Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here believes Liston hit Harder than Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Georgie was heavy handed to begin with and when he sat down a little and turned his right hand over it had a devasting effect!! Same with his jab but theres a difference between being heavy handed and hitting hard. The results are the same but hard hitters usually have good techniques and can punch hard with both hands where the heavy handed guys don't and can't hit as solid unless their planted still. Listen could move his feet and double jab and drop a right hand that was hard. Big George usually needed the other guy to stop moving his feet then drop punches on him.
    I never saw Liston live but did see Georgie early in his carreer and then after his lay off. Georgie was a scarey man to see across the ring inperson he was a big man now I'm no heavyweight but I'm not scared of anything but I'm not fighting that monster. Just ask Moorer, everything was going alright and actually fairly boring and uneventfull then................its over! Liston was a scarey guy too, ya think? Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Georgie was heavy handed to begin with and when he sat down a little and turned his right hand over it had a devasting effect!! Same with his jab but theres a difference between being heavy handed and hitting hard. The results are the same but hard hitters usually have good techniques and can punch hard with both hands where the heavy handed guys don't and can't hit as solid unless their planted still. Listen could move his feet and double jab and drop a right hand that was hard. Big George usually needed the other guy to stop moving his feet then drop punches on him.
      I never saw Liston live but did see Georgie early in his carreer and then after his lay off. Georgie was a scarey man to see across the ring inperson he was a big man now I'm no heavyweight but I'm not scared of anything but I'm not fighting that monster. Just ask Moorer, everything was going alright and actually fairly boring and uneventfull then................its over! Liston was a scarey guy too, ya think? Ray
      Liston was the most intimidating fighter to have ever walked the planet

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        prime for prime it's a hell of a fight. Liston did hit very hard and had a very good chin before the drugs got him.

I'd still edge Foreman however, probably by stoppage. Foreman was just a monster, an even bigger monster than Liston.

the prime 224 lb Foreman that busted Norton up though, beats just about anyone because he was a solid boxer himself just because his jab was world class. People go on about Listons jab because it was 84 inches, but Foreman swas much more jolting imo.
        His defence wasn't very good though. A past prime Ali had a field day with straight punches and solid boxing. I think Liston stops him in round 8 by TKO.

Comment

I'd edge Foreman.....though not by much. Both had one-punch power.

Poet

Comment

Punch for punch I got foreman hitting harder

Head to head I got foreman by K.O, then again shavers did beat ali and foreman lost to ali. Then again that wasn't the same Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
              Punch for punch I got foreman hitting harder

Head to head I got foreman by K.O, then again shavers did beat ali and foreman lost to ali. Then again that wasn't the same Ali.
              When did Shavers beat Ali?

Comment

..........in his sleep...........

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  Pretty difficult argument to prove either way. Just to close to call, but I'd probably favor Foreman by a shade.
                  That's exactly how I feel about it. Impossible to prove but if I had to pick one it would be Foreman but not by much.

Comment

Liston's punches were sharper and shorter, and he had better timing than George, but IMO Foreman was the hardest puncher in boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
                      An argument made for Liston is that Chuck Wepner who fought them both said that Liston hit harder than George
                      Wepner actually used the words "so much harder" in comparing the two.

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                      Foreman was an underdeveloped novice pro when he fought Wepner. Only 210 odd pounds.

Contrast that Foreman with the heavy handed tank which fought Gerry Cooney.

To be honest both guys packed a real wallop, there wasn't much in it. Advantage to Foreman on uppercuts though.
                      And Liston was completely shot when he fought Wepner...

I give the edge to Liston in power, and certainly give him the edge in punching technique.

Comment

Working...
                      X