Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you allow your children to watch boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will when the time comes, yes.

I was watching and involved with boxing fom the age of 3, I would encourage kids the same.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
      I will when the time comes, yes.

I was watching and involved with boxing fom the age of 3, I would encourage kids the same.
      Did you often get into confrontations with other children? Did it have any negative effect on you? Do you remember if you understood not to just haul off and slug a friend thinking you were "playing boxing".

Comment

if your that worried about it why not just hold off a little on it i dont see the problem tho no different then kids watching wrestling

Comment

I don't have kids but i'll answer for my father: Yes, i've watched boxing since I was a kid. I watched big live ppv's with my pops like Tyson-Holyfield and Trinidad-De La Hoya. No I did not end up looking for fights in the streets or ended up in jail, or fighting a lot in school. I am not violent either. I am in college, criminal record is non-existent. If that is what you're asking.

It's solely up to the parents and the child's temperament/nature, to begin with. I can't say environment because I was raised in a bad neighborhood, but I didn't let it influence my life. It's really up to the parents and how they raise the child. Television and games is just an excuse for terrible parents who did a bad job raising their kids to divert the blame on something else.

Comment

My daughter has been watching boxing with me since she was 3 shes 7 now and she loves it also.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by NatiKid View Post
              if your that worried about it why not just hold off a little on it i dont see the problem tho no different then kids watching wrestling
              I'm not worried about it at the moment. I'm asking because I'm curious if it was something I should be worried about. I actually think wrestling would be more detrimental to a toddlers state of mind than boxing would be. (The use of chairs and other gimmicks, faked hatred, alot of rule violations that go unpunished, etc)

I think its interesting that alot of parents approve of children attending martial arts, and actually feel it improves the childs discipline and structure, but have an aversion to boxing. I once asked a ju-jitsu/mma instructor (not the one from the gym I assist in, but a different one) when he fealt someone should begin learning, his response was "I think they should start right out of the womb, but in reality, they probably would have a better grasp of the concepts at the age of 4 and older". As someone who assists in an MMA gym from time to time, I'd completely disagree, as alot of the tactics in Judo,JuJitsu,MMA can be fatal if someone doesn't understand when to let go. I'd hate to hear of a kindergardener breaking another childs arm or choking another child to death. But we have a difference in opinion, I may be right, he may be right.

I hope I'm not coming off as worried, I'm really just interested in what people in similar situations have chosen to do.

Comment

I don't have kids but I'd have no problem at all letting them see the sweet science. What I love about boxing is that it's one-on-one and it promotes RESPONSIBILITY and respect. There's nowhere to hide with boxing. You either man-up or get hurt. (In that sense it was a big wake-up call for me when I tried it out when I was a kid anyway.) It's like, yeah, you can feel free to punch the other guy, but he's gonna try to punch you too and for three minutes you're not getting any help. I just love how boxing is so fair that way (Let's just pretend all judges are legit for a minute lolz.) and it's why it will always be my passion. And, ultimately, as long as you have a responsible ref, boxing should be pretty safe.

As for that pretend fighting done by men in obscene amounts of oil and ridiculously tight clothing, where they also happen to hit each other with chairs and stuff, I wouldn't really care that much if my kid really wanted to watch wrestling, but I'd make sure they'd watch at least some real combat sport too, and nothing beats boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by whoelibits View Post
                  I don't have kids but I'd have no problem at all letting them see the sweet science. What I love about boxing is that it's one-on-one and it promotes RESPONSIBILITY and respect. There's nowhere to hide with boxing. You either man-up or get hurt. (In that sense it was a big wake-up call for me when I tried it out when I was a kid anyway.) It's like, yeah, you can feel free to punch the other guy, but he's gonna try to punch you too and for three minutes you're not getting any help. .

In my situation, I'm pretty sure my 3 year old daughter is not thinking that far into it.

Which brings the question once again, what age would you let them start boxing? At birth? At 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10?

Comment

Its compulsory in my house, at the kids current age (5 and 3, both girls) they dont really know what it is they're watching, but I do explain things, and they like to sit and watch, though wether thats because they like the sport or just love being with the old man is another matter entirely!
                    When my boy reaches the 3 year mark, I'll do the same with him, and start taking him to the gym once he hits 9/10

Comment

boxing is a sport so any age they want to, they should be allowed to.

Comment

Working...
                      X