No announcement yet.

Comments: Haye's showdown with V. Klitschko in the balance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments: Haye's showdown with V. Klitschko in the balance

David Haye's hopes of fighting Vitali Klitschko hang in the balance after the heavyweight champion’s political party came third in the Ukrainian election on Sunday.

Klitschko’s UDAR (Punch) party was forecast to have won 15 per cent of the vote which should be enough to send the 41-year-old into parliament - and possibly retirement.

But while Haye faces a wait to see if he will tackle the elder brother, the WBO are considering naming him as the mandatory challenger to Wladimir, who beat the Brit over 12 lop-sided rounds in 2011.

Vitali, who was disappointed with his party’s performance, must now attempt to form an opposition coalition after the ruling Regions Party looked set to retain its parliamentary majority.

‘I had said that we had tremendous potential,’ he said. ‘We must still analyse everything: why we could have won more votes but failed to do so.’

Confusion continues to reign meanwhile about whether the long-reigning champion will hang up his gloves for a second time.

Before stopping Manuel Charr last month he said: ‘First of all, I have to win the parliament election. Step by step by step. After that, I can give you an answer.

‘Right now, there are many discussions about [retirement]. I’m not ready to announce about my retirement. Maybe one fight, maybe two fights more. And after that, I am retired. I am active in politics.’

But his manager Bernd Boente believes electoral success would mean the end of his tenure in the ring.

‘If Vitali gets a role after the elections where he can make a difference, I suppose that would be the end of his career,' he told Sport Bild. ‘As a friend and manager, that’s what I would advise. The fight for democracy and against corruption is more important than a fight against David Haye.’

The Londoner, however, insists a contract has already been agreed for the £10million superfight to take place next year. ‘The fight has already been agreed, the contract’s done - the money, the split, everything. We don’t need a new contract,’ he claimed.

Should the veteran choose to concentrate on his political career, Haye may instead seek revenge on his 36-year-old sibling.

Originally posted by yoz View Post
    David Haye's hopes of fighting Vitali Klitschko hang in the balance after the heavyweight champion’s political party came third in the Ukrainian election on Sunday.

Klitschko’s UDAR (Punch) party was forecast to have won 15 per cent of the vote which should be enough to send the 41-year-old into parliament - and possibly retirement.

But while Haye faces a wait to see if he will tackle the elder brother, the WBO are considering naming him as the mandatory challenger to Wladimir, who beat the Brit over 12 lop-sided rounds in 2011.

Vitali, who was disappointed with his party’s performance, must now attempt to form an opposition coalition after the ruling Regions Party looked set to retain its parliamentary majority.

‘I had said that we had tremendous potential,’ he said. ‘We must still analyse everything: why we could have won more votes but failed to do so.’

Confusion continues to reign meanwhile about whether the long-reigning champion will hang up his gloves for a second time.

Before stopping Manuel Charr last month he said: ‘First of all, I have to win the parliament election. Step by step by step. After that, I can give you an answer.

‘Right now, there are many discussions about [retirement]. I’m not ready to announce about my retirement. Maybe one fight, maybe two fights more. And after that, I am retired. I am active in politics.’

But his manager Bernd Boente believes electoral success would mean the end of his tenure in the ring.

‘If Vitali gets a role after the elections where he can make a difference, I suppose that would be the end of his career,' he told Sport Bild. ‘As a friend and manager, that’s what I would advise. The fight for democracy and against corruption is more important than a fight against David Haye.’

The Londoner, however, insists a contract has already been agreed for the £10million superfight to take place next year. ‘The fight has already been agreed, the contract’s done - the money, the split, everything. We don’t need a new contract,’ he claimed.

Should the veteran choose to concentrate on his political career, Haye may instead seek revenge on his 36-year-old sibling.
    It is a bit harsh to label a 15% party a fiasco. Remember that the party is just two years old. I would call it a very decent result as it also is described in most medias.

I would like a Haye vs. Vitali fight but Haye should fight a top10 fighter before such a fight - at least to respect other boxers who has to fight their way to a title fight. Let him fight Pulev, Adamek, Helenius or Boytsov. He would be favorite against all of them but the Pulev fight would be close to 50-50. Boytsov might also be able to catch him with a bomb but I doubt.

Comment

I guess we'll see.

Interesting comments arising from the Haye camp, though. A confirmed £10m super fight next year? Judging by Haye's past form, it's probably all lies.

I've got Vitali by UD if this ever happens.

Comment

Working...
      X