No announcement yet.

Defend Calzaghe's record

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
    ur contradicting urself in different posts, I'm not pulling anything out of context...
    Not in a single post do i contradict myself. Please point towards such contradictions.

1) yes
    So if Calzaghe is not one of the 10 greatest smw, who are those 10 smw that's more accomplished?

2) bhop, kessler no, lacy yes...definitely incorrect
    Yet he was an underdog to Lacy so that certainly should give him some points for taking risks?

3) absolutely, like I said before dawson had plenty of exposure on the major networks...why would he have been fighting exclusively on the two major networks (hbo and showtime) if he nobody knew him aside from the hardcore fans? he'd be on BAD or espn if he was
    I guess our definition of being know to the casual fan differs greatly.

HOVHANNISYAN VS. PEREZ is coming up this weekend on showtime. Are they also wellknown to the casual audience?

Comment

is that me saying mcclellan is better than ward?

read much?
      I asked you who is greater at smw than Ward and you came at me with those names.

So lets skip to the chase. Who is the most accomplished (greatest) smw of all time if it's not Andre Ward?

Also please list the 10 greater smw than Calzaghe.

These are two of your statements i'd like you to clarify, because i just don't get them and you seem to refuse to answer them.

For reference, this is Chris Rolds list.
      http://www.boxingscene.com/-top-20-g...ll-time--18376

How about yours? You seem to heavily disagree, so lets see it.

And please. Spare me the "this guy would have given Calzaghe hell!" bull****. Actual accomplishments please.
      Last edited by Barry Halls; 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hamza305 View Post
        I'm probably in the minority here but I'm British and I honestly believe Joe Calzaghe is overrated
        I don't believe he is overrated at all. He is fairly judged in the eyes of history. He was a good fighter with not a lot of power who had a good career in europe then came across the pond and beat 2 old Legends. The extremist Stan's on message boards don't count.
        Last edited by Ve Ri Tas; 02-22-2013, 10:54 PM.

Comment

in his span of almost 10 years of being a champion there were plenty of guys for him to fight...he chose to fight boxers in the lower part of the top 15 and sometimes even unranked fighters instead...also lhw was loaded with talent, as was mw...calzaghe didn't start calling mw fighters out until he saw taylor and pavlik struggle with smaller fighters which is around the time he fought peter manfredo

if froch beats kessler in a rematch which I believe he will, froch will have a better resume already...speaking of froch, he humiliated calzaghe in the media and became his mandatory yet never got the fight. ward has barely fought half as many people as calzaghe had and has already built up a better resume, being more dominant as well...
          I completely agree with you that Froch has a better resume, but name some guys who were Super Middleweights that he could've fought that wouldve made his resume better?

Even looking at the list of World champions during his reign... the only guys who even come close to standing out is Beyer, Mitchell and Ottke.

Beyer was beaten by Kessler, Mitchell was beaten by Calzaghe and Ottke vs Calzaghe was never going to happen.

If he would've called out people from a different weight class people wouldve moaned about it, as always happens and why would you leave the longest current reign in boxing to move weight divisions until you cant really make the weight anymore.

End of day Ward and Froch will have better resumes because there is a bigger choice of people to beat.

At least you make a much much better argument than the other guy

Comment

• How can you say Calzaghe had a better career then Taylor? Taylor beat a younger fresher Hopkins ended his title reign. Beat Froch for 11 and 3/4th rounds of a fight, then the Winky Wright draw and Cory Spinks wins definitely give him better wins then calzaghe.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

• Haha haters gonna hate

Comment

• Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
                How can you say Calzaghe had a better career then Taylor? Taylor beat a younger fresher Hopkins ended his title reign. Beat Froch for 11 and 3/4th rounds of a fight, then the Winky Wright draw and Cory Spinks wins definitely give him better wins then calzaghe.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                Taylor didn't beat Froch for 11 3/4 of the fight that's a myth. He won the first half of the fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by HardSpar View Post
                  Taylor didn't beat Froch for 11 3/4 of the fight that's a myth. He won the first half of the fight.
                  and even if it was true (it isn't) it means jack because Taylor got KTFO

Comment

• I dunno where this retcon of the Froch-Taylor fight comes from, I've seen it a few places.

As for Slapsie, while I believe he should feature strongly in a lot of fantasy match ups (yes, I believe he'd beat Ward, for one example) his career isn't, to say the least, the greatest.

The best pwn I've ever heard of Calzaghe was from Froch: "His career's got more question marks than the Riddler's cat suit."

Comment

• Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                      If he would've called out people from a different weight class people wouldve moaned about it, as always happens and why would you leave the longest current reign in boxing to move weight divisions.
                      I would guess because you dont want to get the **** beat out of you by real opposition.

Main observation on that point is that it was Otkke who had the longest reign at the time you are supposing Calzaghe had the longest reign, and Calzaghe had only held a minor title for most of that reign, so in fact he had every reason to leave the SMW division for better opps and other titles.

Calzaghe had reason to stay at SMW right at the end of his reign, becasue he could have defended titles from the major governing bodies, but we all know that he was scared ****less to defend against non-WBO title contenders and ran as soon as they came into the fray.

Comment

Working...
                      X