Collapse
No announcement yet.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, Can he win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was clearly a trip....Macklin's face was falling to pieces to the point where his corner spared him cruel and un-necessary punishment. Sergio dismantles his opposition and Chavez will see first hand what reality is.

I hope he has iron eyes and cheeks as well as his alleged iron chin because his face will look like someone threw heaps of playdough around his eyes and cheeks from all the swelling that will be present. When the skin finally bursts open the blood will be flowing right into his eyes. Hard to hit what you can't see.

If Antonio Rubio did this to his right eye, Sergio will blind him.

Last edited by mathed; 08-28-2012, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dickie Smalls View Post
      I've put money on Chavez Jr based on my unreasonable disposition towards Martinez.

But I've also tried to predict the style match-up. Sergio can't duck-dance in front of Julio. If the ring does turn out to be smaller; Sergio will find it hard to execute an effective counter-punching strategy. Sergio can't brawl with Julio. I don't see Sergio's signature hooks being able to hurt Jr. with his awkward stance that seems to work against southpaws. I think Julio has the right punches to catch Sergio; he has decent uppercuts in both hands (Margarito's left uppercut, anyone?), good body hooks and a straight right that can penetrate his guard. I predict Jr. will push him to the ropes and TKO Martinez, but we'll have to wait and see how tough Chavez's chin really is, because he'll walk into a lot of sharp jabs on the way.
      Honestly, if you want to see how the fight will work style wise, you need to take a look at the Williams fights.

Williams came with the same game plan that Chavez will be coming with, except he brought a significantly higher work rate than Chavez will bring.

If we look at this fight we will come up with 2 conclusions.

1) Martinez is a much more physical fighter than is generally believed.
      2) Martinez is not a much a counter puncher as he is an ambush fighter.

He doesn't wait for you, he uses his legs to give you angles and control the distance and then picks his spots to trade with you.

Its fairly clear that Chavez lacks the skills to outbox Martinez, so he is going to have to get inside and break him down to the body.

Chavez is very good at body punching, but he throws his shots incredibly wide, leaving opportunities for Martinez to use his extremely underrated body punching inside.

Chavez biggest problem in this fight is going to be getting off his shots. Chavez is the kind of fighter than NEEDS to be able to set his feet to punch. He is terrible at punching on the move, and Martinez movement is going to give him nightmares. Even if you get inside on Martinez, he is still going to move around on you. Turn you, push you. He doesn't let you set your feet.

That is Martinez biggest strength. People think his style is based on reflexes, while it is partially, the main component of his style is his control of your balance. His entire game consists of making you reach for him so that you never have a chance to plant your feet and unload with power.

Both guys can take a very solid shot, so I don't expect either of them to get stopped.

I expect a wide UD by Martinez.

Comment

People dont know how close this fight is going to be if it doesnt finish early

Comment

If Chavez makes weight he will still weight +180 by fight time so his winning is possible because even though Martinez is alot better he will be facing an unfair weight disadvantage.

Comment

I don't think Chavez will win on decision (fairly), in the Lee fight he was losing 4-2 but he managed 2 get 2 Lee and stop him, that's what he needs 2 do against Martinez. He can win this fight tho when u have that much weight on someone u always have a chance.

Comment

Of course Junior can win. The ring will be a postage stamp, like in the Lee fight. Junior will come in at 180+, but won't be drained somehow. Martinez is pushing 40 and always gasses late in fights. Even Lee said Martinez should be prepared for how good a chin Junior has (how much of that has to do with weight and 'other things' I'll let others be the judge of). It's a lot easier to KTFO a blown-up, beanpole WW than it is a LHW (or CW, ffs). The fight will likely be decided in the last two rounds. Martinez is far more gifted and skilled, but either man could win.

Comment

Fosho I've watched Chavez an his strength grow Martinez's style isn't build for it

Comment

If it goes the 12 its a UD for Martinez Chavez Jr will have to knock him out!

Comment

Originally posted by ocelot View Post
                    Of course Junior can win. The ring will be a postage stamp, like in the Lee fight. Junior will come in at 180+, but won't be drained somehow. Martinez is pushing 40 and always gasses late in fights. Even Lee said Martinez should be prepared for how good a chin Junior has (how much of that has to do with weight and 'other things' I'll let others be the judge of). It's a lot easier to KTFO a blown-up, beanpole WW than it is a LHW (or CW, ffs). The fight will likely be decided in the last two rounds. Martinez is far more gifted and skilled, but either man could win.
                    Martinez never gasses late in the fight. Actually he is known for his stamina. Other than that i think Jr dirty too. He also KO actual top MW.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideMan View Post
                      If it goes the 12 its a UD for Martinez Chavez Jr will have to knock him out!
                      You must be new to boxing all around.

This is a Top Rank fight

Comment

Working...
                      X