No announcement yet.

Heavy bag conditioning.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy bag conditioning.

I'm training towards my first fight, which is likely to be 3x2 minute rounds.

What is the best way to prepare for a short fight in order to be explosive and be able to maintain a high level of intensity over three rounds?

In order to work on fitness and conditioning I've been incorporating 8x3 minute rounds on the heavy bag with 30 seconds rest between each round. My theory is this forces me to recover quickly and is also conditioning me to be active in three minute stints so that when I hop in the ring to fight two minute rounds I should have more gas in the tank.

Is my theory right, and is this a good way to prepare for a short fight?

Would appreciate any other advice about training to be effective over 3 2 minute rounds.

Thanks in advance.

Anything that can totally sap the strength from your muscles, yet force you to break down mental barriers whilst doing so.

My preference is high intensity rowing machine exercise as I've mentioned in other threads, it improves the explosiveness of your legs and also gives longevity.

Heavy bag work is good, so long as you're physically exhausting yourself whilst doing (which I find I can't really do in a short space of time). I find it better to have a heavy workout and then hit the bag, once you're used to feeling that resistance in your arms, legs and lower back and fighting anyway then throwing/moving in the ring will seem faster and more natural.

Also: It's hard/impossible to mentally guage the effort/training required for a real fight until you've been in one and seen where your shortcomings were. Once you've had your ring boots wet you'll find your stride training wise.

Comment

Search in youtube: kostya tszyu heavy bag
      (sorry, cannot post links yet)

Comment

Working...
      X