Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Margarito - Cotto II, bad/early stoppage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margarito - Cotto II, bad/early stoppage?

Let's break this down for a second here. Cotto beat Margarito 9 rounds to 0, some could argue 8 rounds to 1. BUT that doesn't mean much if a fight is stopped prematurely.

The thing is, the ring doc/ref stopped the fight not because of what damage Cotto had done on Margarito's eye, but because of the damaged state of his eye itself. They assumed that because his eye was already previously damaged, it would cause more harm to let him continue. Now some would say this should NOT have been the case, because why would you stop a fight based on previous injuries? You're supposed to stop a fight based on what is happening right then and there in the ring of the fight date, not because of something that happened months ago. That's like a ref saying, "hey Pacquiao has been knocked out before so I'm gonna stop the fight a little sooner than I should because of previous damage." It just shouldn't work that way if you ask me. Pacquiao damaged Margarito's eye way worse than what Cotto did, where was the ring doc then?

Cotto fans will say well Cotto was beating him 9 rounds 0 (some could say 8-1) but what was the breaking point? Were Cotto's legs starting to gas? Could it have turned into a copy of Cotto-Marg I? This is something that we will never know due to a poor, premature stoppage in my books.

What do you fellas think? Vote in poll.

inb4 cotto fans hate me
    Yes, Margarito was quickly turning the tables and it would have gone in his favor
    10.71%
    No, Cotto was outboxing Margarito round after round and wasn't gassing out at all
    42.86%
    Maybe, it could have gone either way if the doc had not stopped the fight
    11.90%
    Yes, but I still think Cotto would have won
    34.52%
    Last edited by thuggery; 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM.

LOL gotta let it go, I wanted Margarito to make Cotto take another Knee and I was pretty damn sure Margo was going to make him take a knee or Cotto was gonna go out on his shield either way Margo was comming for that ass but it is what it is.

Comment

I think it could have went further, but if rounds 8 and 9 were any indication, Margarito was getting hit with hard shots, up top and in the body. Cotto was landing great body shots and all the laughing was over from Margarito.

I mean, I would have liked the fight to go further just because the fight itself was entertaining.

Honestly, a rubber match, so long as Tony can win another decent fight, I'd be down for. I'd like it in NYC just so I can see it again live, hopefully that bald doctor who kept interjecting himself can step aside and let them go to war

Comment

Originally posted by kimmiblob View Post
        LOL gotta let it go, I wanted Margarito to make Cotto take another Knee and I was pretty damn sure Margo was going to make him take a knee or Cotto was gonna go out on his shield either way Margo was comming for that ass but it is what it is.
        but did you read the thread though? why would they stop a fight based on previous damage to a body part, rather than damage done DURING the fight which was happening right then and there.

Comment

Nothing was going to change. That eye was just so bad. Good stoppage.

Comment

I don't know how anyone can say Cotto was gassed or that the 9th was Margo's best round. I gave Margo the 5th and even that was being generous. Maybe the reasons they stopped it for were unjustified, but Cotto was gonna win that fight regardless. 15 minutes later, we all would've heard Cotto won by unanimous decision.
            Charlie Zelenoff Charlie Zelenoff likes this.

Comment

Margarito would've stopped Cotto again in the 11th or 12th.

Cotto got a gift by the Doctor.. also Pacquiao should've gotten another W for that win. He's the one that did 95% of the damage. All Cotto did was show up to rob Margarito

Comment

Margarito already knew Cottos game plan coming in and still couldnt protect his eye from round 1

Comment

Originally posted by DAN916 View Post
                  Margarito already knew Cottos game plan coming in and still couldnt protect his eye from round 1
                  let's be honest here...it was the scrape of cotto's glove that opened Tony's eye up.. not from flush punches.

It was the thumb part of the glove as shown in replays.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
                    but did you read the thread though? why would they stop a fight based on previous damage to a body part, rather than damage done DURING the fight which was happening right then and there.
                    I read it but we all know the answer, That was their job to let Cotto win. Once Margo got in that ass Sh.it got real and they jumped. Or you can say doctor job is to protect the fighter, we all know margo will loose that eye to make cotto bow down. But all these are just guesses we will never know the real reason it was stopped. Might be as simple as the doctor was seriously concerned for that eye and would not risk his rep on margo. everyone has their theory all we know is Cotto Won by stoppage. Margo could have got in that ass but his eye. He should have protected that eye more.

Comment

Working...
                    X