A better win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
    So how about Calzaghe vs. Lacy?

Imo Kessler is a much better win for Calzaghe than Lacy was. And Calzaghe was a favorite vs. Kessler and a dog vs. Lacy.

It's not all about the perceived risk honestly. If so we are talking about "biggest upset".
    I dont recall Lacy being a favorite vs Joe... I still to this day do not even understand who Lacy has even beaten.

I get that Joe wanted an American to go to his country and look good against but I remember thinking WTF when that fight was made. Exactly like I did when Joe signed to fight Peter Manfredo.

I can see the view of Froch being the underdog while Cazlaghe and Kessler was a pretty even match going into the fight. Both wins are good and I couldn't make my mind up on which one was a better win...
    Last edited by WESS; 05-27-2012, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
      I dont recall Lacy being a favorite vs Joe... I still to this day do not even understand who Lacy has even beaten.

I get that Joe wanted an American to go to his country and look good against but I remember thinking WTF when that fight was made. Exactly like I did when Joe signed to fight Peter Manfredo.

I can see the view of Froch being the underdog while Cazlaghe and Kessler was a pretty even match going into the fight. Both wins are good and I couldn't make my mind up on which one was a better win...
      Lacy was a huge favourite.

Lacy was considered to be argubaly the best fighter at 168 at that point.

Really nothing alike to the Manfredo fight.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
        I dont recall Lacy being a favorite vs Joe... I still to this day do not even understand who he's even beaten.

I can see the view of Froch being the underdog while Cazlaghe and Kessler was a pretty even match going into the fight. Both wins are good and I couldn't make my mind up on which once was a better win...
        He was an underdog according to the betting line. And browsing through most "experts" predictions the consensus was that Lacy was much too powerful.

I suppose it was due to being undefeated, looking somewhat impressive doing so, a great amateur career and the build of a superhero.

Robin Reid was a decent win for Lacy. The division was just not all that for a long time. Even Kessler had not beaten a whole lot of superb opponents when fighting Calzaghe.

Having prime Calzaghe and Kessler in the super-6 would have been really interesting.
        Last edited by Barry Halls; 05-27-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Froch has a much better resume than Calzaghe, there is no doubt about this !

Froch could have quite easily defended his title in nottingham for 6 years and fight bums but he has fought the best of the best !

Comment

here's a prediction thread for Lacy Calzaghe http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64441

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
              So how about Calzaghe vs. Lacy?

Imo Kessler is a much better win for Calzaghe than Lacy was. And Calzaghe was a favorite vs. Kessler and a dog vs. Lacy.

It's not all about the perceived risk honestly. If so we are talking about "biggest upset".
              Completely on the money with that statement

Calz best win is Kessler, even though he was the favourite....and against lacy the underdog...

Bute seems to have been hyped up way to much for his actual ability....I dont even think he realised how high the standard was in the division till he got hit by froch....

Comment

Originally posted by RyunosukeRonin View Post
                You do realize he has many common opponents of Froch-Ward and was not invited to the S6 which left the cupboard pretty bare in terms of comp for him to face and the ones left Stieglitz,Pavlik and when Kessler pulled out all showed minimal effort inregards to fight him so yeah he had no Big names but there was a reason for this and when one became available he took it that's a tired argument
                You do realize during the SS Bute called out Cloud at a catchweight, then when Cloud gladly accepted, Bute then said thanks but no thanks:

- http://www.boxingscene.com/lucian-bu...ovember--42511

- http://www.boxingscene.com/team-bute...ud-2012--42516

Long story short, Bute called Cloud out for a 173lb catchweight fight. Team Cloud gladly accepted; only for Team Bute to turn around and decline their proposed fight because Bute was waiting on the SS winner.

My whole point is Bute had the chance to solidify his stance as "deserving" a shot at Ward, by fighting Cloud. Instead, he chose to fight Glenn Johnson coming off a loss, while admitting Glenn to be his "toughest" opponent to date.

Comment

well kessler beat froch himself. therefore kessler is a better win that untested weak bum booty

Comment

Froch has a better resume than Calzaghe

Comment

Originally posted by Le4- View Post
                      well kessler beat froch himself. therefore kessler is a better win that untested weak bum booty
                      calzaghe fought Kessler in his hometown, Froch fought in Denmark

Comment

Working...
                      X