No announcement yet.

Afolabi's road to the top

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afolabi's road to the top

I ran away from home at the age of 16. Between the ages of 16 to 20 i mixed with the wrong friends/kids on the street. got in trouble with the law a lot.
    My mom passed when i was 20 years old. knowing an african mother, i knew there was no way she was not disappointed by the way i was living. It hurts more than you can imaging to know that my mother, a woman i loved so much was disappointed in me when she died.
    that same year (2000) i decided to flee to america. Yes FLEE. i arrived in los angeles with not a penny to my name, all i had was a brother that allowed me to stay in his apartment for 3 months.
    After moving out of my brothers, i moved into a student hostel where i got a job as a desk clerk. i didn't get paid, i just traded this services for free rent, the rent was only $75 a week as there was three bunk beds and 6 people in a room that i shared with traveling student from europe and around the world. Soon after that, i got a job as a D.j in a local strip-club, a strip-club that didn't have a license or permit to operate as a club. I was working 2 says a week at the strip club for $100 a night. i did this for about 3 months until the law shut the place down.
    i was back working in the hostel with no income, at times the only reason i had food to eat was because the foreign students in my room would hand me charity.
    A few weeks later i walked into a boxing gym in los angeles, while training there one day, i noticed the mirrors and windows were dirty, i made the owner who is now a close friend an offer to clean the mirrors every night because the fighters would sweat on it a lot. he gave me $50 a week to do this, and thats how i survived for the better part of a year.
    i decided to enter a field i had no training in or any idea what i was doing, i just watched the men and women who did it best do it, i copied everything they did and worked as hard as i could.
    12 years later, im 32 years old and its new years eve. I have a career. pleased to say that i am one of the best in the world at what i do. I have a beautiful place i call home. I have most people's yearly income in my checking account, and im going to celebrate NYE with a $12,000 watch on my arm. how far i have come.

Off his Facebook, true inspiration.

That's an inspiring story no doubt. Going from abject poverty to one of top cw fighter in boxing is a very admirable achievement.

Comment

What a dude.

Good luck to him.

Comment

Shame he doesn't fight more often though!

Comment

Read this yesterday, heck of a backstory (real "hard work, dedication") but I'm left wondering why he 'ran away from home at the age of 16' in first place.

Regardless, it's inspirational stuff.
          Last edited by Weebler I; 01-04-2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            Read this yesterday, heck of a backstory (real "hard work, dedication") but I'm left wondering why he 'ran away from home at the age of 16'.

Regardless, it's inspirational stuff.
            Who knows but it says he fleed to america if hes african im guessing the oppotunities are minimal

Comment

Interview with him below and some sparring with Klitschko, he has an interesting mixed trans-atlantic accent and is chasing the Huck trilogy:

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
                Who knows but it says he fleed to america if hes african im guessing the oppotunities are minimal
                He's not African, Juof, his mum was. He's a south London boy, like myself.

I left home at 16 too although I wasn't running away. It was just my old girls way of raising her kids.

I ended up in America as well. I should write my own inspirational message....

edit to add, Thanks for this D-Mize.

Comment

story gave me goosebumps.. i can somehow relate to where he said , his mother was diasappointed when she passed.. not exactly , but almost
                  Last edited by danceswithfire; 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X