No announcement yet.

Martinez should move up to 168

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martinez should move up to 168

Martinez could easily capture another belt up at SMW.

Just re-watched his fights vs Chavez Jr and Pavlik and these guys had no answer despite weighing in as Cruiserweights on fight night.

I think he'd easily outpoint a guy like Froch using his slickness and speed as he did in the 2 fights above. Froch wouldn't come in any heavier than those insanely re-hydrated middleweights

Thoughts?

He easily could.

But we need him to stay at 160 to provide us with gifs of Floyd getting plankquiaoed.

Comment

Froch would spark Martinez out

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
        Froch would spark Martinez out
        Do you not think he's too slow to do that?

And of course Martinez's sharp reflexes

Comment

Originally posted by Clark81 View Post
          Do you not think he's too slow to do that?

And of course Martinez's sharp reflexes
          I think he could easily outbox Arthur Abraham (WBO) using superior hand-speed and footwork. Abraham is really just an overblown middleweight and has a poor work-rate at 168. I could see Martinez out-boxing and outworking Froch (IBF) to UD in a Championship 20x20 ring, but it would be a tough fight. Andre Ward (WBA,WBC) is too skilled at the weight for Martinez to beat him though.

Regardless, Martinez is THE MAN at 160, so that's where he should stay.

Comment

Yeah good shout - AA would be an easy pick up for Serg

Comment

AA wouldent even be a challenge for Sergio. Look what froch did to him.

Comment

The difference is that these giant cruiser weight MW's like Pavlik and Chavez jr dehydrate themselves to a great degree to make 160 and it takes a toll on your body as the fight progresses. Especially when the other guy goes to the body, it just wears you down quicker.

At 168 these SMW dudes will not be drained and will be solid and Sergio's punches won't have the same effect. He is already at a great height disadvantage as it is...it would be a tall order. I think Sergio could beat AA but to me, AA is still basically a MW still. He is strong but he is kind of slow and he is short with short arms so I think Sergio could beat him on activity and movement.

I think he would be well ahead on the cards against Froch until the 9-12th rounds and I could see Froch dropping him with something big. Maybe not but I think Froch would walk through Sergio's punches to do damage and Sergio would fade just enough for him to get caught late.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  The difference is that these giant cruiser weight MW's like Pavlik and Chavez jr dehydrate themselves to a great degree to make 160 and it takes a toll on your body as the fight progresses. Especially when the other guy goes to the body, it just wears you down quicker.

At 168 these SMW dudes will not be drained and will be solid and Sergio's punches won't have the same effect. He is already at a great height disadvantage as it is...it would be a tall order. I think Sergio could beat AA but to me, AA is still basically a MW still. He is strong but he is kind of slow and he is short with short arms so I think Sergio could beat him on activity and movement.

I think he would be well ahead on the cards against Froch until the 9-12th rounds and I could see Froch dropping him with something big. Maybe not but I think Froch would walk through Sergio's punches to do damage and Sergio would fade just enough for him to get caught late.
                  As long as he fights George Groves then that will be fine.

After all, he's undefeated!!

Comment

I think there is plenty for him to do at 160 and the weight seems good for him so why go up unless the opportunity was right.

Comment

Working...
                    X