Defensive strategy for a small HW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive strategy for a small HW?

Sup,

I recently started boxing a bit in a gym, been messing with friends for ages, but this is different.

Anyway, I', 6ft/220, stocky, but kinda short for a HW. I have an average reach, am not too fast but take an ok shot. I have no dillusions of being pro, just do this for love of the game.

Anyway, I am working on stamina as I suck atm, but have an ok offense. Hand speed is ok.

Besides bobbing and weaving ala Tyson or Smoke, what can I do, esp against outside fighters, who have 3-4 inches of height on me?

sidestepping and countering, slip the jab, step to the side, rip to the body then to the head and step out.

while the taller, outside fighter adapts, u attack again, from an angle, so he can't clearly jab and hook u. if u keep moving sideways like that with counters, you'll do fine.

Comment

Try getting under 201.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
        Try getting under 201.

If only I could my friend...

Comment

Heres one that always helps.... hit and don't be hit. Great defensive strategy..............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post

If only I could my friend...
            You better try damn hard too....Honestly, there are some big dudes at 201+.

If you can't, work hard on developing a well-rounded defence. A tight guard, plus headmovement, parrying etc

Keep your back heel off the ground in order to explode back with counters quickly, stay moving...You will need to be a clever fighter, need to spar lots and fight lots to get it down.

Comment

I know I'd be sizable at CW and a big LHW, esp as I am quite broad in build. I was aiming for a gft/210 sorta profile, you know, peak Tyson minus the power, speed, stamina, money or women.

How do I lose say 30 lbs quickly?

Comment

being the taller fighter is not that much of a advantage because boxing
                is about who is first not who is tallest. its all timing & conditioning.the guy in
                better shape wins in 3rd amatur fights. work on your punch count presure
                and have fun beating up the big boys.

Comment

Learn how to master catching ur opponents jab with ur open right glove while immediately responding with ur own jab while pushing off ur back foot...if u maintain or start wit a stance slightly outside ur taller opponents range, he will feel lilies he can keep u at bay n control range but when he jabs at u he will be giving up his height to touch u, this is when u catch his jab n come back with urs...giving him the illusion of using his height n reach when really he ll be giving it up....now when u want ti initiate action , stay outside his range Do lots of circles, side steps n angles ,when ever u catch him not turnung quick enough, that's ur lane in..come in hard n quick with no second guessing. behind an aggressive hard double jab, ...if ur an inside fighter stay in until u can n back him up....if not comfy in the inside, throw 3 or 4 quick hard shots, roll under n pivot out the side...then turn him into another shot or get all the way out of range ...n repeat

Comment

Been in/out of the gym owing to commitments, my weight has gone up a bit but I'm trying to shed a stone.

I have taken to keeping my glove high and my chin in towards my shoulder as a 2nd line of defence.

Comment

Working...
                    X