No announcement yet.

Jake's training routine/plan/journal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake's training routine/plan/journal

For the next few weeks I will take a week or two off, with only light training really. I want to spend most of my time with Arju but then refocus on my training routine once again.

Tendonitis in my elbows is playing up a bit (most likely from heavy loads) so what I plan on doing is structuring my routine like this

Monday Back/hams/biceps
    Tues Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
    Wed Quads/Calves/Forearms/Abs
    Thurs
    Fri Heavy Day
    Sat
    Sun

Mon-Fri will be general 'light' training (no heavier than 60%) with ideally no less than 8 reps (ideally 10 - 20, pyramiding to lower reps). This is to strengthen the support groups and ligaments. Roughly 8-12 sets per body part, supersetting a lot of it.

Fri is the heavy day and my junkfood day (although in an effort to lose weight I will probably adjust my intake accordingly on this day).

Heavy day will consist of:

Deadlift
    Squat
    Bench
    Power Cleans
    Military Presses

About 4 sets each, aiming for about 3-6 reps. Once a month to 6 weeks, I plan on attempting my one rep max on bench/squad/dead.

This routine leaves a day of rest on 'light' sessions between that and my 'heavy' sessions, and two days after the heavy sessions to recover.

Only other training I will be doing during this period is light cardio (walking mostly) to burn excess fat in the mornings. No running, sprinting, MMA or anything like that (for now).

How does that sound?

Let me know your thoughts.

- The Jake

My training goals FYI -

- Maintain and improve strength,
    - whilst reducing body fat.

I'd like to do 101 other things like increase flexibility and aerobic and anaerobic endurance but I can only do a few things at a time atm, and right now, I can't afford to do other martial arts. I'd like to cut my excess fat down (I'd like to get back to 220, if not 210 if I can) and from there, start working on the rest.

- The Jake

Comment

sounds good to me. It'll be pretty easy to maintain your strength when you start to focus on a different goal. You'll be able to cut your gym hours back and keep the gains you made.
      please note though, that I've never really done any lifting myself. That opinion comes from talking with a few Personal Trainers that I work with.

Comment

On Tuesday, your chest/shoulder/tri day bro, you are doing way too many sets on your upper body that day. You said 8-12 sets PER body part, that is a lot bro. Here is a link to HST. I personally haven't done this program, but i will do it after i get off my super one + cycle. Just read it and it will explain everything you need. It is a good routine if you want to gain strength bro. Also gains some bulk, but i don't think you will complain, cause it will turn the fat into muscle, for the most part.

Also, if oyu want to lose weight, oyu have you change your diet too. Lower your carb intake, bread pasta rice and sugars. Increase protein intake. I will get ya more info a little later, i have to go now.

Comment

Dunno about going heavy/1rep max on squats AND deads in the same workout.

Also I've been getting tendonitis too in my elbows from hang cleans and snatch pulls and found that good old rest helped more than light work.

Other than that go get'em Tiger!:devil

Comment

TDiddy has a point about tuesday...but am checking it out and ****ed if I can see another option. You have the back/hamstrings tie in which is always good. Quads and calves together which is solid...short of throwing shoulders in with quads and calves, I would probably look to set up something else. The heavy day idea is good I think, different, but I kinda like that. Are your saturdays free for a while? cause this could be an option if you are keen...

Monday Chest/Triceps/forearms
            Tues Back/hams/biceps
            Wed Quads/Calves/Shoulders/Abs
            Thurs
            Fri
            Sat Heavy Day
            Sun

Or alternatively, you could do legs all on one day (apart from calves) which would free up energy to focus more on shoulders instead of lumping it with quads...

Comment

Only problem there is Seldom I hate doing legs all in one day... it just ****en kills me and I wanna puke and I wind up going sloppy because it destroys me.

Shoulders with Quads and Calves could be a go'er... when I start mapping the specifics of the light days I'll look into it.

Sat I might use as a heavy day... could be a lot easier on me too... good idea!

- The Jake

Comment

Trained with Seldom & Magic the other day.... lifts were about as follows:

Bench 300lbs for 1 rep
                Deadlift 400lbs for 2 reps
                Squats 400lbs for 3 reps
                Military Press 200lb for 3 reps
                Power Cleans 120lbs for 10 reps (never tested much heavier due to back probs atm)

This isn't exactly a 1RPM but it's an approximation of my strength to date. Not my peak (given my inconsistent training over the past six months) although my deadlifts and squats appear to be coming along slowly, but surely...

- The Jake

Comment

Seldom if I got any of these wrong, please correct me.

- The Jake

Comment

That is spot on Jake. Was impressive to see. You have inspired me to change my programme somewhat also. Pretyy much what you did the other day will become my programme twice a week during the season as I won't have the time or energy to lift 4 days a week.

I will lift heavy again!

Comment

Working...
                    X