Sergio Martinez vs Paul Williams 2 "When keeping it real goes wrong"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio Martinez vs Paul Williams 2 "When keeping it real goes wrong"

Train smart....

And Sergio was telegraphing the hell out of that overhand. Paul was fighting to blinded though.

Comment

Originally posted by TriGaFinGa View Post
      And Sergio was telegraphing the hell out of that overhand. Paul was fighting to blinded though.
      He was fighting how his trainer trained him mentally and physically

Comment

I remember hearing how he didn't do any technique work since he knows how to throw the punches etc most of it was just conditioning work in camp. I didn't like his style

I also heard that Mike Tyson used to throw a thousand or so jabs in the mirror to perfect his technique

Comment

Originally posted by DosRounds View Post
          I remember hearing how he didn't do any technique work since he knows how to throw the punches etc most of it was just conditioning work in camp. I didn't like his style

I also heard that Mike Tyson used to throw a thousand or so jabs in the mirror to perfect his technique
          Drills(reps, qualifications) is how every military in the world teach and those dudes are trained to die...So boxing should be taught similar. These things happen...sad

Comment

I agree 100%...but I think I remember an interview where Paul was saying his trainers would tell him to fight smarter, fight taller but he said he'd often not listen because "he's a fighter/warrior etc."

A fighter's style has to match their temperament. Brawlers can't be overly defensive minded. Boxers can't be brawlers. But here is an example where a fighter's temperament (brawler/puncher) negates so many of his natural assets.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
              I agree 100%...but I think I remember an interview where Paul was saying his trainers would tell him to fight smarter, fight taller but he said he'd often not listen because "he's a fighter/warrior etc."

A fighter's style has to match their temperament. Brawlers can't be overly defensive minded. Boxers can't be brawlers. But here is an example where a fighter's temperament (brawler/puncher) negates so many of his natural assets.
              I have to reference the military again as soldiers have temperament while being fired on. A skill they more than likely were taught from bootcamp. Teaching is not just instrucying a guy to run or hit the bag.

Comment

So how did someone as limited as Williams get to such high level? can having a high stamina and work rate make up for lack of intelligence and skill?

Comment

Originally posted by FilMor View Post
                  So how did someone as limited as Williams get to such high level? can having a high stamina and work rate make up for lack of intelligence and skill?
                  like many fighters he has a lot of skills that get overlooked due to how unorthodox he is. he has some big holes in his game but many assets that are unique to him.

his in fighting ability, he isnt that easy to hit once he gets all the way inside and moves his feet and head in an excellent rhythm while thoring punches at the same time.

those punches are while they tend to be wide are quite accurate, also his hand speed is very underrated as his his arsenal of punches. the combination punching and body punching is superb.

add the fact that he has an iron chin, is tough as nails, has terrific stamina like you said and ridiculous size and you have quite a task on your hands facing off against the punisher.

he could have been the best of his generation, so much talent. the flaws of his kept him from living up to his potential as a fighter but it still carried him to an excellent career.

Comment

Working...
                  X