Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The [Margarito] insert was about the size of a business card. And about as stiff."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The [Margarito] insert was about the size of a business card. And about as stiff."

This is probably old news, but I just recently ran into this quote from Gabriel Montoya which I hadn't heard before.
    Ok. So I was at the hearing where Margarito/Capetillo had their licenses revoked. I got to see and touch the hand wrap insert as well as get a demonstration of how the hands were wrapped and the insert placed inside. There used to be a report on Maxboxing by me on the hearing but we changed servers and the story has been lost. I have since found it in my emails so if you want it PM me.

The handwraps were basically made to hide the inserts. The insert was about the size of a long business card. And about as stiff. It was not the rock or steel people make it out to be. It looked like a dirty, folded or ironed piece of old gauze. The knuckle pad was wrapped around it so unless you really got in there to inspect it, you wouldn't see it.
    So I'm now kind of worried Cotto will get the same beat down as before if this is actually true.

From what Capetillo had stated They brought used pre made knuckle pads from the gym. Meaning these pads were just old gauze and alot of times if you want to make the pad out of gauze to cover your entire knuckle area one way to do that is to cut out a piece of cardboard the same width as your knuckles and fold the gauze over that back and forth to make an even fit pad.

But you dont leave the cardboard in there you remove it when your done... I have stated before and I will say it now, I think this hand wrap issue got blown way out of hand, sure it was not clean or fresh gauze which is illegal but it doesnt mean he had this brick in his hand or plaster.

in fact Brother Nazim stated in interviews that when he saw it a "Block" fell out of the wrap... I would like to know what happend to that "Block" he claims fell out.

the knuckle pads were stiff and bendable according to CSAC, which tells me they were nothing more than old pre used pads in which the sweat dried out and made them stiff...

Comment

It's old news that Margarito was suspended on a suspicion. No concrete evidence was ever found. I agree it was blown way out of proportion and injustice was done to a fighter.

Why would a fighter, or trainer even risk his own fighters hand with a plaster of paris which has the ability to cook ur fingers like a hot dog in boiling water.

Freddie Roach is forever on my **** list for this too. When Margarito was out looking for a new trainer, Freddie was trying to court him bad, saying he believed Margarito and what not. But as soon as he didn't get the job he was one of the biggest **** talkers about it.

Comment

Originally posted by .::|ULTIMATE|::. View Post
        It's old news that Margarito was suspended on a suspicion. No concrete evidence was ever found. I agree it was blown way out of proportion and injustice was done to a fighter.

Why would a fighter, or trainer even risk his own fighters hand with a plaster of paris which has the ability to cook ur fingers like a hot dog in boiling water.

Freddie Roach is forever on my **** list for this too. When Margarito was out looking for a new trainer, Freddie was trying to court him bad, saying he believed Margarito and what not. But as soon as he didn't get the job he was one of the biggest **** talkers about it.
        Exactly its funny how these people just sit here and claim he had plaster when the friggen test results kind of shot that theory down especially when the DA decided not to go after a criminal case once those results did come back

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
          This is probably old news, but I just recently ran into this quote from Gabriel Montoya which I hadn't heard before.

So I'm now kind of worried Cotto will get the same beat down as before if this is actually true.

......And contained elements of sulfur and calcium like those in plaster of paris, that would harden when exposed to oxygen and water. There is a good youtube where Nazeem talks about the whole situation, tape in places where it wasn't supposed to be, the hardened and wet pads.

Regarding the size what do you expect to realistically fit over the knuckle area that he could get away with? Pretty obvious they wanted to increase the impact plus protect Margaritos hands so he could punch anywhere on his opponents like elbows, top of the head without concern for hand injury.

Removing the advantage of the pads doesnt make Margarito punch like Malignaggi but it should level the field and take away those advantages and his potential to damage opponents like he was.

Comment

Originally posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
            Exactly its funny how these people just sit here and claim he had plaster when the friggen test results kind of shot that theory down especially when the DA decided not to go after a criminal case once those results did come back

Wrong they did find elements of calcium and sulfur, they also decided to believe Margarito to not have known about the inserts. Probably why they didnt go after him. Course you seen Roach, pac and many others opinions reagrding whether he likely knew about the wraps... so its a judgment call Personally I think they should have sat him down for the rest of his career all things considered. Look at his fight with Pac he tried to jack himself on ephedra pre-fight something which is illegal and something he claimed to do before every fight he has had. Real professional right?

Comment

Me too, this is why I supported Margarito when 99% of BoxingScene was hating on him. Im a natural Conspiracy Theorist but I just never bought it, if Margarito ever put something hard like they claimed he had, he would break his hands on the first few punches. To me it sounded like old/dried up Gauze.

Nazim is a known BS'er and liar who will cheat then cry wolf for the smallest little thing. He trains the dirtiest fighter in Boxing yet still complains about smallest stuff. He is the type of person to Rob and steal your wallet then turn around and call the cops because you punched him in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom213 View Post
                Wrong they did find elements of calcium and sulfur, they also decided to believe Margarito to not have known about the inserts. Probably why they didnt go after him. Course you seen Roach, pac and many others opinions reagrding whether he likely knew about the wraps... so its a judgment call Personally I think they should have sat him down for the rest of his career all things considered. Look at his fight with Pac he tried to jack himself on ephedra pre-fight something which is illegal and something he claimed to do before every fight he has had. Real professional right?
                You can find whatever you want if you are looking hard enough, if you take a fighters gloves/wraps after a fight you will find like 50 compounds, doesnt mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Medved View Post
                  Me too, this is why I supported Margarito when 99% of BoxingScene was hating on him. Im a natural Conspiracy Theorist but I just never bought it, if Margarito ever put something hard like they claimed he had, he would break his hands on the first few punches. To me it sounded like old/dried up Gauze.

Nazim is a known BS'er and liar who will cheat then cry wolf for the smallest little thing. He trains the dirtiest fighter in Boxing yet still complains about smallest stuff. He is the type of person to Rob and steal your wallet then turn around and call the cops because you punched him in the face.
                  My thoughts exactly.

It's ridiculous how the media/boxing fans threw Margarito under the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom213 View Post
                    And contained elements of sulfur and calcium like those in plaster of paris, that would harden when exposed to oxygen and water.
                    Apparently Margarito's lawyer used the defense that calcium and sulfur is also found in hand lotion, which I guess is plausible.

Did they actually test the pads by adding water? Did it actually harden? Nazim claimed they were hard already before the fighting even happened, but what I don't understand is why they still weren't hard during the hearing?
                    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 11-05-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X