No announcement yet.

HBO Boxing 2012 Telecasts show very strong Ratings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO Boxing 2012 Telecasts show very strong Ratings

Strong rating for Adrien Broner continues positive trend for HBO’s 2012 boxing telecasts
    By Kevin Iole | Boxing – 1 hour 1 minute ago
    Email

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has fought in two of the three top-rated bouts on HBO in 2012. (AP)
    The controversial Adrien Broner-Vicente Escobedo fight on Saturday continued a strong run for boxing on HBO. All nine main events on HBO broadcasts in 2012 have exceeded 1 million live viewers, a very positive trend for the sport.

Adrien Broner attracted 1.4 million live viewers on HBO on Saturday. (AP)
    Broner's fifth-round stoppage of Escobedo, which was notable because of Broner's disdain for making the 130-pound super featherweight limit, did a 3.4 rating and drew 1.4 million live viewers. That made it the No. 1 Boxing After Dark show on HBO this year.
    It also was watched by the fourth-most viewers in 2012. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., who was once ridiculed as an overhyped sensation, holds down the top spot and is tied for second. Chavez's Feb. 4 bout with Marco Antonio Rubio drew 1.9 million live viewers, according to an HBO spokesman. The Bernard Hopkins-Chad Dawson bout on April 28, which was a rematch of a horrendous pay-per-view flop from 2011, and the June 16 Chavez-Andy Lee match, each attracted 1.6 million live viewers.
    The numbers prove one thing: HBO Sports is still, far and away, the dominant force when it comes to boxing on television. The largest live audience for a Showtime fight in 2012 was the June 23 bout in Los Angeles between Victor Ortiz and Josesito Lopez, which drew 740,000 live viewers. That means that every HBO main event in 2012 drew a minimum of 25 percent more viewers than the best Showtime fight.
    At a time when boxing repeatedly takes broadsides for being on a downward trend, it's nice to see positive news over the long haul. It's proof if the right fights are made, and promoters make a good faith effort to spread the word, the fans will tune in.
    Pagination
    Previous Rapper 50 Cent seems in, Golden Boy Promotions out as Floyd Mayweather’s promoter

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing...7911--box.html

This is good news

Comment

hopefully this will put a rest to all the claims of boxing dying every single year

Comment

HBO PPV Buys have also been strong with Mayweathe/Cotto bringing in 1.5 million buys and Pacquiao/Bradley doing 950,000 and Chavez/Martinez expected to do 500k.

Also imo I think Alvarez vs. Cotto is going to happen in December but Showtime is going to get that PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by krimzon View Post
          hopefully this will put a rest to all the claims of boxing dying every single year
          there is news clippings saying that in 1887 lol

Comment

Good sign for the sport. There is a lot of positive things happening in Boxing with the amount of coverage it is getting NBC/NBC Sports network adding more Boxing dates, CBS and Golden Boy tv deal, 50 Cent believe it or not will be very positive for Boxing bc one of the most popular entertainers in the world and someone with 7 million twitter followers will be promoting the sport and will get a ton of new eye balls on Broner vs Gamboa when it happens.

Comment

Some of these ratings aren't what I expected. Iole said Chavez-Lee beat all his previous ratings yet this says it got 1.6? What happened to the 2 millon plus number?

Comment

Originally posted by LasVegas Boxing View Post
                Good sign for the sport. There is a lot of positive things happening in Boxing with the amount of coverage it is getting NBC/NBC Sports network adding more Boxing dates, CBS and Golden Boy tv deal, 50 Cent believe it or not will be very positive for Boxing bc one of the most popular entertainers in the world and someone with 7 million twitter followers will be promoting the sport and will get a ton of new eye balls on Broner vs Gamboa when it happens.
                and Snookie.

If they can pull of this boxing world cup thing they've been talking about it'll be a huge boon.

Comment

I honestly don't buy it. I think it's propganda. The average person I know can't name a boxer outside of Pacquiao, Mayweather, and some the Klitschko's. Most people I know who aren't die-hard boxing fans don't even know who the hell Martinez is and he's one of the if not the best around imo. I hope the report's true though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pad83 View Post
                    I honestly don't buy it. I think it's propganda. The average person I know can't name a boxer outside of Pacquiao, Mayweather, and some the Klitschko's. Most people I know who aren't die-hard boxing fans don't even know who the hell Martinez is and he's one of the if not the best around imo. I hope the report's true though.
                    These are all HBO ratings. It only shows their ratings are good by their own standards. Since they're a small network these numbers are normal. If these same boxers were fighting on something like CBS they'd be household names since their numbers might be ten fold what they get on HBO. For example Mike Tyson fought on network TV with ratings in the 40 million range. These days those same fights would be PPV. If Canelo fought on CBS he could nab in the 10 million plus range.

Comment

Working...
                    X