Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Dawson: I’d Definitely Be The First To Knock Hopkins Out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Dawson: I’d Definitely Be The First To Knock Hopkins Out

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - He may be the best light heavyweight in the world.

Or he might not be.

But if a self-assured manner heading into a big fight was all that mattered, Chad Dawson’s status among the 175-pounders this weekend would already be undisputed.

“I’m in great spirits. I had a great camp. Everything is 100 percent compared to what it was for my last fight,” the suddenly ebullient 28-year-old said Tuesday, five days in front of a return to Montreal and a chance to exorcise the demons of that very Aug. 14 night.

“Everything’s gone according to plan this time.”

Last time… errrr, not so much.

Back then at the Bell Centre, the unbeaten southpaw saw adopted hometown hero Jean Pascal steal away with his gaudy jewelry, adding Dawson’s IBO belt to his own WBC title via 11-round technical decision in what was universally panned as the Connecticut resident’s worst pro night.

The intervening nine months have brought significant upheaval to the ex-champ’s support team, most notably in the form of top-shelf trainer Emanuel Steward – who’ll accompany Dawson for the first time when he faces fellow former champion Adrian Diaconu Saturday night.

The fight is the last semifinal to the main event rematch between Pascal and Bernard Hopkins, who fought to a controversial 12-round draw in Pascal’s initial unified title defense after the Dawson fight.

And if all goes well with Diaconu, Chad’s got next.

“It’s a very important night for me,” Dawson said. “The fact that I’m back in Montreal and Pascal and Hopkins are fighting on the same card. I want to win. I want to win impressively. And I want to strike some fear into the hearts of those two guys. [Click Here To Read More]

Comment

Dawson would run like a punk too
      just like he did vs Pascal
      just like Pascal did vs Hopkins
      hope Diaconu beats Dawson, never wanna see his sorry ass again

Comment

Bernard tailor made for him? That I'd like to see...

Comment

c'mon son...

dawson couldn't even finish off jean "4 round fighter" pascal.

Comment

i actually dont see dawson stopping anyone worthwhile. he never has before and he ain't getting any younger

Comment

lol dawson means hopkins is tailor made for him because he is over 40. we saw what happened when he fought somebody his own age. Pascal took him for a ride on dai'ello buss

Comment

Yeah right. It's funny that Hopkins has three common opponents with this guy and beat them all more impressively. Hopkins hasn't fought him because HBO didn't put up good money for the fight. When the fight happens I'll definitely have points on B-Hop.

Comment

Though I expect a Dawson win, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Diaconu wins the fight. And if he does, it will likely be by KO.

Comment

Dawson has all the tools to ko anyone @ lhw. He just didn't have the mentallity. Now that Steward is in his corner, that will change. Steward trains his fighters to go for the KO. He teaches them how to set it up.If he sees his fighter cruising, they normally get an earful. I still laugh at the time he cursed out Lennox Lewis in the corner against Mike Tyson and yelling at Jermaine Taylor in a lackluster performance.I think he's going to bring that same killer instinct into the corner of Dawson. That's going to bring out a beast in him.

Comment

Working...
                    X