No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Shane Cameron-Monte Barrett: Deal is Reached For 5/30

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Shane Cameron-Monte Barrett: Deal is Reached For 5/30

Kiwi boxer Shane Cameron will return to heavyweight boxing on May 30 against the man who felled David Tua – Monte Barrett. [Click Here To Read More]

barrett should have no trouble with cameron but sometimes barrett fights down to his opponents level. he has lost to cliff couser & had a draw with charles davis. i was hoping for tua\barrett 3. barrett wanted a title shot but that won't happen. he does have 2 WBO regional belts which should have him in the top 10. he has to defend the 2 belts vs an asian pacific contender. going to australia will secure a nice pursse for barrett. if barrett is smart & can't get a title shot he could probably get a few more fights in australia with tua, meehan, welliver or leapai. all winnable fights which could set him up to retire at 42. i could see barrett getting between $250000-500000 for this fight.
    Last edited by joe strong; 02-11-2012, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
      barrett should have no trouble with cameron but sometimes barrett fights down to his opponents level. he has lost to cliff couser & had a draw with charles davis. i was hoping for tua\barrett 3. barrett wanted a title shot but that won't happen. he does have 2 WBO regional belts which should have him in the top 10. he has to defend the 2 belts vs an asian pacific contender. going to australia will secure a nice pursse for barrett. if barrett is smart & can't get a title shot he could probably get a few more fights in australia with tua, meehan, welliver or leapai. all winnable fights which could set him up to retire at 42. i could see barrett getting between $250000-500000 for this fight.
      True! Barrett will get good money fighting in australia which is good cause he hasnt got too many fights left in him! I hope he beats cameron and then maybe tua will come out! I hope to see a 3rd fight with tua!

Comment

No way he gets even 250k for fighting Cameron...the fight will be in New Zealand I would assume as they would get a bigger gate.
        Cameron only got 500k for fighting Tua...and that was billed as the NZ fight of the century.

Comment

It won't be a big gate. Cameron isn't a household name in NZ and Barrett is only known to the general public because of the Tua fights. It will appeal to hardcore fans only and in NZ that means you'll struggle to fill a bingo hall.

Barrett will blow him away in a couple of rounds if he turns up in shape and motivated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Da Maori View Post
            It won't be a big gate. Cameron isn't a household name in NZ and Barrett is only known to the general public because of the Tua fights. It will appeal to hardcore fans only and in NZ that means you'll struggle to fill a bingo hall.

Barrett will blow him away in a couple of rounds if he turns up in shape and motivated.
            Cameron is a household name and it would be marketed well and they would obviously have a good undercard with Steve Heremia and the like and im sure they would fill more than a bingo hall lol!!...however I agree Barrett will win as much as I like Shane and hes a top bloke if Barrett turns up fit and ready and Shane doesint land clean blows he will lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kesslerfan#1 View Post
              No way he gets even 250k for fighting Cameron...the fight will be in New Zealand I would assume as they would get a bigger gate.
              Cameron only got 500k for fighting Tua...and that was billed as the NZ fight of the century.
              it's for 2 WBO regional titles & a top 10 WBO ranking. barrett has to defend vs an asian pacific contender since that's the jurisdiction of his regional titles. barrett is getting a decent check i'm sure.

Comment

http://www.********boxing.com/news.php?p=30739&more=1By James Slater: 40-year-old veteran Monte “Two Gunz” Barrett isn’t planning on retiring any time soon. Coming off his rematch win over win over Samoan powerhouse David Tua, who scored a 12th-round knockdown and busted Barrett’s jaw in the process last August, will next face a man Tua crushed via impressive KO three years ago, in Kiwi Shane Cameron.

It has been announced that the fight, set to top a card called “Heavyweight Explosion” will go down in New Zealand on May 30th. Barrett-Cameron will naturally top the bill, but in an interview with stuff.co.nz, promoter Dave Wiggins said he hopes to have fighters Chauncy Welliver (who was hoping for a shot at Tua), John Hopoate and Mark De Mori in action also, against TBAs. The card is set to be a Pay-per-View event in New Zealand.

Barrett, speaking from his home, said he knows very little about “Mountain Warrior” Cameron.

“Shane Cameron’s like a ghost to me,” Two Gunz said. “I don’t really know too much about him. Ghosts can be good and bad but of course I’m going to get some tape of him to study in training.”

34-year-old Cameron, 28-2(21) dropped down to cruiserweight shortly after being blown away by Tua in Oct. 2009, winning four bouts at the new weight. Now, with Barrett set to rumble with him, Cameron will be bulking back up. May 30th’s fight could well prove lively and exciting.

New Yorker Barrett has revived his career, at least to some extent, with his two game showings against Tua - and now it looks as though he has a good chance of earning himself some more retirement money over in New Zealand. And, as great a guy as he is, and as brave and as courageous as Barrett is, he deserves to bring about an end to his pro career as he sees fit.

And though a fight between “Two Gunz” and Cameron wouldn’t mean all that much as far as the world’s top-ten goes, it could well prove to be a great little action fight as I‘ve said. Barrett may be 40, but he lives in the gym and has something left to offer still. While Cameron may have been blasted out by Tua, but he has to be given a chance against the less-lethal Barrett.

It will also be interesting to see who “Hillyard Hammer” Welliver faces on the card. Perhaps a fight with the winner could happen down the road?

Comment

Should be an interesting fight! Cameron has a good punch and barrett has to be careful!

Comment

Working...
                  X