No announcement yet.

Hardest Puching Featherweight of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
    Would you not count Kevin Kelley? It's not just about the 'world class' status of the fighter in my opinion, it's about their chin. Naz KOed many opponents with good chins such as Daniel Alicea. Of course the one with the best chin (Wayne McCullough) stayed on his feet, which is telling.
    Kevin Kelley was past-it. Hell, in the run up to the fight HBO was talking about the Hamed fight being practically a "come back" fight for Kelley.

Poet

Comment

I'm going to go with Arguello.

The man's right hand was spine chilling.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        Kevin Kelley was past-it. Hell, in the run up to the fight HBO was talking about the Hamed fight being practically a "come back" fight for Kelley.

Poet

I'd have said that several of his KO victims were world class, just not legends of the sport like Barrera.

Granted, some were a touch post prime like Boom Boom Johnson and Kevin Kelley. But Manuel Medina became a world champion, I seem to recall a couple of times after Hamed stopped him. Paul Ingle became a world champion too, his performance against Junior Jones clearly demonstrated that he was world class. His lateral movement and bobbing/weaving that night was superb.

Vasquez and Bungu were still considered world class too.

For all Hamed's faults I do think that in terms of one punch power (either hand) he is the heaviest hitting featherweight that I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          I'd have said that several of his KO victims were world class, just not legends of the sport like Barrera.

Granted, some were a touch post prime like Boom Boom Johnson and Kevin Kelley. But Manuel Medina became a world champion, I seem to recall a couple of times after Hamed stopped him. Paul Ingle became a world champion too, his performance against Junior Jones clearly demonstrated that he was world class. His lateral movement and bobbing/weaving that night was superb.

Vasquez and Bungu were still considered world class too.

For all Hamed's faults I do think that in terms of one punch power (either hand) he is the heaviest hitting featherweight that I have seen.
          We have different standards as to what constitutes "world class". By your standard Jorge Paez is "world class" when in truth he was a freaking joke. I'd rather not debase the meaning of things by letting the riff raff in. Paul Ingle? He was a fraud ffs. The only legit name on his resume was Jones and Jones was "put a fork in him done" when Ingle fought him. Ingle gets no credit for the Jones fight: It's not just the name that matters it's when you fight them as well.

Poet

Comment

I'll take Saddler.

Comment

I like Hamed here, but I think Terry McGovern should also be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                I know I'd back McGovern to blow Hamed out in a few rounds, and McGovern is 60 places above him in as ATG at least. I know that this is not what the thread is about, but I wanted to throw that in there, Barrera would have a better chance against Terry. I'n no fan of McGovern's, I don't think much of what I read about some statements he made. Terry McGovern was however a destroyer at BW, considering he has 44 KO's in 60 wins against the Killers he fought that is an awesome record for that time......... Huge Question mark over the Gans fight of course, depending on where you stand on that you may want to call it 43 KO's. It isn't just that McGovern hit hard, he hit his targets with ease.................... He must be near the hardest hitters, but he was better at BW I think.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  McGovern certainly should have been listed over boxer/punchers Chacon, Olivares, Sanchez, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    We have different standards as to what constitutes "world class". By your standard Jorge Paez is "world class" when in truth he was a freaking joke. I'd rather not debase the meaning of things by letting the riff raff in. Paul Ingle? He was a fraud ffs. The only legit name on his resume was Jones and Jones was "put a fork in him done" when Ingle fought him. Ingle gets no credit for the Jones fight: It's not just the name that matters it's when you fight them as well.

Poet

I suppose there is 'world class' for every given weight division....and then there are those that stand out as being a bit special.

I'd never go so far as to say that Paul Ingle was particularly special, but I do think he was world class. He did give Hamed problems and had him very shaky at one point, his performance against even a post prime Junior Jones was good (I was very impressed with his defensive skills that night)......and he did get that win over Manuel Medina (who was also very much a world class fighter.....if admittedly not 'special').

Its a shame Hamed didn't fight some of the truely special fighters around his weight division at the time like Moralles, Marquez or Mayweather. The fights would have been interesting, even if he was outclassed in some cases. Azumah Nelson was touted early on, as was Junior Jones, Kennedy McKinney etc. Hell, its life.

Comment

Working...
                    X