No announcement yet.

Jones' sidekick to the leg should be illegal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
    I've always thought that those sort of direct kicks targeting hyperextension of the knee should be illegal.

I hate elbows on the ground as well, but for different reasons. Mainly, because their main effect is to open cuts. It really takes the "sport" out of it for me.
    I agree with all this.

You get people (like don_cov) who jack off over the sight of blood.

Comment

The same hyper extension happens with Knee bars too. I'd rather see the footstomps and elbows go, but would like to see knees and kicks to a downed opponent added...

Comment

I guess kneebars, armbars, ect should all be illegal as well.

Fighters get their arms and legs broken even when they tap. No one has gotten an injured knee or tapped out to Jones's kicks, but they should be illegal over proven career ending moves like the ones I just mentioned.

Silly stuff here.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
          I disagree. If they banned them they might as well ban Heel hooks and kneebars too...
          Wow, I agree with you for once KAP, lord have mercy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post

Fighters get their arms and legs broken even when they tap. No one has gotten an injured knee or tapped out to Jones's kicks, but they should be illegal over proven career ending moves like the ones I just mentioned.

Silly stuff here.
            Difference being there are defenses to submission holds and within the context of "sport" if a fighter fails to defend the hold then its fair game. as far as jones' sidekick to the leg goes...there is no defense for it when properly timed.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
              It's more complicated than that. With Jones' reach he doesn't have the risk of a counter hitting him.

It should be banned because he deliberately tries to maim his opponent. Injures happen, but that is a dangerous move. Just wait til someone's knee caves in as a result. I've seen it happen in the gym. It's awful.
              it's not that complicated. the damage comes from a planted foot. lift your leg and the kick literally does nothing. because the joint can then make it's natural movement.

but i understand the dangers of it. i practice martial arts (not mma). so i know and i do have some conflict with it but the kick can very easily be neutralised as well.

whether or not someone can counter doesn't matter. taking damage vs not taking damage is what i'm getting at. the damage can be avoided but it's still a dangerous technique.

Comment

The same hyper extension happens with Knee bars too. I'd rather see the footstomps and elbows go, but would like to see knees and kicks to a downed opponent added...
                this is different. the submission gives an opportunity to avoid serious injury. where as the kick, somewhat doesn't.

take aoki's arm drag technique. he only used it once and it's taught in martial arts. during teaching it looks 'fake'. the usual response "oh he's just following him to the floor".

then it's really applied where homeboy doesn't follow. instant arm break. aoki used it and instantly broke the dude's arm. i don't believe aoki ever used it again, although it's not a banned technique.

certain techniques just aren't sport safe because they are meant to maim.. in other words, their purpose is to maim.

Comment

It's not the same thing to strike a joint directly as it is to apply a submission.

That said, it is true that some of these are banned in certain formats for precisely this reason.

But the main difference for me is that a submission hold is intended to get a guy to tap. A direct strike to the knee cap is intended to debilitate the leg, not induce a submission or cause a knockout (the two ways of finishing a fight). Rather, it is to create structural damage which will make the guy less effective. Given the danger and consequences these kicks can have, I don't think they should be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post

Silly stuff here.
                    It isn't like there is not plenty of documented precedents over the effects of this kind of kick in the world of martial arts/kickboxing. Don't be a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                      this is different. the submission gives an opportunity to avoid serious injury. where as the kick, somewhat doesn't.

take aoki's arm drag technique. he only used it once and it's taught in martial arts. during teaching it looks 'fake'. the usual response "oh he's just following him to the floor".

then it's really applied where homeboy doesn't follow. instant arm break. aoki used it and instantly broke the dude's arm. i don't believe aoki ever used it again, although it's not a banned technique.

certain techniques just aren't sport safe because they are meant to maim.. in other words, their purpose is to maim.
                      The very technique he used is a banned technique in judo, for precisely these reasons.

Comment

Working...
                      X