No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis vs Joe Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RingTech01 View Post
    i think people put too much basis on size. louis beat the bigger galt3ento and the biger canara.
    Size is quite important though.

Plus, those two aren't on the same level as Lewis. Haye beat a bigger Valuev, that doesn't mean he'd beat Lewis.

Technically, Lewis should win this. But you never know with Lennox, depends what shape/state of mind he's in.

Comment

If Lewis brings his A-game he wins. The guy was a monster with skills to back it up.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
        Your thoughts and comments

Thank You

it would look like klitckco vs. arrola

Comment

Originally posted by RingTech01 View Post
          i think people put too much basis on size. louis beat the bigger galt3ento and the biger canara.
          Those guys were 2nd grade versions of Lewis. They were nothing compare to Lewis and would have both been beaten to death by LL.

Lewis vs Joe Louis

Lewis made a career out of destroying big punchers. Now did any of them punch as hard as Joe Joe, debatable. That being said Louis need to get inside on Lennox to win this one. If Joe can constantly land those lefts and inside combinations to the body of Lennox and some to the head, he will make it a very long night.
          I just don't see how Joe can consistantly do this without taking massive punishment himself though.
          Lewis would be the best all around fighter that Louis fought in terms of overall power,speed,skills and ring generalship. Joe fought Buddy Bear, Buddy Bear is like a 4th grade Lennox Lewis. Lewis have too much a combination of size, power, skills, jab, and that big right hand for the much smaller Joe to overcome.
          The upper cuts Lewis will land as Joe gets inside will be too much and too devasting.
          Joe will give it a great go, he is a ruthless stalker and one of the great finishers. Once Joe gets you hurt, it's very hard for you to recover. The one thing we DO see from Lewis is that he recovers from being hurt very quickly. Outside of the two fluke ko's, every fight Lewis was hurt in, he came back stronger.
          Vitali-Bruno-Mercer-Briggs-Mason he was hurt in all of them and he came back. Obviously not one of those guys were any where near Joe's caliber, I'll admit that much.
          Still I just don't see Joe's combinations,skills,power and heart over coming Lewis's own combinations, skills, SUPERIOR SIZE, superior jab, superior power, and equal heart.

Comment

so how about
            the Lewis that fought Tua versus the louis that fought schmelling (2)?

Comment

Lennox Lewis should win. I don't see Joe Lewis getting past the stiff jab of the modern fighter. Fighter's from Joe's era were a lot stiffer & the fighting mechanic was neanderthal compared to this modern era. It would be interesting however to see Joe Lewis in this modern era, with modern training & nutrition. He'd also probably be a little bigger & more fluid. Then the fight would be closer & far more interesting.

Or if Lennox was in that era. He'd probably be stiffer, smaller then Joe would probably have beaten him senseless. As far as quality of fighter with all things outside the obvious factored in, I think Joe was a greater heavyweight & he would have won on even terms if they fought in the same era.

Comment

In before the "modern training and nutrition" horsecrap.

Louis is superior to Lewis in every category aside from size, and Joe was exceptional at fighting inside, so the reach advantage is going to mean less than it would if we're talking about a guy who had to box from the outside.

Louis breaks Lewis' chin within 3 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                  Lennox Lewis should win. I don't see Joe Lewis getting past the stiff jab of the modern fighter. Fighter's from Joe's era were a lot stiffer & the fighting mechanic was neanderthal compared to this modern era. It would be interesting however to see Joe Lewis in this modern era, with modern training & nutrition. He'd also probably be a little bigger & more fluid. Then the fight would be closer & far more interesting.

Or if Lennox was in that era. He'd probably be stiffer, smaller then Joe would probably have beaten him senseless. As far as quality of fighter with all things outside the obvious factored in, I think Joe was a greater heavyweight & he would have won on even terms if they fought in the same era.
                  I spoke too soon.

Who is Joe Lewis? Was he really a neanderthal?

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                    In before the "modern training and nutrition" horsecrap.

Louis is superior to Lewis in every category aside from size, and Joe was exceptional at fighting inside, so the reach advantage is going to mean less than it would if we're talking about a guy who had to box from the outside.

Louis breaks Lewis' chin within 3 rounds.
                    Finally somebody who doesn't trash Louis as a midget who would have struggled against any decent HW of the modern era .

For the records, Joe Louis was 6'2, same size as John Ruiz , Chris Byrd or, to pick a puncher, Ibeabuchi.

That said, I'm not sure if Louis would push the issue on the inside in the first rounds. He was rather patient, usually not a swarmer, and Lewis had a big uppercut.
                    What's more, an excessive clinching would disfavour Louis, who usually weighed in around 205lbs (maximum weight 218), while Lewis best weight was probably around 235lbs.

I think he'd move, let Lewis' jab and keep the distance while he sets traps with footwork and feints.

If Lewis falls into one of these traps (personally, I consider it likely, but you never know in boxing), then I can see him being sent to sleep.
                    Joe Louis was arguably the best finisher in the history of the sport.

For the sake of honesty, I also give a chance to Lewis to hurt and possibly knock down Louis with one of his uppercuts, while I don't think he could manage to do the job from the outside against a smart and defesively sound fighter like Louis.

All considered, trying to be as unbiased as possible, Lewis can win if he fights the -perfect- fight.

Comment

Joe Louis via KO. I don't think Lennox could handle his combinations on the inside.

Comment

Working...
                      X