Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Floyd not mentioned when anyone talks about "out of prime boxers"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because its freaking obvious that he is. He almost got KTFO against Ortiz and a AARP Mosley.

Comment

Because he is that much better than most of the fighters today, floyds been past prime since de la hoya IMO. 5 years past but still a beast. Stills looks good and is a real ww now, but floyd historically and physically has never been a ww and jumped to get the fights, his body has finally adapted i think due to age. floyd vs mosley looked alot bigger than floyd vs hatton/mitchell etc

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
        His prime days are over, he was the best at 130 and very strong at 135/140.
        He is 35 four years older than Cotto and everyone talks about how Cotto is
        out of his prime, but everyone thinks Mayweather is still in his prime and
        unstoppable.

When De La Hoya fought Mayweather, everyone said how DLH was over the hill (DLH was 34-35 at that time) and Mayweather was 30 at that time (Same age as Cotto). Makes no sense.*

what's your opinion?
        A different set of rules applies to Mayweather according to Boxing Forum troll.

Comment

this crossed my mind when i was watching the morales fight the other day

Comment

It's different ages with boxers. I don't think someone goes from Prime immediately to past their prime completely. There's usuall a stage where a fighter is past their prime-still good. I think that's where Floyd, Manny, Cotto, and Williams are today.

Look at Wlad, he's like 35 and arguably in his prime still. Sergio is 37 and still as fresh and quick as ever. Cotto and Morales were past their prime-still good by the time they were 29.

It' varies with different fighters. Ali was past his prime-still good by the time he was 28 because of his long layoff from the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
              Because its freaking obvious that he is. He almost got KTFO against Ortiz and a AARP Mosley.
              Floyd KO4 Ortiz
              Floyd UD12 Mosley

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=352&cat=boxer

check it out if you dont believe me, wouldnt surprise me if you didnt watch either fight

yep, he was really close to losing those fights. if anything, you stupid idiot, mosley came close to KOing floyd when he caught him with that bomb, ortiz's best shot was his headbutt, so why dont you go whine and cry with the other tards that want floyd to lose so badly, and know it'll never happen, and you cant just let it go. face it hooks, no one in boxing is beating floyd, and he is gonna retire undefeated and always be remembered, pacquiao, meh... still questionable...

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
                It's different ages with boxers. I don't think someone goes from Prime immediately to past their prime completely. There's usuall a stage where a fighter is past their prime-still good. I think that's where Floyd, Manny, Cotto, and Williams are today.

Look at Wlad, he's like 35 and arguably in his prime still. Sergio is 37 and still as fresh and quick as ever. Cotto and Morales were past their prime-still good by the time they were 29.

It' varies with different fighters. Ali was past his prime-still good by the time he was 28 because of his long layoff from the sport.
                dont heavyweight typical peak later, though?

Comment

Originally posted by wave View Post
                  dont heavyweight typical peak later, though?
                  Depending on the fighter.

Ali's prime was 1964-1967, age 22-25. Frazier's prime was 1968-1973, ages 24-29.

The good examples of HW's peaking late would be Ken Norton, Ron Lyle, Larry Holmes, Vitali Klitschko, and Wladimir Klitschko, off the top of my head. Even Lennox's prime was 1992-1999/2000 or so, ages 27-34. It's very rare to see someone at Wlad and Sergio's ages in their prime still.

Comment

Mayweather is past his prime but still one of, if not the best fighter in the sport.

Same as Pacquaio and Marquez.

Comment

Working...
                    X