Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez.Very good fighter or GREAT fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElBossHogg View Post
    very good in a weak division.
    I wouldn't call MW a "weak" division, more like "unproven" or "untested". MW clearly has some depth in terms of the varying styles and skill levels.

Comment

very good fighter who is highly over rated by some.

Comment

Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
        very good fighter who is highly over rated by some.

would you be so kind as to please elaborate on how a solid 154 pounder in martinez, destroying solid 160 pounders is over rated? seems like any champ is either over rated or under rated here on NSB, but I have yet to hear a reason from either side as to why. what in YOUR mind makes him overrated, please...

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
          would you be so kind as to please elaborate on how a solid 154 pounder in martinez, destroying solid 160 pounders is over rated? seems like any champ is either over rated or under rated here on NSB, but I have yet to hear a reason from either side as to why. what in YOUR mind makes him overrated, please...
          thats my opinion. dont get your knickers in a twist.

but a few reasons, people were saying he is p4p number 3! not imo he isnt!

what solid 160 lbers? barker and macklin are not world level fighters. chavez is a fighter who relies on his size to beat his opponents because he isnt actually any good at boxing. his best win is quite possibly against a pisscan, who by the way had just come out of rehab had he not?!

martinez himself is a very good boxer, but he isnt great by any stretch.

Comment

He is a great, how many fighters have u seen can drop there hands n showboat almost the whole fight n also knock most of his opponents out

Comment

Although Martinez is my current favorite fighter, I won't necessarily call him "Great". He had a great performance against Chavez Jr., so I would say he's on the cusp of greatness. He still has the time and the motivation to make good use of it.

Comment

his body of work doesn't speak volumes of that much achievement. but i think he's a very good fighter/athlete and has what it takes to be great, but then he started out late, he's very best would've kicked ass at any era but then its just not enough for now to be considered great.

Comment

He has the same number of HOFers on his resume as I have on mine

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
                    Well if he had of beat Pavlik better than BH that would be a good start for Sergio to be called great.

I swing back and forth to Sergio being very good and great. He can be considered one of the greats today, but just not the greatest today. He has to do more and can do more.

Comment

very good.

he's had a terrific career, considering his late start and that he labored for so long in obscurity.

if he were born in the states and started boxing in his youth he could have been one of the greats.

Comment

Working...
                      X