Floyd Mayweather has never beaten an elite fighter in his prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freedom! View Post
    I got the *****s panties in a bunch!

Floyd discussions always make me laugh - especially the ones about his relationship with Lloyd Ellerbe. :blow:
    It's true... they are the *****iest fans in the world, tied only with all other fans who defend their fighter's actions to the death, even when they know (or at least should know) they are wrong.

Do you ever start these kind of topics and set a goal of replies to see if you can get there? I used to, but mine never got very far. I don't have to gift of pissing people off I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
      That works for all of those except for Casamayor. He was right there in weight when that was going on. I don't know all the details of that fight not coming together, but I am pretty sure it had to do with money (aka the death of the sport).

Other than that, Margarito, Cotto and Pacquiao are the three names that I can really point to and say, "man, he really should have fought them at that time", meaning Margarito before the Williams loss, Cotto before the Margarito loss and Pacquiao... well, now.

I used to think this Margarito $8 million offer and Floyd ducking him wasn't an actualy duck because he was making the same amount to fight for the lineal championship against Baldomir of the division (even if Tata isn't that good, it is hard to fault a guy for going after the guy who beat the lineal title, especially when that line of champions runs from Baldomir to Judah to Spinks to Mayorga to Forrest to Mosley after his win over P4P #1 Oscar De La Hoya which vaulted him to P4P #1 himself)... however, someone showed me an ESPN article from back then that showed that the $8 million offer was on the table before the Sharmba Mitchell fight. I have no problem with Mayweather taking the Mitchell fight as a tune-up, to test the waters of 147, get his body used to the weight, etc., but there really is no excuse to fight Zab Judah, coming off a loss for less money.

Call me crazy, but I think Mayweather would have had an easier time with Margarito than Judah... Margarito just doesn't have the speed to land a lot on Floyd, and Floyd's elusiveness and quickness would keep him from getting caught on the ropes, meaning that even if he loses a round here and there on the rare occasion that he does find himself pinned on the ropes and Margarito scores some points, I don't see it happening enough rounds to give Margarito the decision, and I don't see Floyd wearing down the way Cotto did.
      True!!! would have been very one sided more 1 sided then the the floyd vs gotti fight.

Comment

• If Hatton wasnt elite when Floyd fought him...then surely David Haye is not elite...and thus the Klits cants take any credit for beating Haye as Haye is only an elite Cruiserweight and hasnt beaten anyone of note......

You cant have it both ways.....

Comment

• Neither Klitschko nor Mayweather have ever beaten a top opponent in his prime.

But Klitschko doesn't demand home advantage, he's never avoided boxers until they get old like Floyd has, he's never demanded an opponent wear extra padding in his gloves, and he's never beaten up a woman.

Comment

• More insecurity bumps by freedom. All over one little golovkin thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Devils Advocate View Post
              Vernon would have destroyed him. He was physically to big and that jab would have shut that shoulder roll shyt down.
              I was infatuated with Vernon Forrest and his jab. This is when I used to HATE Shane Mosley. He looked unbeatable at that time. What irritated me about him was how he lulled his opponents into falling for his nice guy-ness, even during the pre-fight instructions in the middle the ring. He would smile and say good luck, and then bam! They didn't know what hit them, he was so fast. It just seemed contrived and phony.

And then the late, great Viper showed up. HBO Promoted the fight by putting heavy emphasis on the fact that Vernon beat him twice in the amateurs. I was very curious about that fight but didn't think he could win. And boy, did he deliver. His and Winky Wrights jab were a thing of beauty.

Comment

• 19yrs as a pro yet never faced an elite fighter in his prime yet he couldn't get fights ...TBE my ass

Comment

• Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                  More insecurity bumps by freedom. All over one little golovkin thread
                  He even brought the alts out

Comment

• I was reading a article yesterday about TR matchmaker Bruce Trampler and when he scouted Floyd.

He goes on to say that Floyd had a thing for Oscar as early as 1997.He wanted to fight everyone Oscar fought.He goes on to say that Floyd was working on his Oscar fight very early.

Floyd really wanted to fight De La Hoya before there bout in 07.

Comment

• Originally posted by Devils Advocate View Post
                      Vernon would have destroyed him. He was physically to big and that jab would have shut that shoulder roll shyt down.
                      Originally posted by nujabes77 View Post
                      in case you didn't get the memo... fmj never loses in fantasy fights here in nsb
                      That's bull**** unless you're a fanboy. What happens in NSB is mostly some ****** just going "pacquiao, Filipino icon and national hero, would have destroyed him in five rounds if his arm didn't snap in twelve places as he was readying the perfect blow that would have knocked Floyd spark out! Lamo, pwn, Ko 5!" ect etc.

That's generally the extent of the fantasy fight scenarios, along with the other standard stuff, "hearns KO's Floyd in the first round without throwing a punch!", "Leonard dances circles around him...", "Duran makes Floyd his beeeatch and KOs his balls forever! Yeah pwned!", and on and on.

When someone actually gives a coherent, logical argument rather than the usual weak-minded spite posts, it's always taken well and I've seen lots of good arguments like this. However, when you have what is very clearly a hugely biased person writing something, frankly, ****ing moronic, then you're not going to get much of a reasoned answer let alone a good argument and even agreement.

For anyone that's actually watched Forrest and Floyd, to come out and say that Fotrest would destroy Mayweather easily and that his shoulder roll **** just wouldn't even work (cause without a shoulder roll, Floyd automatically loses the fight by KO!) ... Well, it's a bit ******ed and so no, no one will take it seriously and agree except others dimwitted ****knuckles.

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                      Floyd lost in the amateurs because he fought the best.

Would he have lost in the pros if he fought elite fighters in their prime?

This guy is David Rodreguiz 34-0 yet he's ranked only #144 at heavyweight by the BoxRec computer:

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...7041&cat=boxer

It's because he's avoided the people who can beat him.
                      There a pretty big difference between some lowly ranked nobody that hasn't fought anyone in the top fifty and a champion that's fought for two decades, across 6 divisions and beaten the best champions, number one ranked guys, HOFers, ATGs and never lost.

Comment

Working...
                      X