No announcement yet.

Bob Fitzimmons: Top 5 p4p?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Fitzimmons: Top 5 p4p?

Just making my usual boxrec forays and I really investigated Ruby Robert's record for the first time. My God. The guy has, imo, a serious case for the GOAT. The fight that jumped out at me was Tom Sharkey. It took Gus Ruhlin (remember, a legit heavyweight who Fitz also destroyed) 15 rounds to hand the durable Sharkey his first KO loss. It was the first time he'd been clearly defeated.

In his next fight, Fitzsimmons smashed him DOS ROUND Mayorga style (sorry I can't help myself ). The guy fought 8 times in 1900 (the year he fought Fitz) and then took more than a year off to recoup and was never really the same.

Keep in mind, Fitzsimmons weighed 155-170 for all of his fights, including his heavyweight ones. Sharkey was consistently 185-195.

He made the great Nonpareil Dempsey quit on his stool in just 13 rounds in an era where it was normal Nonpareil went 45 rounds to KO John Reagan - with "skintight gloves."

Lost by KO in 1890 (can't find details on the fight) and from then until he was DQ'd against Sharkey in 1896 (and we know he avenged that one), he was 36-0-1 (35 KO's) with 11 in the first round and many more very early on in fights.

First three division lineal champ, never weighing over 175.

I wish there was some watchable footage of the guy. His power seems incredible.

Not top 5.

Can't see how he could be ranked above the consensus Top 5 - Robinson, Greb, Langford, Charles, Armstrong.

But Top 10, for sure.

Comment

That's fair. Once your in top 10-12 realm, the order can be very murky. I like to do it in tiers anyway.

Comment

Top ten without a doubt. It's a mark of a truly great fighter to take on and beat men of larger size. Fitzsimmons did this all the time. He was a clever puncher, sharp, accurate, and extremely powerful. At 160 lbs he was capable of knocking out a 300+ lb journeyman named Ed Dunkhorst who was literally twice his weight. Obviously when the difference in skill is that great, the weight is not going to give you the upper hand.

It must have been pretty fun seeing Fitz in there with much larger men, completely pulverizing the **** out of them.

Comment

Some of his moves were past on from generation to generation for example in freddie brown a trainer who was around until 1980 would teach a few moves to fighters in that era. As far as his triple crown status it was not uncommon for middleweights to challange hws in that era. Ezzard Charles fought as a middleweight, lightheavey and heavey weight he only gained the hw title but even in the forties and 50's there was a color line and he did not get the opportunity to fight for the lower classifications.

It is kinda neat that ruby rob earned the middleweight than heavey weigt and lastly the light heavey weight, (he had troube with jim jefferies)

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
            Some of his moves were past on from generation to generation for example in freddie brown a trainer who was around until 1980 would teach a few moves to fighters in that era. As far as his triple crown status it was not uncommon for middleweights to challange hws in that era. Ezzard Charles fought as a middleweight, lightheavey and heavey weight he only gained the hw title but even in the forties and 50's there was a color line and he did not get the opportunity to fight for the lower classifications.

It is kinda neat that ruby rob earned the middleweight than heavey weigt and lastly the light heavey weight, (he had troube with jim jefferies)
            He was putting a good pasting on JJJ in their second fight before he got caught by a big shot by the bigger guy. By all accounts, it was a very impressive performance. Unless you think he had loaded gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
              He was putting a good pasting on JJJ in their second fight before he got caught by a big shot by the bigger guy. By all accounts, it was a very impressive performance. Unless you think he had loaded gloves.
              He stopped jim corbett with a body shot his gloves were not loaded he just great puncher.

Comment

He stopped jim corbett with a body shot his gloves were not loaded he just great puncher.
                I've heard allegations in multiple places that he had loaded gloves vs. Jeffries. I don't know if it's true or not and there was never a smoking gun. So I tend to believe that's just a rumor until proven otherwise.

Regardless, it doesn't diminish his spectacular achievements before that fight (which really seems like his last hurrah looking at boxrec)

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                  I've heard allegations in multiple places that he had loaded gloves vs. Jeffries. I don't know if it's true or not and there was never a smoking gun. So I tend to believe that's just a rumor until proven otherwise.

Regardless, it doesn't diminish his spectacular achievements before that fight (which really seems like his last hurrah looking at boxrec)
                  There was also the rumor that dempsey had load glove"s vs willard and I do not believe that for one second because we all know what power jack carried.

Comment

There was also the rumor that dempsey had load glove"s vs willard and I do not believe that for one second because we all know what power jack carried.
                    Yeah, I don't think Dempsey loaded his gloves. He wouldn't have been above it, it's just that nothing about that fight makes me think that's the case. I think that if Jack really felt that his livelihood was on the line, he would cheat to win a fight. Willard reacted appropriately to every punch, though. At no point was I like "well he didn't hit him that hard, why is he falling around?" Dempsey was winding up and putting 100% of his considerable power in each swing.

Comment

Working...
                    X