Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much credit do you give Mayweather is he beat Martinez at 154?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much credit do you give Mayweather is he beat Martinez at 154?

the Grant facebook page said floyd will be back in 2013.I really think this fight is gonna be next. I think GBP wont put canelo in with floyd yet and are gonna make canelo-cotto first. This is a perfect fight for mayweather to prove himself again that he is the best and will take the risk. especially with all the negativity going on around him with ms jackson, 50 cent and all the garbage, this will bring him back to the top. and in the past, hasnt dibella and martinez say that mayweather was negotiating with them? i think it was before the cotto fight. but how much credit would you give floyd if its at 154? martinez hasnt fought at that weight since cintron was it?

More credit to fighting him, atlest he is open to fighting him at 154, while Pacquiao told him to come down to 147.

Comment

no shot he can beat martinez NO SHOT
      martinez stops him at this stage
      but if he does then he will regain #1 over ward and manny

Comment

Originally posted by FIGHTING_FLIP View Post
        the Grant facebook page said floyd will be back in 2013.I really think this fight is gonna be next. I think GBP wont put canelo in with floyd yet and are gonna make canelo-cotto first. This is a perfect fight for mayweather to prove himself again that he is the best and will take the risk. especially with all the negativity going on around him with ms jackson, 50 cent and all the garbage, this will bring him back to the top. and in the past, hasnt dibella and martinez say that mayweather was negotiating with them? i think it was before the cotto fight. but how much credit would you give floyd if its at 154? martinez hasnt fought at that weight since cintron was it?
        He gets credit for fighting him at 150, and Im not even a f.lomo anymore. Floyd cant even make 54, so any fight at that weight is a bonus fight. But fighting Cotto at 54, is allot different from fighting a 60lber at 54. Martinez will be waay stronger than Cotto once he adds on more weight the night before the fight. Cotto was like a mule, Martinez will be a huge horse. And I dont even think Floyd can win. Cotto tapped him with slow left hands, Martinez is allot bigger, longer, taller, faster, stronger. Martinez has one punch KO power and if he lands cleanly, I think it will be worse than the mosley fight. Martinez will land cleanly more than once. His hands down style make it hard for you to see his blistering punches coming. I dont even think he should fight the guy. He wont win, so he is just fighting to lose and get respect? Just fight Pac, and leave the game. Stay away from 54.

Comment

So lets say they do fight, how do you think floyd fights martinez? He usually walks southpaws down and doesnt use his shoulder roll as much and comes in with his guard up. but I actually think thats what he would do and be his only chance of winning. Cant see him being successful at moving and trying to box martinez as he is bigger and arguably faster

Comment

Sergios Martinez lack of defense will be exposed by Mayweather Jr. Mark my words Floyd is going to land at will.

Comment

Anywhere from 150-154 where Martinez is willing to fight either Mayweather or Pacquiao is fine, because Pacquiao doesn't even want to fight him at all. At exactly 154 would be a great win, one of Floyd's best wins, top 3 for sure. Anywhere above 154[155-160], it has to be considered either the best or second best win of Floyd's career.

Comment

Sure Floyd would get some credit it would be a good win, but at 154 I think Martinez loses a lot and guys like him who rely on speed and reflexes they can't afford to lose much or their whole style falls apart. When you consider Segio is already on an inevitable decline, speeding up that process by cutting weight (which is really hard to do the older you get) will probably be very costly.

Still it would be a good win, even a faded Martinez is still a really good fighter but he won't be at his best at 154 so that would need to get said if you want to be honest about the fight. At 160 it would be a great win but 154 would cheapen it a lot for me.

As for how Floyd would go about it, he will try and make Martinez reach in then counter. Form there Floyd would either move out and try to reset that trap or move in to fight inside and depending on which worked best that is the one he would try more often. Really though Floyd would force Martinez to attack and Martinez would oblige him because he is an offensive boxer. I am sure Martinez will hit Floyd a bit more than average but the question is can he hit Floyd enough clean (or hurt Floyd) because Floyd will land almost all his punches clean which is hard to overcome.

I could see the fight happening but I still think it is not very likely.

Comment

I was always optimistic that this fight will happen, from tome to time Floyd likes to challenge himself. I think if it does go down it will be at 154 and not 150. But if time passes, I can see Floyd considering 150. But on a side note, there were some posters on here who claimed that there was a clause on Martinez contract for when he fought Chavez that stated that if he won, he would be copromoted by top rank. Is there any truth to it

Comment

Originally posted by FIGHTING_FLIP View Post
                    So lets say they do fight, how do you think floyd fights martinez? He usually walks southpaws down and doesnt use his shoulder roll as much and comes in with his guard up. but I actually think thats what he would do and be his only chance of winning. Cant see him being successful at moving and trying to box martinez as he is bigger and arguably faster
                    Right hands to the body

Counters Martinez jab with his own jab since Martinez returns his hand at a low position after jabbing

Lead rights to the head

Using the shoulder roll style guard can actually protect you against Martinez left hand. It worked for Macklin for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                    X