No announcement yet.

MAYWEATHER vs. MARTINEZ vs. ALVAREZ: Let's Discuss Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAYWEATHER vs. MARTINEZ vs. ALVAREZ: Let's Discuss Weight

I keep seeing people say that Sergio is "a small middleweight". Let's examine his size.

On August 14th, at the WBC 30-day weigh-in, Sergio Martinez was 174 pounds.

That is an in-shape and training Sergio. 174 pounds.

Just for grins, Mayweather's 30-day weight for the Ortiz fight was 149 pounds. Ortiz was 157.4. Floyd weighed in at 151 for Cotto (after drinking a quart of Gatorade. Vid below, see @7:28)

At the 7-day weigh-in for Chavez-Martinez, when Sergio was cutting to make weight, he was 167 pounds.

At this point, Maravilla is no longer really a 154-pounder. And, in truth, not a particularly small middleweight. (For comparison, Saul Alvarez' 30-day weight for Knockout Kingz was 167 pounds)

Now, I have no problem with Money May vs Maravilla Martinez at 154. In fact, that's a fight I'd really like to see. But Sergio Martinez is fully 2-3 weight divisions bigger than Floyd and Manny at this point. Sergio is MUCH closer in size to Andre Ward than to May & Pac.

I don't want or expect them to fight each other.
    Ward is simply too big whilst Floyd and certainly Manny are too small.

Even at a catchweight I think Ward coming down a couple of lbs wouldn't make a difference and I'm pretty certain Sergio can no longer make 154 safely.

Still there is plenty more to do at middleweight & some big fights coming up.
    Quillin vs N'Jikam winner would be great or Golovkin vs whoever he fights next.

Comment

Both fought at 154.

Both can fight at 154.

Nothing to discuss.

People need to stop desperately trying to conjure up new excuses for why this fight shouldn't happen.

Comment

30-day weights for Martinez-Williams:

Martinez- 176
        Williams - 162

Canelo Alvarez' 30-day weight for Mosley fight: 166 pounds. And he looked like this: http://www.boxingscene.com/photo-sau...-weigh---51460

Comment

Exaggerate much? 2-3 division above him?

All that matters is the weight they weigh in at. Its pretty simple.

Stop making excuses for Floyd

Comment

No one knows if Sergio can fight well at 154 anymore.

Why??? Because he hasn't been there in 4 years.

Could Floyd in 2009, 4 years since he'd been at 140, make 144 fine and healthy, let alone 140??? No, he couldn't.

If Sergio is a true SWW, than move down to 154 and fight there from now on. After all, the money has been at 154, why hasn't he gone down in weight then???

That's all I'm saying. The same peoplee saying "Well your speculating that Sergio can't make 154 anymore fine and healthy" are the same people speculating themselves by saying he can make 154 fine and healthy.

His last fight at 154 was in February 2009 against Cintron, almost 4 years and 7 fights ago. I didn't see people in 2009 saying Floyd could make 140 anymore, even though he's not a big WW and hadn't been to 140 in 4 years and 5-6 fights ago.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That.

Comment

lol.

i do agree that martinez is no longer a jr middle. he's a fullsized middleweight at this point, and might as well just admit it. no one's gonna be mad at him for wanting the superfights.

Comment

Sergio loses @ 154 or 160 I hope they fight

Comment

But but but Martinez fought at 154 before and Floyd just fought there so lets do it.

Hes a damn Middleweight people.

Comment

Working...
                    X