Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Is A Waste Of Time - Agree or Disagree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msagrain View Post
    Genetic engineering in farming along with building-integrated agriculture.
    Ah yes. The ol' GMO food production sector.

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
      Yes I've heard that manufacturing is a growing field, but farming? how so?
      I was surprised myself and couldn't believe it but the data is unquestionable.

For the last 40-50 years agriculture has been an extremely depressed industry. Depressed meaning low growth, low upside on profits, too much risk-on on a yearly basis.

That is about to change when you factor in that paper money is quickly losing value, most farmers are aged on average 50+ year old and in the event of hyperinflation (which is sure as crap) a pound of wheat will cost itself the same weight in silver.

And let's also add more demand since population as a whole has been growing.

Comment

Originally posted by mokmokv2 View Post
        I was surprised myself and couldn't believe it but the data is unquestionable.

For the last 40-50 years agriculture has been an extremely depressed industry. Depressed meaning low growth, low upside on profits, too much risk-on on a yearly basis.

That is about to change when you factor in that paper money is quickly losing value, most farmers are aged on average 50+ year old and in the event of hyperinflation (which is sure as crap) a pound of wheat will cost itself the same weight in silver.

And let's also add more demand since population as a whole has been growing.
        That's interesting. I'm somewhat concerned about the quality of the food crops if they're messing with the rate of growth in the name of supplying a growing population. It's a question of ethics in certain circles.

It veers away from the natural order of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          Certain degrees are worth much more like science and medical but how many "accounting" degrees are gonna find great jobs? Like every other person gets one or a business degree

There are many jobs out there that are unfilled because they are specialized jobs that require training, not 4+ years of stuff you won't ever remember
          I have to disagree with you here, while business degrees aren't anything special, accounting degrees show employers a bit more initiative and are a pretty solid degree to have. Everyone I know with science degrees (outside of like biomedical engineering phds) have crappy ass lab jobs that pay hardly more than gas stations. These are really smart people too, but there are no jobs out there for this.

For the medical degrees, there is just a huge saturation of nurses hitting the job market right now. But when the baby boomers start progressively passing away over the next 20 or so years what is going to happen? We are going to have an assload of nurses in their 40s and 50s with no jobs.

Honestly I'd rank them this way (for 4 year undergraduate degrees)

Accounting
          Nursing
          Business
          Science

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
            That's interesting. I'm somewhat concerned about the quality of the food crops if they're messing with the rate of growth in the name of supplying a growing population. It's a question of ethics in certain circles.

It veers away from the natural order of things.
            You're talking about monsanto and its affiliates on the fact that scientists have discovered that the GMO food that they're producing actually causes cancer and other diseases.

Bear in mind that monsanto is owned by the freemasons.

And to say that those diseases on their GMO's are a product of accident is hilarious. The amount of precision they put into developing those GMO's will automatically discount the theory that cancers on their products are a matter of accident.

Which ultimately brings me to my furthest point.

"Clean" food (non-GMO) will become a premium product in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by mokmokv2 View Post
              You're talking about monsanto and its affiliates on the fact that scientists have discovered that the GMO food that they're producing actually causes cancer and other diseases.

Bear in mind that monsanto is owned by the freemasons.

And to say that those diseases on their GMO's are a product of accident is hilarious. The amount of precision they put into developing those GMO's will automatically discount the theory that cancers on their products are a matter of accident.

Which ultimately brings me to my furthest point.

"Clean" food (non-GMO) will become a premium product in the near future.
              If you want to eat organic foods, that is fine. You're fortunate to live in a country where you can afford such luxury and preference. Many people are not this fortunate. Genetically-enhanced yield crops are responsible for feeding most of the world's population. Have you ever heard of Norman Borlaug? When he won the Nobel Peace Prize in the 70's it was estimated he had saved at least a billion lives from starvation with his genetically-enhanced strains. By fighting genetically-enhanced food you're basically fighting for 2 billion some people to die of starvation.

Comment

depends where you go, why you go, and what you study.

Comment

It depends.

If you choose a field that is in heavy demand, then it's not a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                    Certain degrees are worth much more like science and medical but how many "accounting" degrees are gonna find great jobs? Like every other person gets one or a business degree

There are many jobs out there that are unfilled because they are specialized jobs that require training, not 4+ years of stuff you won't ever remember
                    I think your statement about accounting degrees is misled. If any degree, accounting will get you a stable job out of college - and a good-paying one at that.

I'm going to graduate in May with an accounting and finance degree and all of my offers for full-time jobs out of school have been for at least $55,000 a year. I don't know about you, but I think that's a decent salary for a 22-year old.
                    Last edited by sukhenkoy; 12-18-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X