in WADA certified labs.

Comment

Quite funny how Shane starts out by saying "I could see how fighters would not like this. I could see how fighters would not like to give blood and to be so-called harassed or to be on notice 24 hours a day, where ever you go. I could see how it could be bothersome..." then goes on to totally praise it lol.

Sounds like the tests aren't a problem for him, he sounds real focused for May 1

Comment

tester: hey shane where you going?

shane: get some chicken selects & a tea

tester: get me a #3. Ima meet you there.

sounds like they are really on them boys. I'm sure floyd don't like this b/c he his own boss but hopefully he not giving these people a hard time since this is his idea.

Comment

cool.... @ Shane saying the tester is like part of the team now!!....thats whats up ....so now its been confirmed that these vitamins and supplements fighters be taking may be tainted.....I wonder what Ariza is giving his dudes?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Piper the Great View Post
            tester: hey shane where you going?

shane: get some chicken selects & a tea

tester: get me a #3. Ima meet you there.
            HAHAHA. Yeah, it's a funny deal. If the guy's a boxing fan, he's probably loving this ****, getting to hang out with Shane and bask in the big fight atmosphere. I wouldn't mind hanging with Shane, he seems like a cool guy

Comment

I think it's all abit silly really. I mean WOW being watched by big brother 24/7? **** that ****.

Comment

The testing sux. It violates ones right to privacy and freedom. Mosley is treated like a prisoner here.

Comment

Originally posted by jasbar View Post
                  The testing sux. It violates ones right to privacy and freedom. Mosley is treated like a prisoner here.
                  Gotta be a Pac fan....

Comment

Originally posted by COACH-WEBB View Post
                    Gotta be a Pac fan....
                    Im a nuetral fan. U must be a Mayweather fan.

Comment

Working...
                    X