No announcement yet.

Louis CK's new comedy special available for $5 on his site, no catch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
    he's not as rich as you think. LouisCK has said himself that he isn't yet secure(moneywise) in his life. Sure he makes money off of his shows, but he also pays for all the production for those shows too. He isn't making enough money off those shows to be rich.
    He doesnt make a whole lot of money on his FX show. The only way he was able to get the show the way he wanted was by FX giving him an incredibly low amount of money.

Since he is the director, editor, writer, and lead actor in the show FX gives him X amount of money a year that goes directly to him. He uses all of that money into production and then what is left over is for him. Now, X isn't a lot of money because the only way FX allowed the show on their network the way he wanted it (where FX has very very little influence on the show) was if the amount of money they put into it was so little that whether it tanked or not wasn't a big worry. It has more or less been an experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
      He doesnt make a whole lot of money on his FX show. The only way he was able to get the show the way he wanted was by FX giving him an incredibly low amount of money.

Since he is the director, editor, writer, and lead actor in the show FX gives him X amount of money a year that goes directly to him. He uses all of that money into production and then what is left over is for him. Now, X isn't a lot of money because the only way FX allowed the show on their network the way he wanted it (where FX has very very little influence on the show) was if the amount of money they put into it was so little that whether it tanked or not wasn't a big worry. It has more or less been an experiment.
      exactly.

Louis is the kind of guy that cares more about the integrity of what he is doing rather than the profit. And FX is taking advantage of him as a result.

Really hope he makes a **** load of money one day. He deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
        exactly.

Louis is the kind of guy that cares more about the integrity of what he is doing rather than the profit. And FX is taking advantage of him as a result.

Really hope he makes a **** load of money one day. He deserves it.
        Yeah its really cool because having complete creative control over a show is something he has always had a passion for, and although it sounds corny as **** because I have never known him but I'am happy that this is working out for him.

He could easily scrap the show and use the 2 specials worth of comedy he has every year and make more money with less work.

Comment

Just bought this. Louis CK is a genius.

Comment

I really wish HBO hadn't cancelled his original show Lucky Louie, have the whole season on dvd and its hilarious.

Comment

Wake up, media moguls: Louis C.K. no-DRM video makes $200K

By Stephen Shankland | CNET.com – Wed, Dec 14, 2011

Louis Szekely, the comedian better known as Louis C.K., has declared that his experiment selling an online video with no copy-protection restrictions is a success.

In the four days after putting "Louis C.K. Live at the Beacon Theater" for sale at $5, the stand-up comedian has made a profit of about $200,000 so far, he said in a statement yesterday. As a result, he said, he hopes all his future work will be distributed the same way.

Today's online entertainment world is a largely bipolar. On the one hand is legally sanctioned content that's locked through encryption. On the other is material that's been decrypted from DVDs or otherwise shared in violation of copyright law.

Szekely has--at least in this one case--found a middle way.

His production company keeps most of the revenue rather than sharing it with services from Apple, Google, Netflix, or other corporate powers. Pirates have as easy a time as they would with a music CD, because there's no encryption to crack. But paying $5--the cost of renting a recent release on iTunes or a pretty ordinary game for your smartphone--is low enough that plenty of people can afford it.

Szekely's costs for the operation have included $170,000 to produce the video, $32,000 to build the Web site, PayPal charges, and a weeks of his own time to edit the video. But over the first four days of sales, the 110,000 copies sold have brought in revenue of more than $500,000.

Here's how Szekely describes the bottom line:

I have a profit around $200,000 (after taxes $75.58). This is less than I would have been paid by a large company to simply perform the show and let them sell it to you, but they would have charged you about $20 for the video. They would have given you an encrypted and regionally restricted video of limited value, and they would have owned your private information for their own use. They would have withheld international availability indefinitely. This way, you only paid $5, you can use the video any way you want, and you can watch it in Dublin, whatever the city is in Belgium, or Dubai. I got paid nice, and I still own the video (as do you).

Szekely gets more than just the money out of the deal, too. He gets plenty of publicity, too, and exposure to a lot of potential new fans. There are clear business benefits from a viral video such as Louis C.K.'s rant on Conan O'Brien's talk show ("Now we're living in an amazing, amazing world, and it's wasted on the crappiest generation of spoiled idiots!")

The new video's success bodes well for Louis C.K. fans who want more of the same:

I'm really glad I put this out here this way and I'll certainly do it again. If the trend continues with sales on this video, my goal is that i can reach the point where when I sell anything, be it videos, CDs or tickets to my tours, I'll do it here and I'll continue to follow the model of keeping my price as far down as possible, not overmarketing to you, keeping as few people between you and me as possible in the transaction.

It also could mean a new movie, since Szekely said earlier this week that sufficient financial success would fuel that particular project.

So, you might think this is all wonderful, right? A maverick comedian has shattered the business world's assumptions about how digital rights management (DRM) restrictions are a necessary part of doing business, right? He's proved that fans now can send a smaller amount of money direct to the performer without an overbearing corporation standing in the way and bleeding off the profits?

Alas, it's not as simple as that.

First Szekely has the benefits of being famous already. Not only is he well known in stand-up, he's the star of "Louie," a TV show about a fictionalized version of himself.

A budding artist isn't likely to have a fan base willing to buy 110,000 videos in four days. Music label and movie studios play a legitimate role in finding new talent and bringing it to market.

Second, Szekely has the ability to produce his own content. He edits his own video on a MacBook, something that gets easier with each passing year but that's still very hard to do well. And a stand-up comedy video is much easier to produce than, say, a full-blown movie with actors, props, gaffers, and baby wranglers. Here, too, studios aren't just some kind of parasite.

Last, he's got novelty on his side. Don't be surprised if other performers, impressed with Szekely's success going directly to fans over the Internet and with the degree of control he had over his video's content, try the same recipe.

Given today's pitched battle of DRM vs. piracy, Szekely's move was notable. But the more people try it, the less interesting it becomes. It won't be enough to attract the attention of Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air, who opened her Louis C.K. interview yesterday with a discussion of the video's unusual distribution.

The video may even be something of a singular success.

But I'm not totally pessimistic here. Szekely's move might still lead to a better world, where Amazon doesn't tell me I've already downloaded a book to the maximum number of devices (which happened to me two days ago) and FX doesn't tell me I can't watch any video from "Louie" because I live in the wrong country (which happened to me today).

The big companies that produce content do real work, and those who distribute it have real costs. But Szekely has shown that at least some artists need not be beholden to those businesses.

In other words, the Internet isn't done disrupting the entertainment business.

http://news.yahoo.com/wake-up--media...kes--200k.html

Comment

Working...
              X