No announcement yet.

Weight Training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Training

I haven't actually had a fight in quite some time, these days I'm more into strength (weight) training, although I still hit the bag a lot, run, and spar whenever I can. The problem is, as I've gotten bigger, my arms feel like they weigh a ton, (hard to keep my hands up) and I feel like I don't have the same snap I used to. I still can box circles around most people I know, but I wonder is there anything I can do to regain the snap I used to have? Or is it too late? Would stretching more help? I guess I could cut back on the weight training, but I actually enjoy doing it, and would rather not stop.

This is a serious post, and I hope no one thinks I'm just being stupid, but I really don't have access to anyone locally with my problem. My arms measure about 20", and my bodyfat is fairly low, although I'm not on any special diet, I pretty much eat what I want, and no, I've never used steroids. Ever.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Originally posted by COOP407 View Post
    I haven't actually had a fight in quite some time, these days I'm more into strength (weight) training, although I still hit the bag a lot, run, and spar whenever I can. The problem is, as I've gotten bigger, my arms feel like they weigh a ton, (hard to keep my hands up) and I feel like I don't have the same snap I used to. I still can box circles around most people I know, but I wonder is there anything I can do to regain the snap I used to have? Or is it too late? Would stretching more help? I guess I could cut back on the weight training, but I actually enjoy doing it, and would rather not stop.

This is a serious post, and I hope no one thinks I'm just being stupid, but I really don't have access to anyone locally with my problem. My arms measure about 20", and my bodyfat is fairly low, although I'm not on any special diet, I pretty much eat what I want, and no, I've never used steroids. Ever.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

what up bro is that u in your avy? how old are you and how much do you weight? what do you bench and curl and what your max? i was a powerlifter to and i have or had the same problem with my snap speed and keeping my arms up. i had to lay off the weights for a minute to loosen up and also i found out stretching after a workout helps tremendously. its this masseuse that felt my arm and told me i had weightlifters tension and he showed me some amazing stretches to loosen up. and i also got tennis elbow and a pulled muscle from lifting and he loosened that up too. but u gotta do resistance and endurance training to after you powerlifting to keep you loose. david tua is a prime example and bolo yueng the martial artist. they kept there speed by doing speed exercises and endurance training after the power lifting to keep the snap. and you have to do punch exercises too. and you gotta loose bulk too if you have too much. its not necessary if you wanna fight you can still nech the same just avoid putting oon the mass if possible. like Michael jai white does. he keeps his speed and power and fitness while having a sculpted physic with size. no ***go. but yeah you gotta switch up the regimine and find the strength training and speed /explosive regiment if you want results.

also U CANNOT EAT WHAT YOU WANT THATS A ****IN NO NO BRO!!! ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET WERE YOU WANT WITHOUT THE PRECISE NUTRITION!!!

Comment

Yes, that is me in my av, and you're absolutely right, I know I need to clean up my diet. I recently dropped about 20 pounds, (down to the 240-245 range) from stepping up my running, and I already feel better.

As far as speed exercises, what would u suggest?

Comment

You can do several things to help your speed.

-Plyometrics. You might be interested in that since you can keep up your strength that way. I'd probably scrap one day of lifting at least for one day of plyo's no matter what. Things like plyo pushups or power overs are good as well as plyo's for the rest of the body.

-Shadowboxing. Duh. Awesome for speed and if you wear 16oz gloves or hold some light hand weights (2-3 lbs) or use a light stretch band around your back, it gets even better.

-Isometrics. Isometrics are when you push, pull, whatever, against an immovable objects as hard as you can. Doing this with your punches and a wall is good for speed especially if you throw 10-20 of that punch soon after that. You can press your fist into the wall at the beginning middle and end of the jab (or whatever) as hard as you can and throw a few jabs (or whatever) right after. There is a science behind it but I wont bore you with that. It'll help.

-Stretching. Lots of stretching. If your stiff your basically fighting the other muscles every time you punch so loosening them up will definetly help.

Also making sure your chest and back's strength levels are equal will help to a degree.

Comment

If you're currently eating like **** (junk food and all that).

Give yourself 1 cheat day for junk food (And I don't mean like mcdonalds or anything...eat something nice..like greek food or japanese food)

You gotta set goals and rewards... or else you'll give up on eating right. To help your speed you can use resistance bands and all that.. be creative

hope this helps ..lol

Comment

I'm gonna give these suggestions a shot, appreciate the input. I really like the idea of the plyometric training, I've heard a lot about it, but never really gave it an honest shot.

Comment

Working...
            X