Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather has to fight elite welters, but Pac doesn't have to fight elite JWWs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pac beat the lineal champ at JWW. Then he moved up and won a WW title. If he stayed at JWW, damn right he needs to face the top contenders.

Comment

**** outta here with this thread. Ricky Hatton was clearly the best JWW when Pac destroyed him. Bradley is just starting to prove himself, and the fight against peterson will tell alot

Floyd gets criticism for not facing the best; It just happens to be that these guys are in his weight class

Cotto>>>>>>any JWW
      Floyd>>>>>>any JWW
      Mosley>>>>>>any JWW

So if Floyd fight falls through like I expect it to, Pac still will go out and face the best availabe.

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
        Seems like a double standard.

Boxing fans cry that Floyd doesn't clean out the welterweight division and he needs to fight elite welters instead of just taking money fights. But I don't hear anyone calling for Manny to do that.

Why doesn't anyone cry for Manny to fight the Tim Bradleys of the world?Simple. Because Floyd is held to a higher standard.

Let's say that 147 is Floyd's natural division and 140 is Pacquiao's. They both moved up one class above their natural weight to get a title (DLH and Cotto). But after Floyd beat Oscar, everyone cried that he needed to face legit elite welters, including me. But now that Manny has gone up the scales similarly to Floyd, he doesn't have to clean out divisions or fight the best in his natural division to gain respect. Instead, people think Manny should just be able to take big money fights and retire.

To be honest, I could care less. Pacquiao-Mayweather is the only fight that really matters right now. It's just amazing how these double standards work.

Floyd gets no credit for going up the scales, winning titles, and making superfights, because he's not cleaning out divisions. On the flip side, Manny gets maximum credit for doing the same thing.

It goes to show how far being an ******* gets you.
        I don't really see what you don't understand. Pac moves up dominates supposedly bigger stronger opponents and moves on to the next while Floyd beats Oscar in a competitive fight then fights Hatton moving up and JMM moving up......taking on a legit challenge like Cotto is > than fighting Bradley......what great challenge has Floyd taken on after he beat DLH?

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
          Pac's last 4 fights - David Diaz, De La Hoya, Hatton, Cotto
          Mayweather's last 4 fights - Baldomir, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez

The difference is not that much. And when you consider David Diaz was mediocre at best and De La Hoya was weight drained, it becomes much closer.

Pacquiao is greater right now, I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying is that people shouldn't just swim with the current. A lot of people just say "who has Floyd beat", "what has he really accomplished", without looking at his entire body of work.
          yup!!! I agree

Comment

Working...
          X