Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray Robinson Punched Harder Than Thomas Hearns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Robinson Punched Harder Than Thomas Hearns?

Agree?????????

No, I don't agree.

Comment

Robinson hit very very hard for sure but Hearns fists was sheer dynamite. One punch sheer destructive power. At Welter (though he carried his power up very well all the way to cruiser) I think Hearns is quite possibly the hardest hitting welterweight to ever live. The guy had the power of a heavyweight.

Comment

Robinson's power came mostly from an uncanny ability to catch opponents with blind punches, which he himself admitted. Look at any of his combination setups and you'll see why and how, it's never been replicated.

Comment

Hearns had the more powerful right hand, Robinson the more powerful left hook.

Overall I would personally say Hearns hit harder, but by a small amount.

Cuevas hit harder than both.

Comment

Originally posted by CuBaN HaWk View Post
            Agree?????????
            I don;t know about being a harder puncher and it's impossible to prove either way. I will say this thogh, Robinson was a far more effective puncher,... he has a massive advantage in skills,... he lands more often and that's why he's the GOAT... Robinson was more likely to knock you out,,.... disagree if you wish,.... but I think Ray is much higher rated than hearns for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by dancovboxer View Post
              Robinson hit very very hard for sure but Hearns fists was sheer dynamite. One punch sheer destructive power. At Welter (though he carried his power up very well all the way to cruiser) I think Hearns is quite possibly the hardest hitting welterweight to ever live. The guy had the power of a heavyweight.
              You may be right about at WW... but you have to admit there have been a great many WW's who hit like elephants, Hearns and Robinson are two names there.... lets name as many big punchers....... In my rankings at WW for KO punch power,.. I think,.. no I'm fairly positive that Tony DeMarco was the Monsterest WW puncher, but Ted Kid Lewis is right up there, man how that WW could bang,... Walker must have had maniacle power at WW too. ===== From what I've heard, Marty Servo could whack too......... Wow what a division.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
                Robinson's power came mostly from an uncanny ability to catch opponents with blind punches, which he himself admitted. Look at any of his combination setups and you'll see why and how, it's never been replicated.
                To be fair, whilst his punching power isn't anywhere near as heavy as Robinson's I do think Floyd Mayweather possesses a similar kind of ability. Consider the phenomenal check hook he put Hatton away with. I doubt that punch was anything like as heavy as the one Manny flattened Hatton with but it caught him completely cold and thus hit like a jackhammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
                  To be fair, whilst his punching power isn't anywhere near as heavy as Robinson's I do think Floyd Mayweather possesses a similar kind of ability. Consider the phenomenal check hook he put Hatton away with. I doubt that punch was anything like as heavy as the one Manny flattened Hatton with but it caught him completely cold and thus hit like a jackhammer.
                  not to discredit Floyd, but a big reason that punch did so much damage is because Hatton has way too much forward momentum going forward, and ends up causing extra damage to himself when he runs into punches.

Thats the reason a light punching Collazo was able to almost put him away. he literally leaps into left hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
                    not to discredit Floyd, but a big reason that punch did so much damage is because Hatton has way too much forward momentum going forward, and ends up causing extra damage to himself when he runs into punches.
                    True. But the way Floyd suckered him into throwing that lunging left hook (backing off from one corner to the other) was just beautiful to behold. A thinking man's KO (okay it wasn't a KO but you know what I mean) if ever there was one.

Comment

Working...
                    X