Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the first dinosaurs evolved, sharks had already existed for millions of years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the first dinosaurs evolved, sharks had already existed for millions of years

Sharks are unique and amazing in that they have outlasted all other large creatures on earth. Sharks evolved over 420 million years ago, long before the earliest dinosaurs, which appeared 230 million years ago. When sharks first appeared, there was virtually no life on land.

from wikipedia:

Evidence for the existence of sharks dates from the Ordovician period, over 450 million years ago, before land vertebrates existed and before many plants had colonized the continents. The oldest generally accepted shark scales are from about 420 million years ago, in the Silurian period.
    http://www.elasmo-research.org/educa...logic_time.htm

Sharks appeared on the fossil scene about 455 to 425 million years ago. Those embodiments of prehistoric life, the dinosaurs, were relative late-comers - one of the earliest known genera (Herrerasaurus) dates back only about 230 million years.
    Although most life in the oceans died off during the mass extinction of 252 million years ago, The Great Dying, sharks survived. And when the dinosaurs were wiped out 65 million years ago, all the other large predators in the oceans became extinct, but not sharks.

Most large carnivores didn't survive for so long. For example, T-Rex (the largest land predator) was only on earth for about 1.5 million years. In the oceans, some large predatory dinosaurs survived much longer than land dinosaurs. The plesiosauria existed for 135 million years (the entire Jurassic and Cretaceous periods). However, like the land dinosaurs, they all died off 65 million years ago.

But sharks survived.

From BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Shark#p0036vd6
    Last edited by The Hammer; 03-18-2015, 09:04 PM.

Thats insane, always respect sharks or else one day....

Last edited by iLovesoccermoms; 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Shark Evolution

http://www.fathom.com/course/21701777/session3.html

The species Carcharodon (Carcharocles) megalodon, often known as 'megatooth' or megalodon, was a real giant, even larger than the whale shark, the largest living shark. An ancient relative of the great white shark, Megalodon was probably the most formidable predator ever to have swum in the sea, and one of the most dangerous animals ever to live on the planet.

Megalodon fossils are generally found in near-shore deposits, indicating it probably lived in the coastal regions of warm seas. The profusion of fossils of sea mammals, such as whales and dolphins, in the same rocks suggests there was an abundance of prey for it to feed on. Megalodon reached its greatest length and size during the Miocene, about 12 million years ago. The largest specimens were estimated to have measured about 16.8 m (55 ft) long, weighed 25 tonnes, and possessed an immense mouth with a gape of about 2 m (6 ft) that could swallow five adult humans in one gulp. Its jaws were lined with 15 cm (6 in) long triangular, razor-sharp teeth.

Comment

Comment

Sharks are my favorite species of animal, I've been fascinated with them since I was a child. HUGE respect.

Comment

Definitely not the mindless killing machines the media has branded them to be. They're actually very intelligent and curious, as well as the only species of shark that regularly sticks it's head above water to see what's going on outside of the ocean, as it's aware of a world (and potential meals) beyond the water.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
              Sharks are my favorite species of animal, I've been fascinated with them since I was a child. HUGE respect.
              Me too. Thanks to Jaws.
              I kinda developed a fear of the ocean tho thanks to them.
              Always pisses me right off when i hear about people hunting down a shark that attacked a swimmer. They should stay the fuk out of the water if they dont want to get eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                Me too. Thanks to Jaws.
                I kinda developed a fear of the ocean tho thanks to them.
                Always pisses me right off when i hear about people hunting down a shark that attacked a swimmer. They should stay the fuk out of the water if they dont want to get eaten.
                It was actually JAWS that made me a fan of sharks, as well. Though the film had the exact opposite effect on me that it had on most people - It simply made me even more curious about them.

I have a lot of hatred for a lot of things in this world, but shark fisherman are certainly very high on my list. I also agree about the "revenge killing" of sharks that attack swimmers or rvenge killing of any kind on an animal that attacks a human being). Any human being that goes into a predatory animal's (be it a Lion, Bear, Shark) kingdom and expects to come out unscathed deserves the death or maiming they often get for their stupidity, IMO.

Comment

Sharks are damn underrated. Not particularly aggressive, attacks only happen a couple of times a year. I used to love my shark Top Trumps. Basking shark/tiger shark ftw

Comment

Open Waters was ****in scary. I dont want to be eaten at night in the middle of the ocean. Id rather get cancer.
                    Im really tempted to do one of those shark cage dives. Id **** myself silly, but it would be amazing to get up close to a great white in the wild.

Comment

Working...
                    X