No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Austin Trout-Canelo Alvarez: Pre-Fight Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Austin Trout-Canelo Alvarez: Pre-Fight Report Card

The development of championship level fighters is a sensitive process that can look so simple. Ultimately, it’s about keeping a guy winning until they are ready for the moment of truth. This Saturday at the Alamodome is a moment of truth for two talented Jr. Middleweights without a loss between them.

Both in their twenties, this is the sort of clash that promises to give us answers about a pair who still have plenty of questions. There is little better in the sport.

Because he is the star of the show, because he has been managed like a star, the bigger questions are about Saul Alvarez. It’s hard to ignore he’s walked a gilded path. He owns a belt that was all but given to him by the WBC, a then-vacant title he was allowed to compete for against a man who wasn’t really a Jr. Middleweight and whose biggest qualification was his last name (Hatton, Matthew).

[Click Here To Read More]

Great analysis!

Comment

its so hard to pick a winner , ders no doubt dat d winner will b celebratin big times , BUT can this ends up bein a DRAW ??? , it wudnt surprise me

Comment

Canelo by TKO who trying to bet?

Comment

Canelo's defense, intangible, and possibly speed grades are going to be higher in the post-fight report card.

He gets defensively careless, at times, when he doesn't respect his opponents' offense, but he's actually good defensively. Not sure how you got the impression that Alvarez' transitions and defense is poor because his counterpunching is one of his strong suits; he'll land counterpunches several times a fight and this fight won't be any diffferent. Also, his excellent timing and good handspeed is going to make it appear as if he's just as fast as Trout.

Tonight, people will actually notice what they've already seen, but overlooked because it's been against lesser competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Heru View Post
            Canelo's defense, intangible, and possibly speed grades are going to be higher in the post-fight report card.

He gets defensively careless, at times, when he doesn't respect his opponents' offense, but he's actually good defensively. Not sure how you got the impression that Alvarez' transitions and defense is poor because his counterpunching is one of his strong suits; he'll land counterpunches several times a fight and this fight won't be any diffferent. Also, his excellent timing and good handspeed is going to make it appear as if he's just as fast as Trout.

Tonight, people will actually notice what they've already seen, but overlooked because it's been against lesser competition.

Cotto can land counters too. It doesn't mean he doesn't make, often, very deliberate transitions. There are notable shifts from offense to defense. Alvarez does the same sometimes. It may well be about competition too but I haven't been overly impressed with his countering ability. I think a lot of it is predicated on slower guys or guys who are smaller are afraid to let loose after they start getting banged up.

We'll see tonight.

Comment

Whenever I see clips or pics of Canelo teeing off on opponents, his hook to the body starts out from somewhere in Panama. His entire side is fully exposed but the guy against the ropes is in a shell and unwilling to fire a short counter. At that point it's just a matter of time.

I don't think Trout is that type of Opponent. And Alvarez is going to find out if he truly belongs in the elite level. IMO he's been a spoon-fed paper champion with albeit solid skills and surprising speed. Trout will keep Canelo off-balance so the latter can never set his feet to unload hay makers. Trout has just enough pop to mess up Canelo's face. We'll see.

Comment

I think Canelo will win but its so hard to judge.

If you look at Trout's record the quality of his opponents has been very low as well. Canelo looks crisp and fast but its hard to gauge when hes fighting smaller men and shot guys. The thing Trout has is he is a legit junior middle and canelo may underestimate him.

There isnt a hell of a lot of talent at 154 today. Remember 10 years ago when we had all of the guys from 147 moving up and guys like vargas, winky, dlh, mosley quartey, tito, forrest mayorga ect.

The guys today suck balls

Comment

Yeah, everybody looks quick and powerful against a smaller opponent you don't fear. I think Trout has to get Canelo's respect early. That'll help keep Canelo's output down. Like Rigo did to Donaire in the first round. That left counter that sent Donaire stumbling to the ropes most def put a brake on Donaire's plan to overwhelm Rigo like he did against Arce.

Comment

I put my money on austin but not without some doubt.

Comment

Working...
                    X