Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn Unsure When Burns Will Box Again, Felt Beltran Won

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hearn Unsure When Burns Will Box Again, Felt Beltran Won

Ricky Burns may never box again after fighting with a broken jaw for more than 10 rounds of his controversial world title defence against Raymundo Beltran, according to promoter Eddie Hearn.

The 30-year-old had titanium plates inserted in his jaw after retaining the WBO lightweight title following the draw with the impressive Mexican at the SECC in Glasgow and Hearn later cast doubt on his future.

Most observers thought Beltran had won the contest and there was immediate talk of a rematch but Burns faces greater concerns.

Hearn told BBC Radio 5Live on Sunday evening: "Everyone's talking about his next move. I can't even guarantee he'll box again at the moment.

"He'll be in for a couple of days and then we wait and see how it sets and forms and go from there. [Click Here To Read More]

Best of luck to Burns! The scoring wasn't his fault and he showed great courage and professionalism.

Comment

Ricky Burns has one of the biggest hearts in all of boxing. I really hope he is able to fight on, but they definitely should not rush him back in there. A move up in weight may be the smart thing to do, but I really can't see Burns beating any of the top 140 lbers. I think he needs a new trainer. I know he's been with Nelson a long time but they may have reached their peak in term of a trainer-fighter relationship. Burns should be using his height and length more than he does. He needs a trainer who can upgrade his questionable defense. As the fight started, Ricky looked great, but I was concerned he was leaving himself open a little more than he should have. He was throwing these flurries and getting clipped. Hopefully he can return and continue to refine his skills.

Comment

I felt Burns lost that, a brave brave man nonetheless, that was a good scrap! I'd watch a rematch..

Comment

Originally posted by TheMexHurricane View Post
          Best of luck to Burns! The scoring wasn't his fault and he showed great courage and professionalism.

Great post, you deserve to be back in the green.

Comment

Wow fighting with a broken jaw for 10 rounds? Burns is one tough SOB.

Comment

He looked in so much pain in the interview, god knows how he carried on with Beltrans hooks.

Saw the picture posted on here earlier, damn is all i can say!

So much credit to him.

Comment

wow props to hearns u dont hear many promoters admitting loses so that was cool but they need to keep ricky as far away from light welter as possible he has absolutely no chance with any of the top guys there

Comment

Both Beltran and Burns fought their asses off and gave the fans an exciting night of boxing. Beltran deserved the decision and the title. No doubt in my mind Burns, when healed, will want to give him a rematch but will Beltran want to come to Scotland again and potentially risk another unjust decision? Hearn seems to be pouring water on the suggestion that the return could be Stateside.

Comment

Originally posted by 619 southpaw View Post
                    wow props to hearns u dont hear many promoters admitting loses so that was cool but they need to keep ricky as far away from light welter as possible he has absolutely no chance with any of the top guys there
                    Props? More like he's smart enough to avoid the heat from fans around the world and he understands that his credibility will suffer if he tries to get cute.
                    Either way last nights decision delivered another black eye to the sport and will make fighters think twice before fighting in that part of the world (Re:Ref). If they man up like they should and grant Ray a re-match they should keep it right here in the USA and hire honest judges with no agenda.
                    Last edited by LAPete; 09-08-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X