No announcement yet.

Best chins ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best chins ever

1. Sugar Ray Robinson. 200 something fights and floored only once, stopped by Joey Maxim (yes Maxim did ko him, training won the fight for him) and the heat that night. What else would someone ask for?
    2.Marvin Hagler. Juan Roldan legally dropped him according to boxing rules, but ONLY because Hagler was on his way down from a slip and Roldan touched his head as he was going down (if a glove is laid on one before touching the canvas, one must be counted). 67 fights, traded blows with Roldan, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Fulgencio Obelmejias, John Mugabi, the decent punching Sugar Ray Leonard, and many of Philadelphia's best (I dont know if Bennie Briscoe was really a puncher would someone help me on this one?) I mean, solid chin!.
    3. Julio Cesar Chavez. Dropped for the first time in his 91st fight. Need I say more?
    4. Gene Fullmer. In sixty fights only the mighty Sugar Ray Robinson dropped him and stopped him at the same time.
    5.Kid Gavilan. Only reason I qualify him this low is, I forgot about him before the others. 166 fights and was never even dropped.
    6, Juan Laporte. This often forgotten chin of steel fought Salvador Sanchez, Wilfredo Gomez, Jeff Fenech, Kostya Tszyu, Azumah Nelson, Zack Padilla, John John Molina, Julio Cesar Chavez, Barry McGuigan, and the list goes on as far as impressive or decent punchers in his list. Dropped only once, and stopped only once, (by his corner!) against Padilla.
    7. which leads me to Salvador Sanchez. Flattened the all time greatest in punching power, Wilfredo Gomez, beat Azumah Nelson, never flinched in 27 rounds against Lopez. Was only dropped once and never knocked out in his career.
    8. Muhammad Ali. Yes, he was dropped often. But lets not forget who he faced: Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier (three times), Ringo Bonavena, Goerge Foreman, and Larry Holmes, the only one to stop him (once again, corner's decision). The knock on Ali, shall we use the word knock purpotedly, is that he was often knocked down by lesser opposition, Frazier included because I consider him a notch below Ali.
    9. Hector Camacho. Another often forgotten guy in these lists. But come on, the guy's got about 83 fights, fought Bazooka Limon, Ray Mancini (hey the punch's the last thing to leave a fighter!!!), Cornelius Boza Edwards, and, more importantly, Edwin Rosario, Julio Cesar Chavez, Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad. He may be a runner, but not getting kmocked out by any of those guys takes a hell of a chin.
    10. (tie) Carlos Monzon, Roberto Duran and Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins wasnt moved by Trinidad (although some punches made his face move in pain), but apart from him, Oscar De La Hoya and Roy Jones Jr he hasnt faced any credible punchers that I remember. Duran was only genuinely stopped by Thomas Hearns (his other knockout losses were to SR Leonard when he quit and to Pat Lawlor after he broke his arm) great chin. Esteban De Jesus dropped him twice, went about 60 fights before being dropped again. Not bad for someone that had about 125 fights. Monzon was dropped by Rodrigo Valdez and Denny Moyer but was never stopped in 84 fights. Once again, his knock is not facing that many punchers.

What do you think?
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    3.13%
    Marvin Hagler
    21.88%
    Julio Cesar Chavez
    18.75%
    Gene Fullmer
    0.00%
    Kid Gavilan
    0.00%
    Juan Laporte
    6.25%
    Salvador Sanchez
    3.13%
    Hector Camacho
    3.13%
    Muhammad Ali
    28.13%
    Other
    15.63%

The poll is expired.

Jake LaMotta, Tex Cobb, and George Chuvalo are sorely missing from your list.

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson was knocked down a hell of a lot more than only just the one time in his career...Try closer to about a dozen times.

And Kid Gavilan was knocked down on atleast two occasions (Ike Williams and Carmen Basilio).

Comment

Jake Lamotta

Comment

You got a point! But also, LaMotta, for example, everybody knows because he's always on these lists, although I have to admit I forgot about him when I was doing it. Laporte, writers always forget him. But the thing is Best chin, not most forgotten best chin so those above should have ranked. It would be better to pick fifteen instead of ten!!

Antonio

Comment

I stand corrected, my friend. I should have picked fifteen instead of ten.. Thanks for reminding me of LaMotta specially, the ground I made for Laporte and Camacho, (unfairly always forgotten when these lists are made by magazines) I lost by forgetting Jake.

Thanks,
            Antonio

Comment

who i've seen live

Hagler
              Cobb
              Pryor
              Foreman
              Holmes

Comment

Oh yeah and who can forget Saoul Mamby too? He had a great chin, was only knocked down or out once in about 25 years.

Antonio

Comment

There's been so many fighters throughout history that have shown an amazing ability to take punches it is very hard narrowing it down to only ten. Take Gorilla Jones for example...138 career fights and never KO'd. Plus he was only knocked down one time in all of those fights, and that was by the very heavy hitting, left hook artist of the middleweight division during that era of the 30's, Freddie Steele.

Just for a different opinion and one that's geared more to some of the toughest old-time fighters of the past, here's who 'The Ring' thought had the ten greatest chins of all-time, according to an article written in Nov. 1990;

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/T...atestchins.htm

Comment

I dunno about you but i have seen Ali take some of the most brutal beatings and he just stands up after it all and comes back with more.

I love the punch that Frazier throws at him that knocks him down in their first meeting (ie not the Thrilla in Manilla). That punch is probably in my top 3 favourite punches of all time. **** im gonna try and learn that punch and do it to someone when i spar next lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X