Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: biggest factor for boxing's decline in US. PPV to blame the most?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main problem is that the best don't fight the best, and the few morons that still follow boxing are actually happy when the big fights don't happen.

Comment

aside from HW I think PPV is killing it more...

Comment

The worlds changed. Not many people want to see two men scrap it out anymore. That's the main reason.

Boxing peaked in the '20s with Dempsey at the head of it, since then there was a steady decline. Even before PPV. It may have revived every so often, under the likes of Louis or Ali, but it was never at the same level.
        Last edited by Capaedia; 05-13-2012, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
          The worlds changed. Not many people want to see two men scrap it out anymore. That's the main reason.

Boxing peaked in the '20s with Dempsey at the head of it, since then there was a steady decline. Even before PPV. It may have revived every so often, under the likes of Louis or Ali, but it was never at the same level.
          I agree and disagree. Boxing was never the same level true, but it was a steady top 3 sports base on the Tv Ratings research I did, in terms of overall viewing numbers.

Example a third of England watched Benn vs Eubank. Boxing was a steady top 3 Sport in England all the way up to the early 2000's. Behind obviously the big one 'football' (soccer) and the #2

You can make a case Boxing was the #1 sport in American during the Ali days or at least #2

In the 80's during the Fab four , you can make a case for boxing being the #3 sport over the Pre Jordan NBA, and just behind baseball and the NFL. The big fights in the 80's actually out did baseball and NFL playoff numbers.

The 90's was the first real real signs of boxing's decline from a elite sport and even then most major newspaper groups covered the likes of Holyfield Bowe Tyson to a much larger extend then they did Mayweather or Pacquiaio.

Comment

Working...
          X