Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: To Quit or Not To Quit: Escobedo Gains From Positive Spin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: To Quit or Not To Quit: Escobedo Gains From Positive Spin

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I’ve never met Vicente Escobedo, but he seems like a decent enough guy.

He’s had a solid career. He represented his country at the Olympics. And he seems to genuinely care about the wife and child he referenced during Saturday night’s HBO interview.

As far as human beings go, that makes him above-average in my book.

But in a boxing-only context relating to his title-fight performance against Adrien Broner, the guy’s been getting double-standard love typically reserved for Filipino politicians.

And by the time his lumpy-eyed sniffles began alongside Max Kellerman in downtown Cincinnati, I was getting a little teary-eyed myself.

First things first, though… let’s dispense with some realities.

Regardless of weigh-in issues or event-saving stimulus plans, there was no way Escobedo was beating Broner – short of loaded gloves or a nightstick – in the ring at U.S. Bank Arena.

While he may be too showy for some and too arrogant for others, the now former 130-pound champ is also too quick, has too much pop and plays defense too well for a guy of Escobedo’s completely commendable, but limited by comparison, skill set to handle.

Could I do without the reverential hair-brushing and mock marriage proposal that left poor Max stammering into his microphone? Sure. Is he the sort of fighter my dad – whose teen years included the primes of Joe Louis, Ray Robinson and Willie Pep – would have preferred? Absolutely not.

But in an era where social networking and heat generation are as valued as “works well to the body” and “hooks off the jab,” he’s assembled a total package the “Network of Champions” clearly covets [Click Here To Read More]

hes very average, below if anythign

Comment

This guy is an idiot. The corner stopped the fight, Ortiz quit on his own .

Comment

Lyle using very bad comparisons and reaching

Comment

least he can say he been in the ring with a future hall of fame all time great.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcursedawg View Post
            This guy is an idiot. The corner stopped the fight, Ortiz quit on his own .
            ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Cracker
              This guy isn't going anywhere. At least he got paid tho
              who had the better litzau knockout, broner or gamboa???

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I’ve never met Vicente Escobedo, but he seems like a decent enough guy.

He’s had a solid career. He represented his country at the Olympics. And he seems to genuinely care about the wife and child he referenced during Saturday night’s HBO interview.

As far as human beings go, that makes him above-average in my book.

But in a boxing-only context relating to his title-fight performance against Adrien Broner, the guy’s been getting double-standard love typically reserved for Filipino politicians.

And by the time his lumpy-eyed sniffles began alongside Max Kellerman in downtown Cincinnati, I was getting a little teary-eyed myself.

First things first, though… let’s dispense with some realities.

Regardless of weigh-in issues or event-saving stimulus plans, there was no way Escobedo was beating Broner – short of loaded gloves or a nightstick – in the ring at U.S. Bank Arena.

While he may be too showy for some and too arrogant for others, the now former 130-pound champ is also too quick, has too much pop and plays defense too well for a guy of Escobedo’s completely commendable, but limited by comparison, skill set to handle.

Could I do without the reverential hair-brushing and mock marriage proposal that left poor Max stammering into his microphone? Sure. Is he the sort of fighter my dad – whose teen years included the primes of Joe Louis, Ray Robinson and Willie Pep – would have preferred? Absolutely not.

But in an era where social networking and heat generation are as valued as “works well to the body” and “hooks off the jab,” he’s assembled a total package the “Network of Champions” clearly covets [Click Here To Read More]
                Lyle Fitzsimmons. Learn about journalism. You started your article referencing yourself as the lead.

It's okay to write an opinion piece, but you use way too many cliches ("But I digress" - why do that at all / "ends justify the means" are you Machiavelli?) to cover a cliche, easy target - Vicente Escobedo.

Escobedo is a good fighter and a good guy, would you want to get in the ring with a guy who can't even weigh in? You saw Corrales-Castillo 2.

The facts are the facts. The fight wasn't even going to happen until 4 or 5 pm. Escobedo was ready to go home, as he should've, but I don't blame him for taking $600,000 to his home.

This artic

Comment

Did I miss the part where Escobedo quit??? From what I saw, yeah, he was getting his ass beat, but he stayed on his feet and was trying to defend himself (key word: trying), and it was the corner who waved the towel.

Also, about the weight, the author may say that weighing 133.5 lb. was no big deal, but the fact that Broner didn't have to sacrifice himself to get down to 130 in the first place like Escobedo did was what made it wrong.

True, Escobedo still would've gotten beat even if Broner had weighed 130 at the weigh-in...and at the very best maybe the fight would've lasted another 2-3 rounds, but the result would've been the same. Escobedo is a good fighter, but not world-class or elite by any means.

Escobedo COULD'VE walked away, but he did what most of us would of done if we were offered more than double what we were suppose to make in the first place (especially with a newborn child at home), and that was to fight anyways. He made his decision and got paid. But he gave it an honest try and fought the best he could against an opponent he was no match for in the first place. Contrary to what the author claims though, he didn't quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Problem View Post
                    hes very average, below if anythign
                    So why would a future hall of fame boxer in Adrien "da weight problem" Broner
                    fight him? Is it cause he can't hang with the big boys?

Comment

Working...
                    X