No announcement yet.

Mistake by Chad Dawson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistake by Chad Dawson?

After Dawson was knocked down, Dawson tried to get up as soon as he could. At the count of 5, Dawson was already on his way up and was completely up after 6 almost 7 count. At that point, the ref counted up to 8 then asked Dawson if he was ready to continue .... Dawson was still out of it as far as being stable on his feet. Possibly even his eyes but I didn't get a chance to see that.

It must have been reactionary/instinctual but Chad should have waited a bit longer before attempting to get up. This way, he would have gotten an extra second or two since the ref would have gone higher than an 8 count before asking Dawson if he was ready to fight. Chad was also close to the ropes, he could have tried getting support while getting up but didn't.

Maybe it would not have made the difference but sometimes that is all you need to "look" OK to continue as far as the ref's standards are concerned.

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
    After Dawson was knocked down, Dawson tried to get up as soon as he could. At the count of 5, Dawson was already on his way up and was completely up after 6 almost 7 count. At that point, the ref counted up to 8 then asked Dawson if he was ready to continue .... Dawson was still out of it as far as being stable on his feet. Possibly even his eyes but I didn't get a chance to see that.

It must have been reactionary/instinctual but Chad should have waited a bit longer before attempting to get up. This way, he would have gotten an extra second or two since the ref would have gone higher than an 8 count before asking Dawson if he was ready to fight. Chad was also close to the ropes, he could have tried getting support while getting up but didn't.

Maybe it would not have made the difference but sometimes that is all you need to "look" OK to continue as far as the ref's standards are concerned.
    Chad was out, he wasn't even there, so he didn't think about "getting support from the ropes". He was badly injured in that moment and he didn't have his legs. The moment he went down and how he reacted I thought he won't beat the count. It reminded me of Thompson vs David Price - if a fighter goes down so hard, it is over. I remember thinking in my head that if the ref lets Dawson continue he should be charged with murder.

Comment

Interesting outlook. Chad did get up really quick because he couldn't move for the first few seconds and then all of a sudden he was on his feet. I don't think it would have made any difference but who knows. Dawson was no more hurt than Peterson was against Matthysse. They both were off balance and really disoriented. However, Peterson was able to put his gloves up when the ref asked. Chad had problems doing that. Maybe with a few extra seconds he could've cleared his head. I think the ref just saved Dawson from taking a few extra shots to the head. The stoppage was inevitable.

Comment

Dawson got hurt bad, I don't think you can recover from that easily. His only mistake was getting caught early on lol

Comment

Dawson was done. He could have stayed down for 9 and half seconds and he still wouldn't have been fit to continue.

Sometimes, you just get knocked the fuck out, that's boxing, not much you can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Halls of Fame View Post
            Chad was out, he wasn't even there, so he didn't think about "getting support from the ropes". He was badly injured in that moment and he didn't have his legs. The moment he went down and how he reacted I thought he won't beat the count. It reminded me of Thompson vs David Price - if a fighter goes down so hard, it is over. I remember thinking in my head that if the ref lets Dawson continue he should be charged with murder.
            True Chad was out of it and I agree at the point of the stoppage, the ref made the right call. Still, there have been fighters in worse condition try to use the ropes for support and some realize that they should take their time to get up.

Chad got up with little problem but he was not all there and it showed. His legs were not there.

Me too, I thought that Dawson was not going to get up in time but then when I saw him jump up so fast I was surprised.

Sometimes all you need is a few more seconds and your head/body reacts differently. As I stated already, perhaps it would not make a difference but Chad made a mistake trying to get up so soon.

Comment

After Chad got clobbered, he got up n thought he was back at home in connecuit til he realized he was in a boxing fight in Canada. Poor guy. Smh

Comment

Originally posted by Public_Enemy View Post
                Interesting outlook. Chad did get up really quick because he couldn't move for the first few seconds and then all of a sudden he was on his feet. I don't think it would have made any difference but who knows. Dawson was no more hurt than Peterson was against Matthysse. They both were off balance and really disoriented. However, Peterson was able to put his gloves up when the ref asked. Chad had problems doing that. Maybe with a few extra seconds he could've cleared his head. I think the ref just saved Dawson from taking a few extra shots to the head. The stoppage was inevitable.
                Peterson and Dawson were completely different knocked downs..I thought Peterson was still in in somewhat but Dawson was completely gone..you could see it in his eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rigg View Post
                  After Chad got clobbered, he got up n thought he was back at home in connecuit til he realized he was in a boxing fight in Canada. Poor guy. Smh
                  lol ...true ..... except he was no longer in a boxing fight since it was over ...... you can say "until he realized he just lost a boxing fight in Canada."

Comment

I think a lot of refs may have let Chad continue but it would have delayed the inevitable and allowed for a brutal KO finish...

I would have had Chad try and walk to me before waving the fight off...

Chad looked confident the way he started the fight, he was going toe-to-toe with Adonis and blow for blow in the center of the ring, he just got caught cold...

Comment

Working...
                    X