Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you disappointed in Emanuel Steward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you disappointed in Emanuel Steward?

This was now the 3rd fight of Wladimir against a superdefensive fighter (Ibragimov, Chambers, Haye) and Manny Steward doesn't have any clue how to instruct Wladimir.

Manny talked ridiculous nonsense like "Haye is tiring" (after round 2) and had no advice except "let your hands go" but I would have thought that already after the Ibragimov fight THEY SHOULD HAVE TRAINED MOVES/TACTICS against ultradefensive fighters.

I was very disappointed in Manny. Both in terms of preparation and during the fight.
    No, Manny was not disappointing
    62.96%
    Yes, Manny was disappointing
    14.81%
    Yes, Manny was disappointing and Wlad should look for a new trainer
    11.11%
    Can't say
    11.11%
    Last edited by hweightblogger; 07-03-2011, 02:16 PM.

That fight went "exactly how he predicted it would go". Emmanuel Steward is like a modern day Nostradamus. Show some respect bro.

Comment

I'm just surprised that Steward wasn't pissed off at the end. He was pretty calm. He's usually crazy mad at the end of these fights when he knows Wlad could knock out his opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by welcometosaigon View Post
        That fight went "exactly how he predicted it would go". Emmanuel Steward is like a modern day Nostradamus. Show some respect bro.
        No, Manny predicted "Wladimir will stop David in 4 rounds."

If he said "exactly how it would" he's a liar.

Comment

I still wish Manny said to Wladimir to take him out in the later rounds, Haye was defiantly tiring. Wladimir shouldn't have to be told to let his hands go anyway.

Comment

Manny did an excellent job.

Manny picked out Haye's ambush game-plan immediately and was telling Wlad he was "giving the championship" away in order to light a fire under him. Telling him to stay busier than he usually does is why Haye wasn't able to set anything up.

Wlad is 35. He knows how to find his openings just fine. Steward saw the opening for the hook and told him to focus on that instead of the right, and Wlad had some success with it. Steward is perfect for Wladimir.

He won just about all but one round. Why complain?

Comment

Can't say.. I think that Steward realizes that at 35 years old, Wlad is not going to change his style. No reason to scream at Wlad to be more aggressive if he's not going to do it anyway.

Comment

I think Wlad should look for a new trainer, he is always telling Wlad he is loosing the fight, when Wlad was winning the fight comfortably. He also told Wlad after the 8th or 9th "to take more chances" because "he is not that dangerous", I am glad Wlad stuck to his gameplan, Gayevid was looking for that one-shot counter, and Wlad's job was to not give it to him, good for Wlad. Maybe if he went wild, Gayevid would have gotten lucky.

I also think there is some truth to what Gayevid said about his conversation with Steward, about him training him for Vitaly, he might have been joking, but there is always a little bit of truth behind every joke.

Steward is the best trainer in the history of boxing, BUT he also had the best boxers in the world (Lewis, Wlad, etc). Wlad was a world champ without Steward and it would be nice if he finished his career with his brother as his trainer. Vitaly is there giving him advice between every round anyway. Also, Wlad said that he trains to his schedule, not his trainer's.

Of course Wlad has gotten comfortable with Steward so I think he will stick with him but I noticed there has been a slight rift between the two since the Chambers fight, even just watching it on tv. What the hell do I know though, Wlad is a very smart man, I am sure if he felt Steward was disloyal in anyway, he would put a stop to it right away.

Comment

Originally posted by hweightblogger View Post
                  No, Manny predicted "Wladimir will stop David in 4 rounds."

If he said "exactly how it would" he's a liar.
                  haha it was just a joke. he always says that during every fight on hbo, usually about 1 minute into the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hweightblogger View Post
                    This was now the 3rd fight of Wladimir against a superdefensive fighter (Ibragimov, Chambers, Haye) and Manny Steward doesn't have any clue how to instruct Wladimir.
                    Manny had no advice except "let your hands go"
                    Personally dude, I kinda agreed with Manny, Wlad had Haye backed up and vulnerable so often I really believe he would of KO'd Haye if he had of just let the punches go. Wlad seemed reluctant as usual to throw his right hand which frustrates me a little, because its a deadly weapon.

People often moan about Wlads jab straight combo like its all he has, but when its as effective as it is, why fix anything? The first time any Wlad opponent feels the double thud of that smashed into their face they end up hiding for the rest of the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X