No announcement yet.

Hitting yourself whilst running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting yourself whilst running

I dont get much medicine ball time when Im at the gym so I hit my stomach whilst I run and it makes my run a lot harder and wears me down a lot quicker than just running in general does anyone else do this?

Hitting yourself with a medicine ball/punching yourself in the stomach will only damage the muscle and doesn't actually offer any benefits. It's kind of like punching yourself in the arm over and over and expecting to get a 'stronger' arm. If you're reason for doing this is to be able to take body shots better, try working on your breathing when defending shots or do exercises which will build the ab muscles

Comment

I see your point but slamming a medicine ball into ones stomach has been done for years heck they even whack pacquiao with a stick surely it must have some benefit or are all these athletes doing it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sexton View Post
        Hitting yourself with a medicine ball/punching yourself in the stomach will only damage the muscle and doesn't actually offer any benefits. It's kind of like punching yourself in the arm over and over and expecting to get a 'stronger' arm. If you're reason for doing this is to be able to take body shots better, try working on your breathing when defending shots or do exercises which will build the ab muscles
        ^^ this.

even tho i wouldnt mind sitting back and watching someone hit themselves as they run for some laughs i dont think its a great idea.

and hitting yourself in the stomach i feel is more of a mental thing than a physical. dont the muay thai people rub there shins with a bamboo stick to kill off the nerves?? not sure if they trying to apply the same with hitting to stomach of a boxer... i wouldnt recommend it tho.

spend more time on your defense than hitting yourself preparing for a shot u can block.

Comment

Originally posted by chico 305 View Post
          ^^ this.

even tho i wouldnt mind sitting back and watching someone hit themselves as they run for some laughs i dont think its a great idea.

and hitting yourself in the stomach i feel is more of a mental thing than a physical. dont the muay thai people rub there shins with a bamboo stick to kill off the nerves?? not sure if they trying to apply the same with hitting to stomach of a boxer... i wouldnt recommend it tho.

spend more time on your defense than hitting yourself preparing for a shot u can block.
          Maybe your right but isnt it better to have 2 lines of defence rather than one I'm not gonna block every single body shot that is thrown at me but the second line of defence is to be able to take the shot? You know how some people raise their knees when their getting hit with body shots because their not used to taking them

Comment

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
            Maybe your right but isnt it better to have 2 lines of defence rather than one I'm not gonna block every single body shot that is thrown at me but the second line of defence is to be able to take the shot? You know how some people raise their knees when their getting hit with body shots because their not used to taking them
            it's not that they aint used to getting hit by them cause i seen boxers drop like a ton of bricks off a great body shot, i feel there's some punches when hit correctly u cant stop from hurting u to the point u get knocked out or down.

but rather than hitting yourself u should spar and get used to punches being thrown by someone else. u need to preserve your body for battle dont be your own enemy and hurt yourself as well...

and either way you punching yourself is a arm punch, it will prepare u for a arm punch... a lot of fighters out there throw there whole body into a punch which by hitting yourself isnt going to prepare u for.

i understand what your trying to do, i feel rest, less stressing out your body and taking care of yourself is more valuable.

let the next man try and punish you, learn off that

Comment

Originally posted by chico 305 View Post
              it's not that they aint used to getting hit by them cause i seen boxers drop like a ton of bricks off a great body shot, i feel there's some punches when hit correctly u cant stop from hurting u to the point u get knocked out or down.

but rather than hitting yourself u should spar and get used to punches being thrown by someone else. u need to preserve your body for battle dont be your own enemy and hurt yourself as well...

and either way you punching yourself is a arm punch, it will prepare u for a arm punch... a lot of fighters out there throw there whole body into a punch which by hitting yourself isnt going to prepare u for.

i understand what your trying to do, i feel rest, less stressing out your body and taking care of yourself is more valuable.

let the next man try and punish you, learn off that
              Fair play I see where your coming from it's just crazy how some guys can take body shots all day and others fold after one or two.
              Last edited by Juof; 05-14-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

all muscles have something called fascia

repeated light impact to the muscle causes the fascia to grow thicker, as this muscle casing grows thicker it allows the force of an impact to disperse over the muscle better causing less impact in one specific area, when you bruse you break the fascia, toughening the fascia will also help you cut back on brusing and take harder hits before brusing or damage.
                Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post

repeated light impact to the muscle causes the fascia to grow thicker, as this muscle casing grows thicker it allows the force of an impact to disperse over the muscle better causing less impact in one specific area, when you bruse you break the fascia, toughening the fascia will also help you cut back on brusing and take harder hits before brusing or damage.
                  Dam that good to know u may start seeing me punch mysel as I run too now haha

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post

Holy Santaclaus **** so light impact helps build

Comment

Working...
                    X