Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many fighters have held more than 1 lineal title at the same time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE CONQUEROR View Post
    Please explain how you get to Virgil Hill being lineal champion?
    I already did. Read your homework again.

Comment

So how do you get from Michael Spinks in the mid 80's to Virgil Hill in the mid 90's? Are you saying it was vacant all that time? I am sure you could argue for the official and unofficial lineal champions in every weight class. The whole point is to get it down to 1 fighter. I am happy to go with the RING magazine rankings and I think it is laughable to cut Roy Jones Jr. out of the picture completely with this theoretical stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by THE CONQUEROR View Post
        So how do you get from Michael Spinks in the mid 80's to Virgil Hill in the mid 90's? Are you saying it was vacant all that time? I am sure you could argue for the official and unofficial lineal champions in every weight class. The whole point is to get it down to 1 fighter. I am happy to go with the RING magazine rankings and I think it is laughable to cut Roy Jones Jr. out of the picture completely with this theoretical stuff.
        It was vacant yes. To establish lineage after a champion has left or retired it's common to recognize the winner of a fight between the 2 top rated contenders as new linear champion. That didn't happen before Hill fought Maske.

And it was yourself who asked about the lineage. Talking about Ring Magazine champions is a different story. They made Jones the champion strictly for commercial reasons, as Hill's claim was much greater. I think boxingscene's Cliff Rold has written an article about it.

Comment

Originally posted by battlingnelson View Post
          meaning what exactly?????
          lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nigel Collins admitted that if The Ring policy had been in place during the mid 1990s (they had stopped awarding belts in the early 90s), that Darius Michalczewski would have had The Ring belt.

DM----> Gonzalez ------> Erdei

In 2001, The Ring started awarding belts again, and one of the ways you could get a vacant title was to unify the WBA/IBF/WBC belts. Roy Jones was awarded the LHW title for unifying those 3 titles. The Ring has since eliminated that way of filling a vacancy.

Comment

Working...
            X