Comments Thread For: Mitchell Looking To Exercise Rematch Clause For Banks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Mitchell Looking To Exercise Rematch Clause For Banks

By Robert Morales
    The whole Banks story that saw him finish training Wladimir Klitschko for his win over Mariusz Wach on Nov. 10 after their trainer, Emanuel Steward, died Oct. 25, then shocking the boxing community with that second-round TKO of Mitchell a week later, is indeed a fine one. Unforgettable even.

What's next? Well, Banks is promoted by K-2 Promotions. Its general manager, Tom Loeffler, said Monday there was a rematch clause in the contract signed with Golden Boy. Gomez on Wednesday told BoxingScene.com that Mitchell wants to take exercise it.

"I have just been informed Seth wants the rematch," Gomez said about 5:30 p.m. West Coast time.

Gomez said he was going to check again with Mitchell on Monday to make sure that is still what he wants. If Mitchell changes his mind and decides to take a tune-up fight to get back on the winning track, Loeffler said there are several possibilities for Banks that include a rematch with Tomasz Adamek, who handed Banks his only loss in 2009 when they were cruiserweights.

"With that win it puts him right in line with some big fights," Loeffler said.

Loeffler said he wouldn't mind seeing Banks take on the winner of the Jan. 26 Chris Arreola-Bermane Stiverne fight, but the winner of that fight is presumably going to earn a shot at WBC champion Vitali Klitschko, if he continues to fight; Loeffler said Klitschko, 41, has yet to make that decision.

[Click Here To Read More]

I feel Jonathan Banks has earned the right to fight more highly-ranked contenders or to have a shot at Povetkin's paper belt.

It would be better for Seth Mitchell to take a warm-up or two, because being stopped a second time by Banks would ruin his career.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing Banks-Mitchell as the co-feature on the next Klitschko card in Europe.

But it would more likely be in the USA on HBO. I'm sure they will televise it because despite Seth being KOed, because he's still an Al Haymon fighter, and Haymon pulls HBO's strings.

Comment

Mitchell needs to change a lot before he steps in the ring again. That was embarrassing.

Comment

Good win for Banks. But I have to admit that it sounds rather bizarre when there is talk of another fighter taking a tune up fight before fighting him.

Comment

Rematch clauses for regional title fights & eliminators? I'd watch the fight again but I think Mitchell needs to step back & take a few fights vs journeymen & work on defense. If he doesn't improve that then Mitchell may have peaked & won't get any better. You can't teach a guy to take a punch.
          Last edited by joe strong; 11-22-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Im down to see a rematch

Comment

Mitchell is a big BUM !!!

Comment

IF Banks stops him again....Mitchell is over. Thats his pride talking. He better get some tune ups...or go fight a top ten guy and hopefully pull off a win in devastating fashion to boost him back in the game.

Comment

I could not believe how much the commentators were declaring Banks win a huge upset. During the ringwalks, the way they were completely downplaying Banks' record was really annoying to me. Banks is a solid fighter. He may not be a future HOF'r, but Seth has only been boxing for 4 years. I was just really surprised.

Comment

Why not, I like to see it.

Comment

Working...
                    X