Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words – More Rodriguez-Wolaks, At What Price?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words – More Rodriguez-Wolaks, At What Price?

by David P. Greisman - They stood side by side, paired by pain and pride not long after being adversaries in action. They were positioned nearly as close to each other as they had been over 10 rounds, a distance that had tested their tolerance and their training. The fighters promised excitement. The fight exceeded expectations. There was already talk, naturally, of a rematch.

It was only right that Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward should have a sequel. It is only right that Delvin Rodriguez and Pawel Wolak do the same.

Fights like Rodriguez-Wolak and the Gatti-Ward trilogy showcase so much of what is so great about the sweet science, with the momentum swinging as fast and as hard as the fighters – two men giving no thought to excuses or injuries or future paydays and concentrating only on hurt, the distribution and defiance thereof.

Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward fought that way long before they fought each other. They were rewarded with a headline bout against each other on HBO’s “Boxing After Dark” and the sizable payday that came with the spotlight. They understood the physical cost they’d have to endure first.

Gatti and Ward deserved every dollar and still gave HBO more than its money’s worth. Delvin Rodriguez and Pawel Wolak got paid much less and still delivered ESPN2 an exceptional bargain for last week’s “Friday Night Fights” main event.

Fights like Rodriguez-Wolak also underscore the questionable decisions made by those in the boxing business.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Put the rematch on the undercard to cotto fight

Comment

Thought I was the only one that noticed that ice cream scoop being used to Wolak. FNF will be better w/o Teddy Atlas imo.

Comment

thanks for your sharing,

Comment

Well-written article, as always. Thank you.

And LOL about the ice cream scoop. I thought it was hilarious when I saw it. Don't some scoops have a chemical in them (like in ice packs) that keep them colder for longer?

Comment

This is the most exciting and entertaining fight I've watched this year. I kid you not. This deserves a rematch. Maybe even a rubber match.

Comment

Originally posted by modro11 View Post
              This is the most exciting and entertaining fight I've watched this year. I kid you not. This deserves a rematch. Maybe even a rubber match.
              yeah that fight was a real hit, both guys were winners. You got to pay them descently for a rematch and I don't think it should be shown as an undercard fight. Why, they've generated enough interest to headline their own slot albeit not PPV, but its not like their getting a slice of the Marg/Cotto 2 pie either.

Comment

HBO pays too much? What does that mean? I can't imagine anyone complaining about their fighter getting paid too much?

Comment

The scoop was awesome.

My first thought was like Tyson - Douglas, that somebody had forgotten the endswell. Then I realized that the hematoma was just too big for the endswell alone.

Comment

I've heard a lot of people say that Wolaks hemotoma was nothing compared to Hasim Rahman's was. But Hasim's was in a "safer" place on the face and not over the actual eye like Wolaks was. Isn't it more dangerous to have it on top of the eye like that? I kept thinking if Rodriguez was to keep hitting it flush like he was that eventually he could pop that damn thing and Wolaks could lose his eye. I dunno, it seemed pretty dangerous to me and a tough area to be pushing down on with an icecream scoop lol. Kudos for Wolaks being a warrior and all, but at what point should the doctors be thinking of the fighters future and health consequences should he continue the fight, and not the immediate "can he finish the fight" decision? Surely there could be some serious repercussions to his eye being hit continuously after swelling up that horribly?

Comment

Working...
                    X