No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes On Marciano, Louis, Ali And Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Holmes On Marciano, Louis, Ali And Tyson

After reading this I think Butterfly and Larry Holmes are the same person....

EL: A little word association, tell me the first thing that comes to mind. I’ll start with Rocky Marciano?

LH: He was a good fighter, strong and powerful for his size and from what I have seen and heard he was a very determined fighter. You can’t put those guys like Marciano or anyone else in with today’s class of fighters. Fighters today are much bigger, stronger and quicker and not only that but referees, judges and doctors back then were very strict and if your head got busted up the fight would be stopped.

EL: Joe Louis?

LH: Joe Louis was a good Heavyweight, good boxer but he was kind of in the same boat as Marciano, weighing about 190 to 200 lbs. The guys today are just too strong and back then they would take many hard punches to land one. I don’t think Joe Louis could take the punches today fighting in this era.

EL: Muhammad Ali?

LH: Muhammad could take a very good punch. He was slick, he could move, he could hit, make you miss, good hand speed and combinations and one of the greatest fighters of all time in my opinion. He would have been tough for anyone to beat including me. With both of us in our prime I still think I would have won. It would have been very tough.

EL: Mike Tyson?

LH: Mike Tyson would have been a good sparring partner for me and Muhammad Ali because Tyson was a fast fighter and he could punch and throw good combinations. Those guys were made for me and Muhammad because they come straight in and don’t back up but you had to watch out for his punching power but if we could have neutralized that then we would have been fine.

Larry Holmes was a good fighter but his views on old boxers are alittle wierd.
    him beating muhammad ali?
    marciano not being able to beat todays hw's?
    Tyson only good enough to be a sparring partner?
    kinda makes you wonder how hard he's been hit

Comment

I'm sure Larry can be very gracious, but he's known more for his idiotic public comments.

Comment

"I think the older fighters had a lot more skill and heart than today's fighters. Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Ali Jack Dempsey, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, Ken Norton, Jerry Quarry, George Chuvalo.....all were great fighters and hard to rank. Guys that we didn't hear too much of like Jimmy Young, Jeff Merritt, Bossman Jones were great fighters also and could beat today's guy." - Larry Holmes (said by him on his website)

Comment

Originally posted by SABBATH
          After reading this I think Butterfly and Larry Holmes are the same person....

EL: A little word association, tell me the first thing that comes to mind. I’ll start with Rocky Marciano?

LH: He was a good fighter, strong and powerful for his size and from what I have seen and heard he was a very determined fighter. You can’t put those guys like Marciano or anyone else in with today’s class of fighters. Fighters today are much bigger, stronger and quicker and not only that but referees, judges and doctors back then were very strict and if your head got busted up the fight would be stopped.

EL: Joe Louis?

LH: Joe Louis was a good Heavyweight, good boxer but he was kind of in the same boat as Marciano, weighing about 190 to 200 lbs. The guys today are just too strong and back then they would take many hard punches to land one. I don’t think Joe Louis could take the punches today fighting in this era.

EL: Muhammad Ali?

LH: Muhammad could take a very good punch. He was slick, he could move, he could hit, make you miss, good hand speed and combinations and one of the greatest fighters of all time in my opinion. He would have been tough for anyone to beat including me. With both of us in our prime I still think I would have won. It would have been very tough.

EL: Mike Tyson?

LH: Mike Tyson would have been a good sparring partner for me and Muhammad Ali because Tyson was a fast fighter and he could punch and throw good combinations. Those guys were made for me and Muhammad because they come straight in and don’t back up but you had to watch out for his punching power but if we could have neutralized that then we would have been fine.
          of course he wouldn't give tyson any credit, tyson beat his ass and was the only man to ever stop holmes, and holmes fought many times after that, mercer, holyfield, and others still couldn't do what tyson did years later. and him talking like he and Ali are the same fighter is bogus as hell.

Comment

What a ****in joke! ali would kick his ass anytime from 63-75. this bitter old fool must be more punchy than I thought.

Comment

him beating muhammad ali?
              marciano not being able to beat todays hw's?
              Tyson only good enough to be a sparring partner?
              kinda makes you wonder how hard he's been hit
              lol! I never liked Holmes anyway. He worships a statue of himself that has a speaker system in it's arse that comes out with **** daily.

Comment

i guess holmes is bitter for all the ****kickings ali gave him in sparring.

Comment

what a cockstain.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
                    i guess holmes is bitter for all the ****kickings ali gave him in sparring.
                    Ahem..Ali wasn't doing the ****kicking bro.

But i agree, Holmes has the worst caracter of any HW champ ever. Maybe James Toney will surpass him if he wins the title.

Comment

Working...
                    X