Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Matthysse Discusses Peterson, Says Alexander is Tougher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Peterson goes toe- to -toe, with Matthysse it will be a good fight. But on the other hand, Peterson will be making a huge tactical error. IMO is dumb!!

Peterson has proven he can move and bang, why go toe to toe with a huge puncher like Matthysse, when his track record for absorbing big shots is marginal at best.

Comment

Best fighter Lucas will have faced since his loss to Alexander. Still I'm going with Matthysse by late ko.

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
        In the first few round he will, and Peterson's head and upper body movement are very good.

It's not that simple, but Lucas is a monster, and he's going to catch Peterson coming forward.

The only worry I have as a Lucas fan is his hand speed. If Lucas can't consistently put leather on Lamont from the jump, then Lamont might play tag all night.

You wouldn't think that by Lamont's reputation, but a fight of this magnitude, and you best believe he'll play it safe, if it's working for him.

Lucas by UD either way.
        Peterson's mentality is a "fighter", not a "boxer". I don't think he's capable of out-boxing Matts for 12 rounds cuz he'll be going against his stylistic strengths and instincts. Sure he has a 3 inch reach advantage, but he'll only use it if he can't make anything happen on the inside. Pete will try to smother Matt's offense or make him miss, but he's not gonna run or move excessively. He will be there all night for Matts to lay hands on him.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 05-15-2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
          Peterson's mentality is a "fighter", not a "boxer". I don't think he's capable of out-boxing Matts for 12 rounds cuz he'll be going against his stylistic strengths and instincts. Sure he has a 3 inch reach advantage, but he'll only use it if he can't make anything happen on the inside. Pete will try to smother Matt's offense or make him miss, but he's not gonna run.
          It's called game planning. Lucas isn't a mentally soft Kendall Holt, and he's not a china chinned Amir Khan. That's why they have breaks in between rounds, so his trainer can remind him to stay behind his jab, move and box.

Obviously Peterson's going to bang with him on occasion, but if he finds success with his jab and just boxing him early, then I'm pretty sure his trainer will remind him to keep doing that.

On the other hand, I think Lucas has improved drastically from his fight with Judah, and he's ready for this. I still got Lucas by UD.

Comment

Originally posted by g-wane View Post
            If Peterson goes toe- to -toe, with Matthysse it will be a good fight. But on the other hand, Peterson will be making a huge tactical error. IMO is dumb!!

Peterson has proven he can move and bang, why go toe to toe with a huge puncher like Matthysse, when his track record for absorbing big shots is marginal at best.
            Peterson does his best work on the inside he can't beat Matthysse just boxing and moving I think he has to go toe to toe with Matthysse some to win

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch85 View Post
              Peterson does his best work on the inside he can't beat Matthysse just boxing and moving I think he has to go toe to toe with Matthysse some to win
              He was boxing Ortiz very well, and he stayed away from fighting on the inside, minus the body shots that he landed from midrange, then moved back out.

You guys keep painting him as a inside only fighter. He can move and box. I've seen it plenty of times, and regardless of his strengths, Lucas isn't the one to utilize them on.

How much you wanna bet, Lamont straight boxes him from round 1 to round 12?

Watch his fight with Cayo. He tried to box with him the whole time, but once he figured out Cayo was being effective while boxing, he went into terminator mode.

Lucas isn't Cayo, and he's going to try an "exploit" Lucas's boxing. Which I doubt, because Lucas' boxing has very much improved.

Comment

It's called game planning. Lucas isn't a mentally soft Kendall Holt, and he's not a china chinned Amir Khan. That's why they have breaks in between rounds, so his trainer can remind him to stay behind his jab, move and box.

Obviously Peterson's going to bang with him on occasion, but if he finds success with his jab and just boxing him early, then I'm pretty sure his trainer will remind him to keep doing that.

On the other hand, I think Lucas has improved drastically from his fight with Judah, and he's ready for this. I still got Lucas by UD.
                I don't want to sound like I'm underestimating Pete's discipline, but I just can't imagine him sticking and moving for the majority of the fight. Not only does that game-plan play against his strengths, but LM seems adept at forcing his opposition to stand their ground and fight him off. I've heard from other posters that LP is gonna simply out-box LM, but I don't think they are that far apart in terms of boxing ability. LP and LM have different physical attributes, but I think they're pretty similar in terms of their skill-sets and mentality. Both give it their best every-time and are usually competitive, regardless of the style match-up that they're up against. LP has fought better opposition though.
                Last edited by kiaba360; 05-15-2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                  I don't want to sound like I'm underestimating Pete's discipline, but I just can't imagine him sticking and moving for the majority of the fight. Not only does that game-plan play against his strengths, but LM seems adept at forcing his opposition to stand their ground and fight him off. I've heard from other posters that LP is gonna simply out-box LM, but I don't think they are that far apart in terms of boxing ability. LP and LM have different physical attributes, but I think they're pretty similar in terms of their skill-sets and mentality. Both give it their best every-time and are usually competitive, regardless of the style match-up that they're up against. LP has fought better opposition though.
                  That's the thing. Lamont doesn't stick and move. He'll occasionally move, but mainly jabs, stays at a distance, and uses upper body movement, and uses slight, quick movements to get away.

He's not the traditional stick and move fighter, but he's just as effective in that sense. I definitely see him implementing that strategy, BUT I don't think it's going to be all that effective the whole fight.

Like you said, Lucas can box as well, not as good as Lamont, but his ability to cut the ring off, use angles, and power are going to be key in beating Lamont.

Comment

He was boxing Ortiz very well, and he stayed away from fighting on the inside, minus the body shots that he landed from midrange, then moved back out.

You guys keep painting him as a inside only fighter. He can move and box. I've seen it plenty of times, and regardless of his strengths, Lucas isn't the one to utilize them on.

How much you wanna bet, Lamont straight boxes him from round 1 to round 12?

Watch his fight with Cayo. He tried to box with him the whole time, but once he figured out Cayo was being effective while boxing, he went into terminator mode.

Lucas isn't Cayo, and he's going to try an "exploit" Lucas's boxing. Which I doubt, because Lucas' boxing has very much improved.
                    Peterson will box and move for 5-6 rounds if he tries to outbox Matthysse the whole fight he won't win doing that

Comment

Interesting to see the regard people have for Peterson's boxing ability. I always thought of him as a bit workmanlike. I don't mean that as an insult. He's the kind of guy that can get stunned early but he always just rolls his sleeves up, puts his head down, and goes to work. More relentless than technical.

To a certain extent, I think he's being seen as the boxer here because the emphasis on Matthysse's power leads people to see him as the crude puncher in the fight and Lamont as the technician. It's true that Lucas does throw some wide punches at times, but I think he's a better boxer than he's generally given credit for. I don't think anyone outside of the elite level guys is going to make him look 'dumb' in boxing terms. As Peterson himself said, his skill level is underrated.

Comment

Working...
                      X