Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Paul Williams Blueprint For Beating Margarito Is The One Cotto Should Follow

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
    Throw a million punches and have an iron chin? Don't think that will work with cotto.

He's just got to do what he did the first fight - box, but also learn to clinch when he has to and better be in tip top shape to go full 12 rounds and not run out of steam.
    No one is talking about the punch output or clinching.

What Williams did was circle Margarito and by doing so took away Margarito's uppercut and hooks. Cotto was boxing great in the frst fight but he was moving away giving Margarito all the momentum and making things worse by stopping on the ropes and letting Margarito tag him. BTW asking Cotto to clinch is not going to cut it, he never clinches and that is not something you teach in one camp. asking him to do so would take away his concentration IMO.
    Last edited by AnimalisticMeth; 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
      No one is talking about the punch output or chgin.

What Williams did was circle Margarito and by doing so took away Margarito's uppercut and hooks. Cotto was boxing great in the frst fight but he was moving away giving Margarito all the momentum and making things worse by stopping on the ropes and letting Margarito tag him. BTW asking Cotto to clinch is not going to cut it, he never clinches and that is not something you teach in one camp. asking him to do so would take away his concentration IMO.

You should watch Williams-Margarito over again then.

Because they were standing in the center of the ring, in the phone booth, trading shots.

Cotto can't do that. Period.

Comment

Animalistic, Pwill engaged in exchanges that Cotto can't sustain at this point in his career. PWill got shook a couple of times in some of them.

Cotto should just box Margarito and he'll be fine. Plaster gone, power gone. He will make it thru and he will win a UD - by 3-4 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
          Bro, Cotto cannot do that, he'd gas. Throwing 70 punches a round while constantly moving? Not a chance. Agreed that he stayed on the ropes too much, but that's why he needs to learn how to clinch.

I know clinching is not really part of Cotto's repetoire but there's a better chance of him learning how and when to tie Tony up than there is all of him all of a sudden turning into a volume puncher with endless stamina. Once Margarito lets his hands go he gets into a rythym but when you tie him up every time he begins to open up he has to reset and he's never able to get into said rythym.
          But how do you teach a man to clinch who once said "clinching is not boxing" or something along those lines? Is not something you can teach right away and again Cotto is not Mosley they are different fighters with different strenghts. Mosley is about explosive speed and clinches while Cotto is about timing and working off a left jab. I think circling Margarito would be more comfortable for Cotto and easier than clinching the guy and throwing bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombs View Post
            Animalistic, Pwill engaged in exchanges that Cotto can't sustain at this point in his career. PWill got shook a couple of times in some of them.

Cotto should just box Margarito and he'll be fine. Plaster gone, power gone. He will make it thru and he will win a UD - by 3-4 rounds.
            I agree with the box part I just don't think following the Mosley blueprint is the way to go. He could use some of what Mosley did but not the most important part of that gameplan since Cotto refuses to clinch or doesn't know how to. I agree with your prediction btw.

Comment

But how do you teach a man to clinch who once said "clinching is not boxing" or something along those lines? Is not something you can teach right away and again Cotto is not Mosley they are different fighters with different strenghts. Mosley is about explosive speed and clinches while Cotto is about timing and working off a left jab. I think circling Margarito would be more comfortable for Cotto and easier than clinching the guy and throwing bombs.
              He doesn't have the stamina to do that against Margarito. It's easy to say "circle pump the jab" but Margarito is going to crowd him every second.

Like I said, it's more likely for Cotto to learn how to clinch than it is for him all of a sudden have world class stamina to move laterally around the ring while throwing 70 punches a round....he just physically can't do that.

He retreated to the ropes in the 1st fight for a reason....he wanted to be stationary cause moving too much was making him tired. If he doesn't learn how to clinch he's gonna get stopped again, it's his only chance. Your asking him to do something he's physically incapable of doing.

Comment

I agree with the box part I just don't think following the Mosley blueprint is the way to go. He could use some of what Mosley did but not the most important part of that gameplan since Cotto refuses to clinch or doesn't know how to. I agree with your prediction btw.
                I don't think the Mosley blueprint is the way to go either. For me it's all about being smart, that should be the theme for Cotto. Use his skills, box him and be intelligent.. Cotto is capable of that.

The thing with Cotto is he gets hit and the wild warrior comes out. I think Diaz will help him with that, discipline thru the entire fight.

That chopping breaking down power is no longer inside Margaritos gloves, he can shook you no doubt but Cotto is a far superior BOXER and the difference in talent will show.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                  He doesn't have the stamina to do that against Margarito. It's easy to say "circle pump the jab" but Margarito is going to crowd him every second.

Like I said, it's more likely for Cotto to learn how to clinch than it is for him all of a sudden have world class stamina to move laterally around the ring while throwing 70 punches a round....he just physically can't do that.

He retreated to the ropes in the 1st fight for a reason....he wanted to be stationary cause moving too much was making him tired. If he doesn't learn how to clinch he's gonna get stopped again, it's his only chance. Your asking him to do something he's physically incapable of doing.
                  He won the first 6 rounds in their first fight by fighting the wrong fight and that was at a way faster pace than circling the guy, still I get your point and is somewhat a valid one. The fight is a littler over a month away so we are going to find out soon If Cotto can clinch or not or if his only chance in clinching.

BTW are you going to the fight?

Comment

He won the first 6 rounds in their first fight by fighting the wrong fight and that was at a way faster pace than circling the guy, still I get your point and is somewhat a valid one. The fight is a littler over a month away so we are going to find out soon If Cotto can clinch or not or if his only chance in clinching.

BTW are you going to the fight?
                    He won 4, maybe 5 of the first 6 rounds in the first fight, but he took a lot of damage in them. It was fought at a faster punching pace but the thing is....moving a lot when you're facing the kind of pressure a guy like Margarito brings really tires you out. I just don't think this version of Cotto can do that and keep Margarito off of him.

Yea I'm going and I'm either gonna drop a stupid amount of money partying afterwards or I'm gonna drop a stupid amount of money drowning my sorrows afterwards.
                    Last edited by savorduhflavor; 10-24-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

simple. fight the same fight he fought but this time keep it in the middle of the ring , go to the body of AM and smother and clinch......

the kid got a hell of a left hook to the body and if he uses it it can make a difference in the later rounds....

Comment

Working...
                      X