No announcement yet.

Oldest boxers still alive?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest boxers still alive?

With a couple of great ones having deceased recently, I had thoughts about who are the oldest boxers still alive today.

Here are some names I came up with:

Oldest Hall of Famer: Jimmy Bivins? (born 1919)
    Oldest world champion: Jake LaMotta (born 1921)

Oldest HW champion: Muhammad Ali (born 1942)
    Oldest HW title holder: Ernie Terrell (born 1939)
    Oldest HW title contender: Roland LaStarza? (born 1927)

Oldest LHW champion: Harold Johnson (born 1928)
    Oldest WW champion: Carmen Basilio? (born 1927)

Can you think of any others?
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 01-31-2009, 07:10 PM.

Is Max Schmelling still alive? The last I heard the guy was damn near 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Knighte View Post
      Is Max Schmelling still alive? The last I heard the guy was damn near 100.
      He died in 2005 at 99 years of age.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
        With a couple of great ones having deceased recently, I had thoughts about who are the oldest boxers still alive today.

** Al Delaney, 1916 and Charley Massera, 1912 fought Joe Louis and no deaths recorded on boxrec.

Since they are from Buffalo and Philly, I'd think their deaths would be recorded, but it's a bit of a guess.

Tiger Ted Lowry turned 89 this month. Looks like he could whoop 90% of the 20 yr olds today from the looks of him a few years back in Ring.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
          ** Al Delaney, 1916 and Charley Massera, 1912 fought Joe Louis and no deaths recorded on boxrec.

Since they are from Buffalo and Philly, I'd think their deaths would be recorded, but it's a bit of a guess.

Tiger Ted Lowry turned 89 this month. Looks like he could whoop 90% of the 20 yr olds today from the looks of him a few years back in Ring.
          I believe Al Delaney died in 1997. Delaney's boxing record doesn't seem to show it but the profile does (http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Human:12093).
          Charley Massera however is still alive from what I know.

Lowry is still doing well, it has been nearly 60 years since his fights against Marciano.

Comment

LaMotta and Basilio are the two that immediately come to mind.

Comment

Lauro Salas (born 1928) could still be alive. Neither Boxrec nor Wikipedia records his death. If he is, he'd be the oldest living lightweight champ. If not then Carlos Ortiz (born 1936) has that honour.

Henry Cooper and Brian London (both born 1934) are still around and faring well, last I heard.

Comment

Jimmy Bivens born 1919

Comment

i was thinking lamotta but its very interesting to see all these fighters still alive, i've learned alot from this topic..

Comment

Elmer "Violent" Ray (born 1910). Boxrec doesn't record a date of death, so he'd be 99 this year if still alive. Surely the oldest living boxer.

Comment

Working...
                    X